Angor Wat

Miss Jolly

We will be in Thailand for nearly a week before our cruise leaves from Laem Chabang. Our family of 4 ( 2 teens) will be spending some time in the Chiang Mai/Golden Triangle region with a private guide. We then planned on spending a couple of days"chilling out" in Bangkok (where we have previously been) or Pattaya immediately before the cruise. We are now keen to go to Angor Wat instead. I have found the cheapest flights on Bangkok Air website but need advice for Angor Wat itself. We will have 1 night and basically 2 days to spend there. I know many people suggest 3-4 days but we simply do not have that amount of time. Should we get a private tour guide and who would you suggest? Can you also suggest a clean, well located not too expensive hotel for us as this will already push the budget just to get there.? Thank you.

We will be in Thailand for nearly a week before our cruise leaves from Laem Chabang. Our family of 4 ( 2 teens) will be spending some time in the Chiang Mai/Golden Triangle region with a private guide. We then planned on spending a couple of days"chilling out" in Bangkok (where we have previously been) or Pattaya immediately before the cruise. We are now keen to go to Angor Wat instead. I have found the cheapest flights on Bangkok Air website but need advice for Angor Wat itself. We will have 1 night and basically 2 days to spend there. I know many people suggest 3-4 days but we simply do not have that amount of time. Should we get a private tour guide and who would you suggest? Can you also suggest a clean, well located not too expensive hotel for us as this will already push the budget just to get there.? Thank you.

Couple of things:

IF you want to save quite a bit of money (especially with 4) you can arrange land transport from BKK to Siem Reap. It will definitely be an adventure (the roads sometimes flood out, the border touts can be a hassle, but your kids will love it-the overland crossing is filled with backpacking teen agers and college kids). If you want the directions for the EASIEST overland crossing, please advise.

You don't need 3-4 days. Your kids will be bored to tears after about a day. They probably would much rather go to the elephant farm than spend all their time looking at ancient temples and carvings.

The first time I was there, I bought a three day pass. I spent less than a day looking at the ruins. Had much more fun at the elephant farm, going to a Cambodian wedding and taking a balloon ride over the ruins. Even at age 55, there are only so many temples you can see before they all start to look alike.

ALL hotels have guides they can refer you to. But a good guidebook, especially with your kids, will more than suffice. Have the kids read the book, point out certain things and let them lead you around. I think that will be the only way to get the kids involved and entertained.

What is your idea of a "reasonable" hotel??? Siem Reap has hostels from $10.00pp per night to $1000.00 per night hotels. My favorite is the FCC. VERY nice facility, close enough to walk to "downtown" and a full service facility with an excellent tour desk. They also have some packages that include spa, food, drinks and tours.

http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

I book a lot of hotels through AsiaRooms.com. They generally have great prices and sometimes can included breakfast, transport, etc. Here is a link to their offered hotels in Siem Reap: http://www.asiarooms.com/cambodia/siem_reap.html

Look through the list, read the reviews and if you have further questions about a particular hotel, please ask.

Just another suggestion:

AirAsia is now flying from BKK to Phnom Penh (about $50.00 each way-MUCH cheaper than Bangkok Air). And you can take the fast boat to Siem Reap (about 3 hours-a great ride up the river and across Tonle Sap Lake). There is also a bus from PP to Siem Reap, but it takes longer than the ferry

IF you can squeeze the extra time, this is really a fantastic trip.

Would we have time for either of these options? We only have 2 days and then I am worried as our ship leaves from Laem Chabang the next day. I usually like to be staying in an area near the ship for a day or 2 before we leave.

Hi,

Our family went to Angkor Wat before we flew to Singapore to catch our cruise and it was the absolute highlight of our whole trip.

We had a private driver and it was worth every cent. We used Soryar and he was fabulous!!!! His email is kimsoryar@yahoo.com. We had a private air-conditioned van and it costs $25 per day for the four of us. Soryar also has a new guest house that is sparkling clean and it costs $20 per night. You can read about him on tripadvisor. We stayed at two other hotels while we were there and they cost around $40 per night and they were not as nice.

Good luck!

