Virgin America

BarbaB

Has anyone flown this airline, and if so, how strict are they on the 16 pound carry-on restriction?? Jeeze - our carryon itself is 10 pounds, and the laptop would put it at just about 16lbs. I, myself, don't see the need for the computer, but DH seems to go into withdraw without it. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Barb

Barb, We just flew home from Seattle last month on Virgin America. I really do not think you will have a problem. They do charge for a 2nd bag but their limit on the first checked bag is 60 pounds not 50. Also they are an extremely laid back airline and extremely friendly reminds me ever so slightly of Southwest in attitude. Now the planes are... well lets just say think ultra modern and think youth. The planes interior is all white with black lights for lighting, the seats are comfy black leather seats and in front of every seat is a computer screen with live TV not recorded, music videos, games, of course flight map and as well as being able to IM people in other seats on the plane for chatting. If you want to purchase a snack or acholic beverage you just order and pay for it on the screen with a credit card.

I actually would highly recommend them and hope they start up more routes very soon.

Thanks Lisa. Did they actually weigh the carryon? Ours might be 18 lbs by the time we are done-and it is carrying my CPAP, so it may well be considered exempt. I don't need this worry 3 days before the trip - we specifically got this bag because it has a dedicated laptop compartment, but it also has some more umpf to it.

Barb

Thanks Lisa. Did they actually weigh the carryon? Ours might be 18 lbs by the time we are done-and it is carrying my CPAP, so it may well be considered exempt. I don't need this worry 3 days before the trip - we specifically got this bag because it has a dedicated laptop compartment, but it also has some more umpf to it.

Barb

No they did not weigh carry ons, nor did they even really look at carry ons. There was a guy in front of us that I saw carry on a regular size carry one that probably fit under the seat and a very large back pack that was loaded that he shoved up in the bins above.

The virtual Oceania report that is on the front page of CC discusses the traveler's experience on Virgin ATLANTIC concerning a carry-on / laptop issue. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the policies might be the same.

Can't assume this. Although Richard Branson is behind Virgin America, the U.S. domestic carrier has gone a long way to distance itself from its European counterpart in order to abide by U.S. ownership regulations.

Virgin America follows domestic policies in general. Their website does not indicate a carry-on weight limit, which seems to be more prevelant in Europe.

Thanks to all. I called them, and Misty in baggage services said that as long as it is a standard carryon, then there should be no problems. Also, our camera bag is counted as his "personal" item, so I guess we are good to go.

Seattle and Alaska, here we come!!!

Barb

Barb, I have heard great things about Virgin America so you guys should be fine flying with them. We will be flying with them next month from LA to Seattle for our cruise on the Westerdam too. Anyway enjoy your trip!!!

Archived