First time cruising - NCL Jewel cabin on deck 4, 5, or 8?

minnymi

We like the inside cabin since this is our first time cruising. We could stay on either 4553 or 4555. Should we upgrade to similar inside cabin on deck 5 or 8? Would I get motion sickness if I stay on higher deck? Would the inside cabin on deck 5 or 8 better/bigger? If the cabin size is the same and I get less motion sickness staying on deck 4, then I would rather save money and stay on deck 4. Also on deck 5 I see the Stardust Theatre is there. Would it be noisy if we stay on deck 5? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We spent 24 days with an inside cabin on the Jade in Mar/Apr 08. The cabin was midship deck nine. We did not care for deck 4 due to the configuraton of the Jade and wanted be wwell above water line. The Jade was smooth sailing (including one day of stormy seas) so motion sickness was not a problem. Most of the ship's activity seemed centered on the outdoor decks or deck 7. With deck nine we could easily walk either direction. The inside cabins appeared to be about the same between decks. But the number of people in the hall varies by how many outside/suite cabins are on the other side of the hall. Bottom line - get a cabin away from the noise, take an alarm clock to tell time (no window), enjoy your cruise at 1/2 to 2/3's of what the balcony occupants are paying. On our cruise our friends enjoyed their balcony only when they got ill from eating local food off the ship and stayed on the ship on a port day - but the smoker in the next balcony precluded them from being on the balcony on sea days when he was on board. Enjoy your cruise.

I dont know of any ship that has any cabins below the water line. (even in a storm.)

the higher you go the more you pay.

the more you pay the more you will sway.

If you dont get sick on amusment rides or a car you should be fine on a ship= stay low and midship just to see...

• 2 weeks later...

We had a balcony on deck 8 on Jewel. It was wonderful! Mid ship. Very nice to open the balcony door and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean.

We had a lower deck OV forward. I was concerned about too much motion, but it was wonderful as well. Very convenient to the dining room, bar, concierge and elevators.

We had a balcony on deck 8 on Jewel. It was wonderful! Mid ship. Very nice to open the balcony door and be lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean.

We had a lower deck OV forward on Dawn Princess. I was concerned about too much motion, but it was wonderful as well. Very convenient to the dining room, bar, concierge and elevators.

• 2 weeks later...
We like the inside cabin since this is our first time cruising. We could stay on either 4553 or 4555. Should we upgrade to similar inside cabin on deck 5 or 8? Would I get motion sickness if I stay on higher deck? Would the inside cabin on deck 5 or 8 better/bigger? If the cabin size is the same and I get less motion sickness staying on deck 4, then I would rather save money and stay on deck 4. Also on deck 5 I see the Stardust Theatre is there. Would it be noisy if we stay on deck 5? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You sound just like me! This is my first time cruising (and posting here!) and I found myself wanting a lower, smaller, middle-of-ship cabin to hopefully prevent motion sickness, yet it seems all the other posters want the higher decks. I have always avoided cruising because of my fear of motion sickness/noro virus. But, we're doing a five day in October on the Jewel, so hopefully all will be well on our deck 3 cabin (with window).

ETA: Actually, we're on RCCL Jewel of the Seas, not NCL Jewel. sorry!

Archived