Is that $20 per night per person? How long did you spend there? We would only have a novernight stay.

Hotels/guesthouses/hostels in Angkor range from $7pp per night (shared bathroom/dormitory) to $1000+ per night suites at the VERY westernized resorts. And I have seen them charge PER ROOM and PER Person for the same guesthouse/hostel. Hotels charge per room.

Cambodia is a land of negotiation. When my hotel opens in December in Phnom Penh, I plan on FIXED rates per room. But of course that may change-do I want empty rooms or should I charge per person and put two strangers in a room??? It's all relevant and it IS Cambodia.

Thanks for all the advice you have been giving on SA and about Asia. What is the best way to find to find out more about your hotel? Have you selected a name already? /Sultan

When my hotel opens in December in Phnom Penh, I plan on FIXED rates per room. But of course that may change-do I want empty rooms or should I charge per person and put two strangers in a room??? It's all relevant and it IS Cambodia.

Thanks for all the advice you have been giving on SA and about Asia. What is the best way to find to find out more about your hotel? Have you selected a name already? /Sultan

Thanks for the comment.

Haven't picked a name-got to get the thing finished (renovated) first. It has been a VERY long drawn out process (almost 3 years). And probably the name will have to be "approved" by some official. Just another "fee". I am going over in October-after I get back from my first SA trip for the year. Hopefully things will be on schedule and we can open in December as planned. But I am not crossing that bridge until I see for myself how many more "approvals" we have to have. It is really difficult dealing with a quasi-Communist country that wants to be like Vietnam in a lot of ways, but just hasn't quite figured out the ins and out. Thank goodness, I have a couple of American friends over there who have kept my spirits up through this ordeal. Thanks for your interest.

Hi,

Our family went to Angkor Wat before we flew to Singapore to catch our cruise and it was the absolute highlight of our whole trip.

We had a private driver and it was worth every cent. We used Soryar and he was fabulous!!!! His email is kimsoryar@yahoo.com. We had a private air-conditioned van and it costs $25 per day for the four of us. Soryar also has a new guest house that is sparkling clean and it costs $20 per night. You can read about him on tripadvisor. We stayed at two other hotels while we were there and they cost around $40 per night and they were not as nice.

Did you arrange your own airfare to get to Phnom Penh, and then to Singapore, or could you arrange a stop over to PP before Singapore?

We are also beginning a cruise in Singapore, and I was trying to figure out how to get to Angkor Wat without taking the extremely expensive and rushed tour given by the ship. We have airfare from the ship, so we might have to fly into Singapore first and then PP and then fly back to Singapore.

How many days did you stay in Cambodia before Singapore? What else did you do in the area? How much time to see Angkor Wat? Thanks for any advise you have.

Judith

Cambodia is a land of negotiation. When my hotel opens in December in Phnom Penh, I plan on FIXED rates per room. But of course that may change-do I want empty rooms or should I charge per person and put two strangers in a room??? It's all relevant and it IS Cambodia.

After you convert the Khmers to a price fixe business model, would you please take care of following:

1) Airline service

2) World peace

3) ...... I'll send the complete list later

Seriously, good luck on the project and keep us informed, please.

jruth4,

We flew into Bangkok and took a taxi to Poipet (Thailand/Cambodia border) where our driver soryar arranged for someone to meet us and drive us to Siem Reap. We then flew to Singapore from Siem Reap. We went over Christmas and New Years and this was the most affordable route for our family of 4. The ride from Bangkok to the Cambodian border took about 3 hours and another 3 hours from Poipet (?) to Siem Reap, but we loved every minute of it. Here are our appox, costs

Lax to Bangkok returning from Hong Kong on Korean Air Approx $1,000 pp

Private van from Bangkok airport to Cambodian border $100 for 4 people.

(this was arranged for us by a nice airport employee at the airport)

2 Taxis from Poipet to Siem Reap $30 each total $60 - We had too much luggage and had to take 2 taxis.

Flight from Siem Reap to Singapore approx $75 per person one-way

Please be careful here because the luggage weight is very restricted because it is not considered a international flight. We were way over, but the agent in Cambodia was very nice and didn't charge us. I can't rememebr the name of the airline (star something), but I can look it up. I had to book it myself because my travel agent wasn't able to do so. I think it was an Austrailian airline.

