Vehicle Rentals in Tortola

caribbeanchickie

We will be in Tortola the end of Oct and were thinking of renting a jeep to see the island. We've been there before and just want to see the island on our time this time.

Has anyone rented a Jeep or vehicle in Tortola? If so, how much? who? and would you recommend it and why.

Thanks

Michelle

• 1 month later...

We rented from Hertz in Road Town last Feb, cost was about $85 total. There location was very easy to get to just outside the port gate to the right. I am a bit of an adventurist and have rented vehicles on several islands. Driving around Tortola is fairly easy, but finding things can be difficult since roads aren't marked too clearly. I would highly recommend a 4 wheel drive, we had a bit of rain on our last visit and even in 4 wheel drive we were spinning the wheels trying to negotiate the roads over the mountains. Gas was very expensive but you won't burn up too much on this small of an island. Personally I always enjoy the freedom a rental vehicle provides when exploring an island paradise, especially when there are a number of cruise ships in port. Being able to get off the beaten path and explore provides a real sense of what the island is like.

We rented from Hertz in Road Town last Feb, cost was about $85 total. There location was very easy to get to just outside the port gate to the right. I am a bit of an adventurist and have rented vehicles on several islands. Driving around Tortola is fairly easy, but finding things can be difficult since roads aren't marked too clearly. I would highly recommend a 4 wheel drive, we had a bit of rain on our last visit and even in 4 wheel drive we were spinning the wheels trying to negotiate the roads over the mountains. Gas was very expensive but you won't burn up too much on this small of an island. Personally I always enjoy the freedom a rental vehicle provides when exploring an island paradise, especially when there are a number of cruise ships in port. Being able to get off the beaten path and explore provides a real sense of what the island is like.

Thanks so much for the very informative reply. :D

We rented a car on Tortola and had a blast! We rented from Aaron Jeep & Car rental. We got a suzuki for $62.50. The people at the rental company were very nice and gave us several maps. The roads were so much fun and the scenery was breathtaking. We drove all over that island and eventually ended up at Brewers Bay. Brewers was very nice, only a handful of people. Just watch out for the goats and chickens, they are all over the roads :) . Here's their info if you need it:

Aaron Jeep & Car Rental

(284) 494-8917 or fax (284) 494-8918

LOL Re: goats and chickens.

Is Brewers bay a beach?

Just starting to investigate Tortola and thought renting a car (jeep/truck) would be perfect for us! We;re an adventurous family who likes exploring!

Which side of the road do they drive on in BWI??

Did anyone stop at a beach and were they tough to find?

Is Brewers bay a beach?

Just starting to investigate Tortola and thought renting a car (jeep/truck) would be perfect for us! We;re an adventurous family who likes exploring!

You sure do like the Explorer, eh?? My sis in laws for RCCL and is currently on the Explorer. We have the opportunity to go on as guests of hers in Jan. :-)

Do you have a link to pics? Would love to see them. :)

BTW, they drive on the left side. Every corner you come too, blow the horn. Apparently this is the thing to do in the Caribbean.... My goodness, the driving scared the living daylights out of me.:eek:

My in laws thought it was hilarious since they are from the Caribbean...I was the luaghing stock of the family for awhile.....:o

You may want to rethink this car rental after you read about our "great" experience. We were at Tortola via Westerdam a few yrs ago (see my sig below) and rented from Hertz -- what a disaster! Emailed ahead or called them for an automatic with air -- what we got was no air and 4 on floor which did not shift easily, which made for terrible experience on the extreme hills & having to drive on opposite side of road. Then the awful hills & hairpin curves through the middle of island (quickest way to beaches) -- Mike is trying to drive & I'm trying to read map (almost carsick!) and nearly run off road 4 times by cattle, concrete truck, gas truck and a car -- none of which were driving on their side of road! Of course we got lost due to no road signs & had to turn around -- then by time we got to the resort our friend had recommended, Mike's stomach was so upset he couldn't even enjoy the beach (this was unusual for him!) -- so we drive back via west end & south side highway (flat but curvy -- should have gone that way first if we'd known!) -- got back to Hertz & found it locked up tight! -- what to do with car? called & they said "just leave keys under floor mat but don't lock the car!" -- oh yeah? -- and next month our credit card would have charge for a whole car -- so we waited & waited in hot sun to turn car in -- some locals offered to do it for us but we were not comfortable with that either..... study a road map via internet now!

We're going back in Dec to Tortola on cruise -- lovely island BUT we will NOT EVER rent a car there again -- we have rented cars many many times on Grand Cayman, St. Thomas and St. Maarten, so we're not wimps about driving on islands -- but NEVER EVER RENT on Tortola or St. Lucia -- unless you want to be in a car wreck!!!!

Is Brewers bay a beach?

Brewers Bay is a beach and it was so nice and quite when we got there.

They do drive on the left which proved absolulty hilarious entertainment for us. DH drove (no way in hell was I gonna drive) I video taped and we laughed our butts off. Yes, you gotta pay attention to the other drivers they do vear into your lane. It took us a while to find the road we were looking for, but we had plenty of time and ended up finding it. The roads are crazy fun, at least we enjoy that kind of thing. We Loved our day in Tortola, it was the highlight of our trip since we were on our own and did evrything at our own pace. We also saw a pod of dolphins that we were able to follow along the road. If you would like me to e-mail you some pictures of Tortola let me know at: canyonspirit@mesanetworks.net

I even have the chickens and goat pictures :D

• 4 weeks later...

My honey and I rented a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 with 6-cyl and automatic from International last fall. For two days I think it was less than $180, but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, we had a blast driving around the island the first day, and the second night when the other half of our party arrived, it was hilarious taking them out to dinner! They were (almost) scared out of their appetites.

IMO, air is overrated in the islands - you'll just be back in the atmosphere when you get to the beach anyway.. and for beaches, we drove, in a bit over half a day, from Road Town to West End and around (and to) several of the north shore beaches, including Smuggler's Cove and a visit to the Callwood distillery at Cane Garden Bay. We'll be back for a quick trip in a bit over a month - and we will definitely be renting a Jeep on Tortola (and scooters on Anegada - but that's a different thread). Y'all have fun

Archived