Hard to get excited

mom2agr8boy

We got the final results today that we have won the Alaskan cruise that our distributor gives away. It is a cruise/awards banquet. I have been looking so forward to it and have been posting for months on this board and NCL board. Thursday my husband found out he had a heart condition and Friday at the age of 38 he was undergoing quad bypass. At first I said that the trip was off (he wasn't going to go due to having to watch after his mom who has health issues). He is insisting that I go. I am now saying that I will go, but still reluctant. I have Cellular south cell phone. I am woundering how the service is? He is recovering great, but I guess I am getting a little like a mother hen over him.

Life is short for us all. Just go! My husband's father is near death w/health issues. My husband's mother was in the emergency room this week w/health issues. There's a hurricane on the way and we're leaving in 4 days. We are going! :)

Looking at my last reply it looks so cold the way I worded it. I don't mean it in that way. I know if it was my husband I would feel the same way as you! But life is really short and you won't be gone that long. Just keep in touch with him and you both will be fine for the very short time that you will be gone.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

About phone service. I discovered last year when I was booking a South American cruise, that NCL is working with AT&T. So if you can't get enough bars on land, you can always use the ship's system. HOWEVER, even though you may use AT&T as your service provider it is a roaming service ($2.95 min). While at port you shouldn't have any problems.

Check with your cell phone provider.

I am also from MS and have cellular south. I was able to get access in most ports while on Alaskan cruise in May. Depends on what itinerary you are cruising. Be sure and check cruiseline website for emergency contact info and have a great cruise!!

momtoagr8boy

DH and I have lived for many years with a chronic illness. We decided early on that we would live each day as it came. In doing so we are creating a wealth of memories rather than a ton of regrets.

I went thru a very serious surgery about 6 weeks ago. My neurosurgeon said I would be able to fly in one month. Could there be a chance he may still be able to go? You could get porters to help with your luggage. I am planning to move around on the plane every hour or so. I do hope this works out for you. If it just doesn't, is there a possiblilty you could re-schedule your cruise?

We got the final results today that we have won the Alaskan cruise that our distributor gives away. It is a cruise/awards banquet. I have been looking so forward to it and have been posting for months on this board and NCL board. Thursday my husband found out he had a heart condition and Friday at the age of 38 he was undergoing quad bypass. At first I said that the trip was off (he wasn't going to go due to having to watch after his mom who has health issues). He is insisting that I go. I am now saying that I will go, but still reluctant. I have Cellular south cell phone. I am woundering how the service is? He is recovering great, but I guess I am getting a little like a mother hen over him.

Your cruise isn't until 9/14? That's a long way away. Why can't your husband go by then? :confused:

This is definitely something to think about, isn't it ?? I probably would not consider him going on this trip. My DH had four bypasses as well and then had to go through 3 months of physical therapy at our local hospital's "gym".....three times a week, following the surgery. It takes a lot out of a person to go thru such a huge surgery and I just do not think I could risk my husband going so far from his doctors so soon. But, whether you should go, 8 wks. or so following his open heart.......hmmmm.....only you can decide that. I am so sorry for your situation.....but I do understand. Believe me......I do understand. gg

Count your blessings. In many instances these types of illnesses go unnoticed until it is too late. Your husband is so lucky to have found this condition and taken the steps to correct it. Whether you go on your cruise or not is something only you can decide but you should be so happy that you and your DH can now look forward to many more years (and cruises) together.

Sorry.......I totally misunderstood the part of your OP that said your husband was not going on this cruise, but you were trying to decide if YOU should go. I think within two weeks you will know if your husband seems to be doing really well and if the cardio surgeon and cardiologist are pleased with his progress. Then, if it were me, and I felt like he would indeed take care of himself and notify the doctors should he not feel well......in the least........, then I might plan on going. I mean, is he the type of guy who has taken this very seriously and will attempt to really take care of himself? know this is difficult and you are both in my thoughts. gg

Hello! Although my husband did not have the by pass we had this nice wake up call when my husband was only 37. He actually had 2 heart attacks within a few weeks, one a silent one and the other was a nice one. By the time they got him to the hospital 2 hrs later he was lucky to be alive. This was almost 7 yrs ago. During those 7 yrs we have had a few more scares. I get so angry at times as we are NOT to have this kind of medical issue at our age..of course there is no age limit or anything but that is my thought.

I so know how you feel about being a mother hen. My poor husband I think he wanted to divorce me at times at first. (LOL even now sometimes) It is hard to not be one I think. In time it does get better though :-)

I am sorry if I am rambling I just saw your husband was young like mine and thought I would write. Anytime you need to talk my email is below and please do not hesitate to email me..I am a good listener who has sorta been there done that.

SO glad to hear he is doing so well!

Thursday my husband found out he had a heart condition and Friday at the age of 38 he was undergoing quad bypass. At first I said that the trip was off (he wasn't going to go due to having to watch after his mom who has health issues). He is insisting that I go.

He is recovering great, but I guess I am getting a little like a mother hen over him.

On our second Alaska cruise (2005) our best friends went with us. It was their first cruise. In March before we were scheduled to leave in early May he found out that he needed bypass surgery(4 bypasses) and carotid artery surgery. He had the surgery on April 1st. We were sure that he would not be able to go on the cruise since we were scheduled to leave just 5 weeks after the surgery. Well, from the beginning his doctor said, don't give up on the idea of his going on the cruise. He did so well that the 4 of us left for Seattle 5 weeks after his surgery. He did fine and had a wonderful trip. The Princess reps at Canada Place where we were boarding the ship gave us priority boarding because by the time we got there after our 4 hour bus ride from Seattle he was very tired. We were looking forward to several hours in line. When we explained the situation to the Princess rep she immediately took us to a special line for those with medical problems - not just him and his wife but all of us. BTW, he was 72 at the time. Have you talked to your husband's doctor about whether he can go on the cruise? It might not be out of the question.

I agree with several of the previous posters, every person is different and you will know in a few weeks how your DH is recovering and whether you will be comfortable to go ahead on the cruise.

About four years ago my Dad, who was 55 at the time, had a quintuple bypass. We had been planning for his wedding and tried to get him to change the date, but he insisted. Six weeks after surgery he got married and most people would have never known he had been ill.

I think your DH certainly has the advantage of age and I wish him a quick recovery.

Archived