We stayed 7 days pre cuise and absolutely loved it and we can't wait to go back. We pretty much packed everything in that we could see and also went to all the outer lying temples.

Yes, our room at Soryars place was $20 per night per room (actually we got a 10% discount because he was our guide and we paid $18;) per night)

Hope this helps

Carole

jruth4,

We flew into Bangkok and took a taxi to Poipet (Thailand/Cambodia border) where our driver soryar arranged for someone to meet us and drive us to Siem Reap. We then flew to Singapore from Siem Reap. We went over Christmas and New Years and this was the most affordable route for our family of 4. The ride from Bangkok to the Cambodian border took about 3 hours and another 3 hours from Poipet (?) to Siem Reap, but we loved every minute of it. Here are our appox, costs

2 Taxis from Poipet to Siem Reap $30 each total $60 - We had too much luggage and had to take 2 taxis.

Please be careful here because the luggage weight is very restricted because it is not considered a international flight. We were way over, but the agent in Cambodia was very nice and didn't charge us. I can't rememebr the name of the airline (star something), but I can look it up. I had to book it myself because my travel agent wasn't able to do so. I think it was an Austrailian airline.

We stayed 7 days pre cuise and absolutely loved it and we can't wait to go back. We pretty much packed everything in that we could see and also went to all the outer lying temples.

Yes, our room at Soryars place was $20 per night per room (actually we got a 10% discount because he was our guide and we paid $18;) per night)

Hope this helps

Carole

Hello Carole,

How long ago did you do this?

Hi Carole,

Could you please email any detailed info re your trip from Bankok to Angor Wat. jennie1@exemail.com.au Our cruise leaves from Bangkok. We have booked some time in Chiang Mai area first. We were then going to spend a few days precruise either in Bangkok or Pattaya as it would cost far too much for us to return flight to Siem Reap. After reading your info here we think we may do the car transport to Bangkok on the Monday morning, spend Monday afternoon/evening at Angor Wat and return to it Tuesday morning. Then fly back to Bangkok Tuesday night and stay there overnight. Wednesday try to see floating markets in the morning and then get down to our ship in the early afternoon. We are used to fitting in as much as possible.

Hello;

We are still thinking of doing Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia from Singapore after the cruise. Vietnam Air is so much cheaper than other air lines, $425 vs. $1000. We are worry about their safety and reliability. Does anyone know anything about Vietnam Air? If anyone knows any other airlines that is realatively inexpensive and reliable flying from Singapore to Siem Reap, please let us know. Thanks.

Jim & Mary

jruth4,

Hope this helps

Carole

Carole, could you please tell us what airline you used and when from Siem Reap to Singapore at such a low price? We are thinking doing the Angkor Wat tour after the cruise (ends at Singapore). The cheapest airfare that we can find is with Vietnam Air for $425/person round trip. We would like to go there on Dec 16 and return on Dec 18. Our flight back to the US is on Dec 19. Any info that you can give us will be highly appreciated. If you like, send us an email, mclow789@yahoo.com. Thanks a million.

Jim & Mary

From Siem Reap to Sinapore we flew on Jet Star.

www.jetstar.com

They had the best prices hands down, But they only fly on certain days etc...

Very clean and safe airline. Just remeber that you will be very restricted on the luggage weight because this is not considered an international flight. So if you are flying back to Singapore I would recommend storing your luggage.

Have fun,

Carole

Hello;

We are still thinking of doing Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia from Singapore after the cruise. Vietnam Air is so much cheaper than other air lines, $425 vs. $1000. We are worry about their safety and reliability. Does anyone know anything about Vietnam Air? If anyone knows any other airlines that is realatively inexpensive and reliable flying from Singapore to Siem Reap, please let us know. Thanks.

Jim & Mary

We are flying JetStar airlines from Singapore to Siem Reap in October. The cost is $67.50 pp USD or 166.00 SGD. Flight leaves Singapore at 6:00 AM and lands in Siem Reap at 7:05 AM. I am staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the airport due to the early flight.

