avoiding the photog line

m steve

On our last cruise in March, when we disembarked at Aruba and the other islands the picture stand was set away from the gangway either to the left or right a couple of feet. That way if someone wanted a photo they had moved out of the way of those who didn't. The traffic was a steady flow coming off. Maybe they should do that at all the stops. :rolleyes:

We never have any problem with these lines. When we want a picture, we wait. When we don't, we just step out of the way and keep going.
That's exactly what I do. Some people call that line jumping, but I certainly don't. Why should I have to wait in a backed up line just because some people are getting photos? If I don't want one, then I shouldn't have to wait, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

They're taking photos and one has to wait a few moments. Some people have flown thousands of miles,taken shuttles,taxis,etc. What's 1 more minute waiting while a few photos are taken? I keep hear 'Holding Us Up"

from what? food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food,food

One has the whole cruise to eat, waiting a minute for photos isn't going to be the end of the earth. The Lido isn't going anywhere,I promise.

:confused: We're speaking about disembarking the ship. What does food in Lido have to do with photographers at the bottom of the gangway blocking the passage of guests wishing to leave the ship? I don't understand your post.

Sorry, guys....I love the photos. We were the first onboard last time and the photographer hadn't set up yet. I made poor DH go back down the gangway with me so we didn't miss out on that important embarkation photo. And no, we're not newbies! As PipedreamS62 said so well, we waited and saved and planned for this moment for OVER A YEAR and we want to make the most of it. I bet that 20 years from now, after (I hope) many other cruises, I'll still have that sense of joy and excitement.
Nothing wrong with that at all. But that's why they should have separate lines ... one for those who want photos and one for those who don't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

:confused: We're speaking about disembarking the ship. What does food in Lido have to do with photographers at the bottom of the gangway blocking the passage of guests wishing to leave the ship? I don't understand your post.

Please read the first line in the first post. That's where you'll see "embarkation"

We're talking about two different things here.

Some folks (me) are trying to get down the gangway in port.

Others (you) seem to be trying to board the ship on initial embarkation.

:)

Nothing wrong with that at all. But that's why they should have separate lines ... one for those who want photos and one for those who don't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Is there room for separate lines on 1 gangway? People getting on the wrong line,deciding at the last moment they really do want a photo. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth? Maybe they should get the tenders down (even if were docked) and shuttle all the non photo people in. They can put wigs and dark glasses on everyone and very discreetly get them on the tenders and wisk them away to shore. It's the least they can do for all these celebs right?

brad-pitt-and-angelina-jolie.jpg

We have so many pix that the only time we have them taken is disembarking in a port we've never been before.

We do not eat when we first board the ship, we are anxious to get onboard and meet old friends but food - no way. We will have the next 30 days or so to check out the food.

We stand in line like everyone else to board the ship and then when we are at the point where we would be next we just say no thanks and walk through. Same at the tables, just say no, it works. They only block up one side of the Upper Prom deck so we just walk around the other side and bypass them. Not a problem for us anywhere other than disembarkation in ports. It can be difficult to get off the ship. We usually bypass this by getting off the ship before the photogs are up and about.

of 5 300 lbers who block the gangway to get a bnefore picture so they can get one at the end of the cruise to see kif they ate their money's worth.

How ever do you enjoy cruising, knowing that many people are overweight or eat more than you think they should?

They're taking photos and one has to wait a few moments. Some people have flown thousands of miles,taken shuttles,taxis,etc. What's 1 more minute waiting while a few photos are taken?
Who wants a picture taken after flying thousands of miles, taken shuttles, taxis, etc? It would look worse than a passport photo.

I shouted loudly from the back of stalled line, "Those wanting their picture taken, stand to the right. All others, pass on the left!" It got the line moving.

I think our original poster is being a little harsh, though I get his point. The first time we ever took a cruise we didn't know that it was possible to get on the ship without a picture taken --- we just did what we were told. Same with our first disembarkation at a port. We soon learned how to simply say "no, thank you" and step around. I agree there should be some room to do that for shore days. Certainly we didn't have pictures taken just so we could admire ourselves. As someone else pointed out, after an overnight flight I hardly look my best! On the other hand, we always get photos on a formal night, or maybe both nights, so we can choose which is best. We have precious few photos of both of us, as one of us is usually taking family pics. By the same token, we took a cruise with our extended family and LOVE that picture, as it was the last time we were ever all able to be together. While mildly annoying, I don't find the photos that big a deal.

