Summit vs RCCL Splendour

Travelalot2

We are looking at taking a med. cruise on either the Summit or the RCCL Splendour of the Seas. Although there are differences in ports, # days, etc., we are more interested in the ship experience at this point. We would be reserving an aft cabin with the larger balconies on each ship (D1 on Splendour vs. CC on Summit). Although the Splendour is 7 days and the Summit is 12, we have already decided that we would take the same vacation time and while not seeing the exact same ports, be close (which is why I am interested in the ship experience). We are diamond members on RCCL and have cruised on the Brillance in the med. before which led me to Celebrity for something different (but I don't get the same cost benefits on Celebrity). We loved the Brillance sized ship. Please help me decide.

We are looking at taking a med. cruise on either the Summit or the RCCL Splendour of the Seas. Although there are differences in ports, # days, etc., we are more interested in the ship experience at this point. We would be reserving an aft cabin with the larger balconies on each ship (D1 on Splendour vs. CC on Summit). Although the Splendour is 7 days and the Summit is 12, we have already decided that we would take the same vacation time and while not seeing the exact same ports, be close (which is why I am interested in the ship experience). We are diamond members on RCCL and have cruised on the Brillance in the med. before which led me to Celebrity for something different (but I don't get the same cost benefits on Celebrity). We loved the Brillance sized ship. Please help me decide.

I've cruised both ships and this one is not even close -- the Summit is the same size as the Brillance, with less passengers, and superior cuisine and service. We did the 7 day Med cruise on the Splendor and the 12 day Med cruise on the Millennium (sister ship to the Summit) and everything about the Millennium cruise was top notch. We've pretty much given up on Royal Caribbean because their are too many people, too many kids, and the food is very mediocre.

I vote the Summit!:rolleyes: :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Although we enjoy cruising on both lines, I would have to vote for Celebrity over RCCL in this case. We were on Summit for a transatlantic this year right before the dry dock. It was a fantastic ship.

Splendour of the Seas is a smaller, older ship. There's nothing wrong with it, but I would rather have the elegance of Summit in the Med.

You can't go very wrong with either ship. Have a wonderful cruise.

We did a 10-night Mediterranean cruise on our honeymoon in 1998 on the Splendour of the Seas when she was new (entered service 1996). And we sailed a 12-night TA on the Summit in April (same as Bubbie617, hi Bubbie!). INMO there really is no comparison - the Summit is in a different league - a much better ship even though she is not new (2001), the cabins better, food, service and ambiance a world apart.

Berlitz rates Splendour with 4 stars and 1,499 points (out of 2,000) while the Summit gets 4+ stars and 1,661 points.

I am a bit partial having worked on Summitt for 6 months.... but it is an amazing ship... one of the best from the long list of ships ive been on.... Also I do not know if it works in the other direction but RCCL made me a diamond member because I am elite Captions Club member. SO Celebrity might make you eliute since you are Diamond. call the captions club or send them an email... you can get there contact info on the celebrity main page...

Since you are diamond on Royal Caribbean, you will be recognized as elite when you sail on Celebrity. Just call Captain's Club before you cruise in order to enroll. You won't get any special discounts (balcony etc.) with your elite status and Celebrity's loyalty programs pale against those provided by Royal Caribbean, but many who have sailed on both lines feel that food, service and ambiance are better on Celebrity. That wasn't necessarily our experience or opinion on either the Constellation or the Century but we did enjoy both of those cruises.:)

I have also sailed on both ships & we are elite & diamond. We have had the aft cabins on the M class ships & there are no other aft cabins that can compare. I would definately go with the summit also for the resons the other posters have explained.

Thanks everyone. I feel much better now with our choice. We booked early on the Summit so we were able to snag a deck 7 aft, something I"m really looking forward to. I think we'll like the extra balcony space since our 17-year old with be us as well. It's a CC room and besides what the website says about it, I'm not sure how much "extra" that gets you But, it sounds nice. Any additonal thoughts on the Summit..... things you really enjoyed about it or tips?

Archived