Couldn't make the final payment date

hatchetjack5

Everyone has their own system that, hopefully, works for them. Ours is to use our CCL credit card for the entire cruise by charging the deposit, paying it off, charging a third, paying it off, etc. We also buy a $50 funship $'s twice a month, so our onboard account is paid for. We are accumulating points toward cruises at a pretty good clip this way.

You and me both........we must be a rare breed;) :D

...and we have the comfort of knowing that is the vendor "pulls a quick one" we are pretty much covered. The cc company will do research and pull the charge until resolved. There are many benefits of paying with a cc...I enjoy using mine...

I agree that CC's are not inherently bad. I put everything (cable bill, cell phone, groceries, etc.) on one card, which is also linked to my corporate card of the same brand. At the end of each month, I pay it off and rack up the points from both corporate expenses and personal. I use the points at Christmas time for gifts. I have been joking with my family that I am being very financially irresponsible by going on my upcoming cruise. My department is restructuring again, and goodness knows if we will all have jobs by the end of this year. The reality is that I keep a good cushion in the bank and carry no debt from month to month. The house is paid off, so no problem there (except the ever escalating taxes). That being said, paying off the CC's each month takes a certain amount of discipline. I can apply this ruthlessly to my finances, but not so much to the waistline:rolleyes:. I wish the OP the best of luck. Family comes first no matter what, and it was generous of them to help provide for loved ones. Many children these days just abandon their parents and other aging relatives. Even if the cruise doesn't work out, you will reap bonus points of a different kind for your good deed. These points pay a dividend quite a bit more valuable than cruises and such.:)

I try to get every expense onto a credit card. As long as the system is set up to subsidize credit card users (rebates, dispute rights, extra warranties and insurance, grace periods, etc . . .), I will continue to use one. It's a tool and can be used for great benefit or misused like any other.

I just don't get the "I only use cash, I don't believe in credit cards" or "old school" line of thinking.

I put every expense possible on my two no-fee rewards credit cards and have done so for years. I have never, ever paid a dime of interest on a credit card or on any installment financing deals... paying non-deductible interest is a terrible deal. What can possibly be so bad about a credit card if you've got the self-discipline to not overcommit yourself on what you're spending your money on and carrying zero balance from one month to the next?

I guess the answer is if you don't trust yourself, then cash-only is the way to go.

My credit card miles and cash rebates provide a decent 1-3% return on money I'd spend anyway... why not take the free money? Of course, it is the irresponsible users of these cards that are paying for the "free money" I'm extracting. Personally, I carry very little cash and write maybe 2 or 3 checks a month otherwise.

I just don't get the "I only use cash, I don't believe in credit cards" or "old school" line of thinking.

I put every expense possible on my two no-fee rewards credit cards and have done so for years. I have never, ever paid a dime of interest on a credit card or on any installment financing deals... paying non-deductible interest is a terrible deal. What can possibly be so bad about a credit card if you've got the self-discipline to not overcommit yourself on what you're spending your money on and carrying zero balance from one month to the next?

I guess the answer is if you don't trust yourself, then cash-only is the way to go.

My credit card miles and cash rebates provide a decent 1-3% return on money I'd spend anyway... why not take the free money? Of course, it is the irresponsible users of these cards that are paying for the "free money" I'm extracting. Personally, I carry very little cash and write maybe 2 or 3 checks a month otherwise.

Each person has their own way of doing things... neither is wrong or bad. For me, it's not "old school" (I'm 37), I had credit cards in my 20's, and decided when I turned 30 that I didn't want them anymore. I have a few credit cards for my business that earn more than enough rewards, but for my personal use, I prefer to use cash... it's a preference. It has nothing to do with not trusting myself, or being irresponsible... it is a personal decision. I don't carry cash, and I hate checks... it's worked for me for the past 7 years, but may not work for someone else. I certainly wouldn't come down on someone or make assumptions about people based on how they choose to pay for things. I personally think that credit cards take advantage of people, very young people, and they exploit the weaknesses of many people in this country...they make a killing abusing others (although I also have an issue with the people that do this to themselves as well, but they have help in doing it), I choose not to support companies like that in my personal life, but I hold no ill will towards people that do, like I said, I use them for my business... it's just a personal choice.

Some people have self-discipline and use credit cards wisely.:)

Some people don't have self-discipline, but know it and don't use credit cards. ;)

Some people don't have self-discipline, don't know it and get into all sorts of trouble.:eek:

To each their own.

Some people have self-discipline and use credit cards wisely.:)

Some people don't have self-discipline, but know it and don't use credit cards. ;)

Some people don't have self-discipline, don't know it and get into all sorts of trouble.:eek:

To each their own.

and that's a the truth!!! Good job stating it so well.:D

Show me any judgment that I passed. I simply stated facts.

The OP stated he/she is short of money because of a loan to his/her parents so they could hold onto their house. I'm not sure taking care of one's parents in their advanced age constititutes "poor planning". That's what kids SHOULD be doing if it's needed.

Bottom line: You could have been a little less heavy handed with your statement of "facts".

Also on your sig, it's "glorious" not "gloryous".

I don't have a single credit card. My bank card is a Visa & I use that for everything. If I don't have the money in the bank, I don't do it.

Same here. I use my mastercard check card for everything. If the money ain't there........I don't buy. No debt, no stress. :D

Archived