If you think the photographers are annoying now, they were at least twice as annoying in the 1990s, when HAL kept you in the terminal and started calling embarkation numbers about 1 p.m. or later, and you could not enter the boarding line without having to pose with a woman dressed in traditional Dutch clothing complete with hat and clogs.

Also, once I was in the dining room -- on formal night -- and the photographer had an accomplice dressed as a cheesy pirate with a stuffed parrot on his shoulder (reminded me of a Monty Python skit). The problem was when the photographer appeared out of the corner of my eye about the same time as the rubber sword was placed to my throat. I wonder what the pirate thought of the taste of the rubber sword after I jumped in startlement and somehow jammed the sword in his mouth (no, I wasn't sorry).

If you want the photos, fine. If not, you should not have to wait for others to have theirs taken. In my experience, HAL has reined in the photographers over the years, and they generally will set themselves up to the side of a line for embarkation or debarkation. Those who want the photos will stop, those who don't are not held up. Sounds like a great compromise to me.

If that arrangement is not happening on your cruise, you need to tell the cruise staff, and ask them to call off the photographers. If they don't, I recommend you fill out a comment card, and also make sure you include a comment on the end of cruise survey.

Dave

Is there a chance that some people are just too cheap to buy a photograph? Deep down inside they really resent the fact that someone atually wants a picture, enjoys them and will treasure them. There's really not a newfangled word for this type. I think they call it 'Killjoy" I know I'm reaching.

dr_phil.jpg

Is there a chance that some people are just too cheap to buy a photograph? Deep down inside they really resent the fact that someone atually wants a picture, enjoys them and will treasure them. There's really not a newfangled word for this type. I think they call it 'Killjoy" I know I'm reaching.

Not here at least. From what I've read on this thread, it's not about affording someone the opportunity for a photo if that is what they want, it's about inconveniencing those that know they don't want a photo. I've purchased photos before and there is the possibility I might again. On the last cruise, I went and had photos taken during formal nights in areas that were not set up inhibiting the flow. For me, it's not about the opportunity to have photos taken but the way in which photo ops are handled by the ship's photographers. Both perspectives can co-exist without imposing on the other.

Hey, by the way........................HAL changed services (companies) last year of those that do the actual picture taking. It's been my experience since that took place (as recent as the Eurodam cruise two weeks ago) that they are no longer always positioned at the end of that gangway posing as a:

a. Dolphin

b. Pirate

c. Russian soldier

d. Mexican bandito

e. Canadian Mountie

f. fill in your own

So that should alleviate some of the issues being discussed here. Never have seen them positioned with some sort of "baricade" that would force pax to back up into the bowels of the ship (have seen slow lines down the gangway though). They were usually set up caddy corner to one side of the end of the plank with some kind of sign/blanket, you name it that would indicate at what place of the world the ship was that day.

The new company does still take the "formal shots" on formal nights but no longer with the familiar backdrops (cruise ship/Titanic stairwell:eek: /Promenade deck bannister, etc.) The new thing seems to be the posed shots in the new "white room"/photo studio. Yes, they still come by the dining room for the single/couple and table shots. If you tell them you're not interested, they'll move on.

It's no big thang!

dr_phil.jpg

Too cheap....maybe. it's not my reasoning. I don't like having my picture taken and will discourage anyone who tries to take it. Some people don't understand this but there are a few people around that are very camera shy.

We haven't purchased any photos in quite a few years. Have never had a problem sidestepping the photo-op setup and walking right on passed it. Never felt that it was manditory or that we were delayed in boarding because of the photo setups. Just say Thank You and keep on going. Penny

Is there a chance that some people are just too cheap to buy a photograph? Deep down inside they really resent the fact that someone atually wants a picture, enjoys them and will treasure them.
Some of us are affected by the strobe light on the camera.

Years ago I thought it was fun to bring home pictures from a cruise...they were also about $3 back then. Since I've now spend several hundred days on cruiseships there's just no point in it for us. When there's a block I just walk right through it.

Archived