HELP w/transferring RCCL reservation to a TA

My question is this:

I have a reservation with RCCL for this October on Mariner and payment is due next week. I have a friend who is a TA and I want to switch it to her before I make the final payment (she will be upset if I don't). Who do I need to call first RCCL or her to have this done and can I request that she charge my final payment on my RCCL Visa card to get the points rather than she do it on her card? What is the easiest way to go about this and not make anyone mad and still have my good reservation as well?

Thanks so much!

There is a form to complete and fax in. (I'll see if I can find it.)

As for payment, your TA (friend or not) should use your credit card for final payment not hers. I know there are TA's that do it that way but you should insist your CC be used. At least you will know for sure your payment has gone directly to the cruiseline. You will also get your points and have backup if something goes wrong.

Insist that your cc be used. If she won;t I would think twice about transferring to her.

I always call my clients cc #'s for payment.

Like I said before, she would get mad, so guess what, she did! I told her that I was going to transfer the reservations to her from RCCL so that she could get the commission and she refused and was hateful with me and very rude and her tone of voice was that pleasant either. She wanted to do the leg work and told me since I did it, I could keep it. I guess by trying to do the right thing and being nice, I was hollered at. So, I will never book with her again and do everything myself just like I did on this one.

Thanks girls for all your help in trying to make this a nice commission check for her, but things happen!

Like I said before, she would get mad, so guess what, she did! I told her that I was going to transfer the reservations to her from RCCL so that she could get the commission and she refused and was hateful with me and very rude and her tone of voice was that pleasant either. She wanted to do the leg work and told me since I did it, I could keep it. I guess by trying to do the right thing and being nice, I was hollered at. So, I will never book with her again and do everything myself just like I did on this one.

Thanks girls for all your help in trying to make this a nice commission check for her, but things happen!

What? Why...she had to do no work and still get paid...sounds great to me! Maybe she was doind something funny. If she had that response, I would assume something fishy was going on....probably wanted the points on her own card...

As a TA, I kind of feel the same....we are agents to help people plan their trips...not just to collect a commission...I have turned down clients that book with the cruiseline and then want to turn the booking over. Call me crazy..that's just how I personally feel....Now I will say, I would never be rude to someone about it though...

As a TA, I kind of feel the same....we are agents to help people plan their trips...not just to collect a commission...I have turned down clients that book with the cruiseline and then want to turn the booking over. Call me crazy..that's just how I personally feel....Now I will say, I would never be rude to someone about it though...

The OP had already booked the cruise and was just trying to transfer it to her "friend." I used to be able just to make the booking and my TA would take care of the transfer but recently RCI has required me to fill out and fax in a signed form.

I'm not sure I understand your attitude toward transferred bookings. If somebody called and said, "I want to go on the Jewel of the Seas on xx/xx/09 in cabin #1100 would you turn that booking down? The person has already done all the research and made up his or her mind, after all... It's nice that you want to help, but given how much work TAs often do with no booking resulting from it, I should think the occasional gimme would be a welcome event (speaking as a recovering TA). :)

The OP had already booked the cruise and was just trying to transfer it to her "friend." I used to be able just to make the booking and my TA would take care of the transfer but recently RCI has required me to fill out and fax in a signed form.

I'm not sure I understand your attitude toward transferred bookings. If somebody called and said, "I want to go on the Jewel of the Seas on xx/xx/09 in cabin #1100 would you turn that booking down? The person has already done all the research and made up his or her mind, after all... It's nice that you want to help, but given how much work TAs often do with no booking resulting from it, I should think the occasional gimme would be a welcome event (speaking as a recovering TA). :)

As I said, it's the way I feel....yes, I have and would turn it down. My real point was that it is surprising that her friend was rude to her...don't get that.

I like being in control of my reservation but I do give it to my friend/ta before final payment. If I see a different cabin I want or a price drop and she's not around, I can do it myself. I would hope t/a's would be happy with the commission.

I would never let my t/a use her credit card.

You tried - her loss, however her attitude puzzles me. It sounds like she didn't want to apply the payment directly to your cc.

Better you should handle it yourself or transfer to someone who is helpful.

As a TA I have no problem accepting a last minute transfer with a "thank you." Before getting into the business I used to do everything myself then transfer to a TA I knew.

