One day ?

We are arriving by Cruiseline around 07:00am and staying overnight leaving early in the morning for our flight home.

I am interestd in the Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, and the Ho-Ho bus city stops. Can this be all done in one day or would that be rushing things and hence I would appreciate nothing.

If this is too much for one day any recommendations on what to do for this one day?

We are arriving by Cruiseline around 07:00am and staying overnight leaving early in the morning for our flight home.

I am interestd in the Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, and the Ho-Ho bus city stops. Can this be all done in one day or would that be rushing things and hence I would appreciate nothing.

If this is too much for one day any recommendations on what to do for this one day?

Sure it can be done but it is a pretty full day. I would suggest that you get your bags to your hotel, check them with the bell desk and then go over to the North Shore to do the Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mtn. Skyride. Come back into the city, get the hoho trolley, then head for the park and enjoy the free shuttle in the late afternoon. You won't see everything in the park as it is 1000 acres but you will see some of the highlights. Similarly you won't be able to get off at all of the hoho stops but you will see a lot of the city.

Yes it can all be done in one day - I would head for the Suspension Bridge and Grouse perhaps in the morning before the crowds descend upon these two popular attractions and then return to the City in the afternoon and do the hop on hop off and spend the remainder of your time in Stanley Park.

Some others might suggest that you do the Bridge and Grouse in the evening just so that you can see the city skyline at night and possibly have dinner on the mountain if it is a clear day.

You don't say when you will be in Vancouver but if it is between Mid June and Mid September there is a free hop on hop off shuttle bus running in Stanley Park.

You also don't say where you will be staying - in the downtown or out in the suburbs.

Keep the questions coming and I and the others on this board will be more than happy to try and answer them.

Cheers

Dennis

With your limited time and wanting to see as much as possible of Vancouver move to a downtown hotel. You are going to waste hours comuting back & forth + the cost of cab fare will eat up your savings .....

That hotel is close to the airport but none of Vancouver's best attractions...

You can get to it by city bus in approx 35 - 45 minutes each way from downtown or a cab ride of about 20 minutes (depending on traffic and time of day - not rush hour) at approx $30 each ride + tip....

Try going on Price Line and bidding for a downtown hotel 4* and see what kind of a deal you can come up with....

Thanks for the input. It is great having such insight at my fingertips

:-). We want to be near the airport because our plane leaves real early the next morning. In addition to the expense and loss of time you mentined, I also found out that the Pier will only hold luggage until 04:00. I am thinking a car rental may be the best bet for us. For about $67USD we can pick it up a Canada Place and drop it off at the airport.

Is Vancouver Car friendly? Will we be able to find non-expensive parking at Grouse, Capilano, and Stanley?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

"Will we be able to find non-expensive parking at Grouse, Capilano, and Stanley?"

First - there is no free parking in Stanley Park - in fact the rates go up in the summer - the extra revenue is used to pay for the free shuttle that operates in the Park in the summer

As for Grouse - they have two lots - a paved and a gravel one - the gravel one is free and about a 2 minute walk to the gondola. The gravel lot is heavily used by people doing the Grouse Grind trail and is often near capacity early in the day especially on weekends.

As for Cap Bridge - there is both street and off street parking - I have never parked there so I don't know the score but I believe that you pay for your parking in the off street lot.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the input. It is great having such insight at my fingertips

:-). We want to be near the airport because our plane leaves real early the next morning. In addition to the expense and loss of time you mentined, I also found out that the Pier will only hold luggage until 04:00. I am thinking a car rental may be the best bet for us. For about $67USD we can pick it up a Canada Place and drop it off at the airport.

Is Vancouver Car friendly? Will we be able to find non-expensive parking at Grouse, Capilano, and Stanley?

Not to trip on anything that Ut has said but yes Vancouver is car friendly but as in any large city parking is expensive; expect that in the downtown area it will run about $5 and hour in parkades. As we do not have much in the way of freeways expect to drive mainly on city streets which can become congested...not in a New York sense but congested nontheless. I would suggest that a navigator with a map is a good idea.

Pd - funny we were both posting at the same time and basically were saying the same thing.

Great minds think a like.:)

We have company from the south Okanogan visiting so will be off the boards tomorrow. If the weather is good may go up to Earls Cove and catch the Q of T and go up to Powell River to have lunch at the great Thai restaurant there which is across the street from the Westview ferry terminal...its called the Thaidal Zone if you are ever up that way. If we go we will likely take a run up to Lund and have a beer at the hotel there as well. Then get back down here for halibut and spot prawns on the barbe (did a super roast on a cedar plank and a bed of rosemary tonight).

PD and friends - have a good day tomorrow - the weather forecast does look favorable for your little trip.

Just finished watching the first night of the fireworks competition from our buildings roof top terrace - we get a good view of the fireworks - there is only one building that blocks some of the view - mainly the lower fireworks and one of the other owners brought out a blaster so we had live music to listen to the awesome display of colors and light.

Cheers

Dennis

I've used the bus to go from the Holiday Inn Airport to downtown. It worked out well for us, but it sounds like renting a car is the best thing for you to do. We also did the hop on/off bus which was very nice overview of the city. We had dinner at the revolving restaurant. We started eating when it was light and it was dark when we finished. Quite nice!

Have a wonderful cruise and postcruise experience.

Archived