transportation questions and beaches

bskmom

Ok... I am feeling overwhelmed. Have spent the last three days seriously compiling notes and bookmarking sites. We are leaving Sat. on the Majesty and will dock in St. George. We are 8 people. We will mostly be doing beaches and hopefully the Festivals (please correct me if I am wrong... St. George is Tues and Harbour Nights (is this Hamilton??) is Wed. We will probably do Tobacco Bay/St. Catherine (they are near each other - walkable?) . I understand there is a mini bus for $3. per person. Then we will want to do one day at South Shore (Horseshoe Bay) and maybe Warwick Long Bay. Now I understand buses are not so straightforward for this. But you can do it and pay the $1 for the hill. Now I need a recommendation for 3rd beach... (Elbow Beach maybe and how would I get there?). We love to snorkel and I love to have nice soft beach and clear water for sunbathing.

So here is a big question? do I buy bus passes for 3 days or tickets etc. Again we are 8 people. I read in my AAA book that kids to 16 are flat $1. Is that a separate ticket or can you just give $1 or is there a pass for that. 4/8 will be kids. Taxis will not fit 8 probably and will be prohibitive I am assuming. However keep in mind that mother in law is 75 and will have a little (very little) trouble walking far.

I am sorry I am asking so much but I have never been to Bermuda and want to make the most of it in the most efficient (time and financial) manner.

Any other tips you could give me or if I am missing something spectacular let me know. I was considering caves (thought the kids would like this ages 12 to 16). Not sure if I can fit it in.

Again thanks for everything as I always find the best info here.

Patti

We just got back from Bermuda, we were on the Majesty and docked in Hamilton. We purchased bus tokens for 2.50 each which we used to go to Elbow Beach. The beach is beautiful. We were able to rent beach chairs for the day for 12.00 each. CopyofNorwegianMajestyBermuda141.jpg

Now I need a recommendation for 3rd beach... (Elbow Beach maybe and how would I get there?). We love to snorkel and I love to have nice soft beach and clear water for sunbathing.

From St George, John Smith's Bay and/or Shelley Bay are good options.

Warwick and Horseshoe are good choices. You could even check out the small little beaches in South Shore park that are off to the sides between the two major beaches.

I was considering caves (thought the kids would like this ages 12 to 16). Not sure if I can fit it in

Based on your post it sounds like you want to get the most out of the beaches. With that in mind, I'd only go to the caves early in the am on your way to a beach, or if it's a rainy day... since you're on a time budget.

Just looked at the bus/ferry schedule and it says children under 5 are free and up to age 16, all zones, are $2.00

You may want to consider buying a booklet of tickets (15) that are good for all zones and cost $30. Each adult would use one of those tickets to and from where ever you're going. Most places from St. George will need an all zone ticket. Even if you have to buy another booklet it may still be cheaper than each adult buying a 3 day pass for $28.

Hope I haven't confused you. If you don't understand about tickets versus passes and what the zones are, come back and I'll try to clear it up for you.:)

You have helped a lot. I think that is what I should do. I didn't realize the booklet of tickets was "all zone". I will buy the tickets. Even if I have to buy a couple of booklets it will definitely be cheaper. Thanks so much.

Patti

PS Leaving for Baltimore in a few!!!!

I never saw that they sold a booklet of tickets. There are 15 tickets in each book?

The book is $30? and they can be used in all zones as well as the ferries? Can this booklet be bought at Dockside?

Thanks

We've bought the ticket books at the post offices in St George and Hamilton. Looking forward to someone answering if we can also buy the tickets in Dockyard!! thanks!

I've only bought passes in Hamilton. With ships docking at Dockyard and Bermuda trying to make it more convenient for everyone, I can't imagine that they wouldn't be sold there.

The $30 booklet with 15 tickets is good for all zones on both busses and ferries.

I've only bought passes in Hamilton. With ships docking at Dockyard and Bermuda trying to make it more convenient for everyone, I can't imagine that they wouldn't be sold there.

The $30 booklet with 15 tickets is good for all zones on both busses and ferries.

That is GREAT thanks for the reply!

Archived