As I've never really used a travel agent to book my cruises, I'm a bit puzzled. I am very unknowledgeable about the TA business. How much commission would a TA get on a $1000 cruise? And how is it that TAs can offer free onboard credit if you book through them? Is there some sort of arrangement with RCI where there is just free credit to be had?

So if I book the cruise myself directly on the RCI website, RCI doesn't pay any commission to anyone and keeps the extra money. And they potentially don't have to give any onboard credit to me either through the TA. So why should I book directly on the website? I get that I would be in control of my reservation, but I'd gladly give up control if it meant a couple extra hundred dollars coming my way.

Maybe some of the TAs out there can help...

As I've never really used a travel agent to book my cruises, I'm a bit puzzled. I am very unknowledgeable about the TA business. How much commission would a TA get on a $1000 cruise? And how is it that TAs can offer free onboard credit if you book through them? Is there some sort of arrangement with RCI where there is just free credit to be had?

So if I book the cruise myself directly on the RCI website, RCI doesn't pay any commission to anyone and keeps the extra money. And they potentially don't have to give any onboard credit to me either through the TA. So why should I book directly on the website? I get that I would be in control of my reservation, but I'd gladly give up control if it meant a couple extra hundred dollars coming my way.

Maybe some of the TAs out there can help...

The cruiseline will not give you OBC for booking directly with them unless they are running a special that includes one.

TA's do not make huge amounts of money. When you are talking about a $1000 you have to remove the taxes and non-commissionables first. The cruiselines give between 11 - 16% of the balance. Then the owner of the agency gets a piece.

Some of the bigger agencies will give OBC because they can afford to. Small agencies are hard pressed to givee up some of their very small commission so won't.

If you are put into group space an agency has you can get OBC and other amenities as well.

There are a few explanations.

I agree with Booze Brothers when she said this:

I like being in control of my reservation but I do give it to my friend/ta before final payment. If I see a different cabin I want or a price drop and she's not around, I can do it myself. I would hope t/a's would be happy with the commission.

So, I thought I was nice in offering it to her and it's just her loss that she didn't take it. I don't know why, she said that she could have gotten me on OBC too. We booked this cruise while on another cruise, that's how I got the OBC of $100 in the first place. I feel that I am in the right and she is in the wrong. I was nice enough to offer her this in the first place - so I don't know why she didn't take it, since she didn't have to do a SINGLE thing. I have my cruise, excursions, transportation and airfare already booked. It just puzzles me, so I will have to see her at the family reunion this weekend. I don't know whether to speak or not or just not say a thing. I am so torn and stressed now. I don't know how to act. BTW, this is my aunt that we are talking about. I put friend, but she is my aunt.

So, I thought I was nice in offering it to her and it's just her loss that she didn't take it. I don't know why, she said that she could have gotten me on OBC too. We booked this cruise while on another cruise, that's how I got the OBC of $100 in the first place. I feel that I am in the right and she is in the wrong. I was nice enough to offer her this in the first place - so I don't know why she didn't take it, since she didn't have to do a SINGLE thing. I have my cruise, excursions, transportation and airfare already booked. It just puzzles me, so I will have to see her at the family reunion this weekend. I don't know whether to speak or not or just not say a thing. I am so torn and stressed now. I don't know how to act. BTW, this is my aunt that we are talking about. I put friend, but she is my aunt. [/color][/b]

You were not wrong. She obviously has a bee in her bonnet over something. Don't stress it. You own it - end of story. Don't bring the matter up at your party and just pretend everything is normal. If she starts on you just ask her what her problem is.

I agree with Booze Brothers when she said this:

So, I thought I was nice in offering it to her and it's just her loss that she didn't take it. I don't know why, she said that she could have gotten me on OBC too. We booked this cruise while on another cruise, that's how I got the OBC of $100 in the first place. I feel that I am in the right and she is in the wrong. I was nice enough to offer her this in the first place - so I don't know why she didn't take it, since she didn't have to do a SINGLE thing. I have my cruise, excursions, transportation and airfare already booked. It just puzzles me, so I will have to see her at the family reunion this weekend. I don't know whether to speak or not or just not say a thing. I am so torn and stressed now. I don't know how to act. BTW, this is my aunt that we are talking about. I put friend, but she is my aunt.

I wouldn't worry about it!! We are going to have a blast with green drinks in our hands for 7 days!!!!!

Archived