Any questions email me cptman@twcny.rr.com

Could you please supply the EASIEST overland crossing. I've heard horror stories about the busses and getting across the border.

Cruiser Plus

Couple of things:

IF you want to save quite a bit of money (especially with 4) you can arrange land transport from BKK to Siem Reap. It will definitely be an adventure (the roads sometimes flood out, the border touts can be a hassle, but your kids will love it-the overland crossing is filled with backpacking teen agers and college kids). If you want the directions for the EASIEST overland crossing, please advise.

You don't need 3-4 days. Your kids will be bored to tears after about a day. They probably would much rather go to the elephant farm than spend all their time looking at ancient temples and carvings.

The first time I was there, I bought a three day pass. I spent less than a day looking at the ruins. Had much more fun at the elephant farm, going to a Cambodian wedding and taking a balloon ride over the ruins. Even at age 55, there are only so many temples you can see before they all start to look alike.

ALL hotels have guides they can refer you to. But a good guidebook, especially with your kids, will more than suffice. Have the kids read the book, point out certain things and let them lead you around. I think that will be the only way to get the kids involved and entertained.

What is your idea of a "reasonable" hotel??? Siem Reap has hostels from $10.00pp per night to $1000.00 per night hotels. My favorite is the FCC. VERY nice facility, close enough to walk to "downtown" and a full service facility with an excellent tour desk. They also have some packages that include spa, food, drinks and tours.

http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

I book a lot of hotels through AsiaRooms.com. They generally have great prices and sometimes can included breakfast, transport, etc. Here is a link to their offered hotels in Siem Reap: http://www.asiarooms.com/cambodia/siem_reap.html

Look through the list, read the reviews and if you have further questions about a particular hotel, please ask.

Could you please supply the EASIEST overland crossing. I've heard horror stories about the busses and getting across the border.

Cruiser Plus

There is NO easy overland crossing from Bangkok. And I do not recommend the overland crossing for average cruisers, ESPECIALLY if you have more than a backpack. Miss Jolly has teen agers and it would be fun for them (maybe not so much for Mom and Dad). From Vietnam, it is easy up the Mekong/Tonle Sap rivers. You cross the border on the river (or the road if you want transport by land). There is a border station both on the road and on the river. You buy your visa, end up in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. EASY bus ride, boat ride or flight from PP to Siem Rep.

From Bangkok:You have to board a bus in Bangkok (or you can take a METERED taxi to the border-more expensive, but safer). Then get off the bus about 6 km from the border and negotiate a tuk-tuk/moto to the border crossing. You have to cross both the Thai border AND get across the Cambodian border. Aranyaprathet is a NASTY little border town, full of thieves, beggars and kid pick pockets. One BIG reason I do not recommend the overland crossing for a solo or couple-the town is overwhelming unless you have spent time in SE Asia and have seen the pushing/shoving that generally goes on at train stations, bus stations and border crossings.

After you get through the long Thai lines, get your Cambodian visa, then either negotiate for a shared taxi or find another way to Siem Reap. When I did the overland crossing, I did it with a group of 20 something backpackers I met at the Bangkok train station (boy, did I feel like MOM on that trip). As we had strength in numbers, we were not prayed upon nearly as much as solo travelers. The "kids" wanted to hire a pick up truck (it was the cheapest). I wanted the shared taxi. The pick up truck won. So riding in the back of a pick up truck, through muck and unpaved road was quite an experience. And when we arrived Siem Reap, we were greeted with more touts than I have seen in most of Asia. I had a driver pick me up and took a couple of the kids with me. But I left our group haggling with the touts over hostals and tours. I had been to Siem Reap before (by boat from Vietnam-there are plenty of touts there, but there were even more on the highway)

Would I do it again???? IF I was in a group and wanted the adventure (hence my recommendation to Miss Jolly with her teenagers). It is an all day trip, filled with adventure and things you would never see as a "normal" tourist.

But for the average, middle age tourist-take the boat from Vietnam or fly.

Here are VERY detailed instructions how to cross the border from a guy that lives in Cambodia and crosses the border frequently:

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr-self.htm

Archived