Transatlantic question

aicruiser

Thinking of a 16 day TA and wondering about the dining experience. Is it likely they will run out of fresh menu items toward the end (there are a few stops at islands at the beginning) when there are 7+ sea days? I know on other 14 days (other cruise line not TA) we've been on they pick up things at almost every port. Anyone have any past experience with food not being great on a long TA?

aicruiser

On our last long cruise of 35 days in 2004, we very rarely had menu repeats. I think HAL is very good at this, but it does depend if a 14 day cruise is 2 7's back to back or one single cruise. I wouldn't expect repeats on a transatlantic. TAs are our favorite trips as the sea days are wonderful. Depending on the ship, there are a number of alternate dining options but dinner at the Lido closely resembles the main dining room.

Food is so subjective that I can't promise you that you'll love HAL's menus, but we never have gone hungry.

GN

We've done two transatlantics. No, they will not run out of fresh menu items. Some items do run out on some cruises. Probably the "out of" items were selected by more passengers than usual. Most of the time we probably don't notice as there is so much other food. We've been on a couple of cruises where they ran out of chocolate milk.

Not a trans-Atlantic, but way back in Apr 97, Sky Princess, on a 19 night trans-Pacific from Osaka Japan to Vancouver British Columbia, several containers of food did not make it to Osaka before we sailed.

We ran out of some fresh veggies and some dairy products. When we pulled into Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians, members of the Purser's Office and some of the chefs "raided" the local grocery store, and literally cleared the shelves of needed items.

All part of the adventure of travel!

Most of the time we probably don't notice as there is so much other food. We've been on a couple of cruises where they ran out of chocolate milk.

If I am onboard, the ship will run out of chocolate milk. I am waaaay to old to be drinking the stuff and yet I do. I am too embarassed to tell just how much of the stuff, I can put away.

Not a trans-Atlantic, but way back in Apr 97, Sky Princess, on a 19 night trans-Pacific from Osaka Japan to Vancouver British Columbia, several containers of food did not make it to Osaka before we sailed.

We ran out of some fresh veggies and some dairy products. When we pulled into Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians, members of the Purser's Office and some of the chefs "raided" the local grocery store, and literally cleared the shelves of needed items.

All part of the adventure of travel!

I like your approach. :)

Archived