New to HAL - Help the Confused!

4_THE_HALIBUT

This will be my first cruise on HAL, embarking on the Canada/New England cruise the last week on August. After extensive review of the forums, I have no doubt that HAL is more upscale than my previous cruises. Unfortunately, I don't know what to expect - except for a great time. Hope you HAL devotees can answer some questions.

1. Lido dress code: Is the dress casual (as in nice jeans) at all times, including formal nights?

2. Lido dining choices: Previous cruises had a buffet at all 3 meals. My research has determined there is menu service at dinner. Is dinner limited to menu service, or is there also a buffet? In addition, the HAL website states you can order the dining room menu in the Lido. Does this also include the formal night dinners, i.e. lobster, chef's special, etc?

Also, is breakfast and lunch available in the dining room, or only in the Lido and Terrace grill (for lunch, of course)?

3. Formal night dress code: My documents encourage everyone to stay in formal attire for the entire evening to enhance the ambience. While I truly love watching everyone else dance the night away in all their finerly, will I be out of place if I'm not dolled up?

4. Entertainment dress code: My documents state smart casual is the rule in the entertainment venues. Are you not allowed to attend if you are in nice jeans?

If you can't tell yet, formal night is fantastic for some, but I am looking for a relaxing vacation which doesn't include the extra packing, let alone the extra time it will take me to make a nice presentation! Just want to make sure I won't be missing out on anything if I opt out.

We will be on the Maasdam leaving Boston on August 30, you may be getting off on the day we embark. Be sure to sign up on the roll call boards. It will be our first HAL cruise also. 'Looking forward to it! Poke around on these boards and most of your questions will be answered.

This will be my first cruise on HAL, embarking on the Canada/New England cruise the last week on August. After extensive review of the forums, I have no doubt that HAL is more upscale than my previous cruises. Unfortunately, I don't know what to expect - except for a great time. Hope you HAL devotees can answer some questions.

1. Lido dress code: Is the dress casual (as in nice jeans) at all times, including formal nights? Yes.

2. Lido dining choices: Previous cruises had a buffet at all 3 meals. My research has determined there is menu service at dinner. Is dinner limited to menu service, or is there also a buffet? In addition, the HAL website states you can order the dining room menu in the Lido. Does this also include the formal night dinners, i.e. lobster, chef's special, etc? No buffet in the Lido at night, except in the sense that you pick out your own starters and desserts; only the main course is served to your table. No ordering the dining room menu in the Lido either - though the menus of the two venues will be similar. You can order the dining room menu for ROOM SERVICE, including formal nights.

Also, is breakfast and lunch available in the dining room..? Yes, though the dining room is sometimes closed for lunch on port days.

3. Formal night dress code: My documents encourage everyone to stay in formal attire for the entire evening to enhance the ambience. While I truly love watching everyone else dance the night away in all their finerly, will I be out of place if I'm not dolled up? I'll pass on this one, except to say that opinions vary widely on this point, and the answer may differ depending on cruise length and location.

4. Entertainment dress code: My documents state smart casual is the rule in the entertainment venues. Are you not allowed to attend if you are in nice jeans? Smart casual permits "nice jeans" so you're ok on this one.

If you can't tell yet, formal night is fantastic for some, but I am looking for a relaxing vacation which doesn't include the extra packing, let alone the extra time it will take me to make a nice presentation! Just want to make sure I won't be missing out on anything if I opt out.

We passed up formal nights on our first HAL cruise, and intend to do the same henceforth. Ordered dinner from room service, and didn't feel we missed a thing! Of course, we're not big on the evening entertainment, so we didn't mind spending the evening in the cabin.

Thanks for those answers. I am new to HAL myself and did not realize the Lido at night was not a buffet. It actually sounds like it may be a nice alternative if you have kids or want something more casual.

But it is part buffet.

When you arrive at the Lido you will get a tray and select your rolls, salads and appetizers. Near the end of that line you will place your order for your entree -- that will be delivered to your table. Then after that you will go and select your own desserts.

But it is part buffet.

When you arrive at the Lido you will get a tray and select your rolls, salads and appetizers. Near the end of that line you will place your order for your entree -- that will be delivered to your table. Then after that you will go and select your own desserts.

That still seems a little better to me than I was expecting. Buffets are ok, but I like the dining experience, and I am not a big buffet restaurant fan anyway. I did not enjoy the dinner buffet on my RCCL cruise and we made it to dinner every night on our Princess cruise. I would not mind getting those items myself if I still had part of the traditional dining experience preserved...I will probably only do this a couple of nights but it depends on how our dining assignment works out. We have open seating and if we can not get in early, my girls will be too hungry to wait around too late for dinner. What is your opinion on the quality of the food in the Lido for dinner? I see your name all over these boards so I trust your opinion!!:)

Travalarie,

There should be no reason that you could not be seated in the dining room if you have anytime dining. Service is from 5:30-9 pm. I have not heard that anyone experienced long waits (longer than 5-10 minutes anyway). You may not get the exact table you want but if that's important, you may call starting at 8am and reserve your table for that evening. I've heard that 7-8 is the busiest time but they do take requests in "as you wish dining".

I'm not KK, but we've had some very nice dinners in the Lido. They may not have all the entrees that the main dining room offers but they have most of them.

GN

We have open seating and if we can not get in early, my girls will be too hungry to wait around too late for dinner. What is your opinion on the quality of the food in the Lido for dinner? :)

If you want to dine early, all ships allow you to make reservations, call early and check the daily schedule for the times (they may vary depending on the ship schedule). All ships allow reservations about the times as the early fixed seating. If you can't get a reservation at the time you want, the Lido or Room Service are other options. I have had no problem with the quality of food in the Lido at any time. There are advantages of dining in the Lido for dinner in that it is easy to try a little of this and that for the starters rather than making a pick or two and possibly tossing some. There are occasionally some variations in the menu at dinner when compared to the DR. If these are important, you can check the menus of each.

3. Formal night dress code: My documents encourage everyone to stay in formal attire for the entire evening to enhance the ambience. While I truly love watching everyone else dance the night away in all their finerly, will I be out of place if I'm not dolled up?

As an aside, that one threw me off. I didn't know they officially requested this. I thought you could dress down a bit and go whereever, whenever. I also thought the discussion of formal in public areas was simply experienced HAL cruiser's wishes. My first sense is I paid for this trip as much, less or more than whoever so tough but upon reflection since being here I have changed my mind. This line seems to do quite well with repeat customers who LIKE this line so the line is better off to cater to the return cruisers until they don't. They have an established identity. If the line requests it, I guess I can be a good girl for a few nights, corns and all. ;)

Glad you mentioned this document information.

As an aside, that one threw me off. I didn't know they officially requested this. I thought you could dress down a bit and go whereever, whenever. I also thought the discussion of formal in public areas was simply experienced HAL cruiser's wishes. My first sense is I paid for this trip as much, less or more than whoever so tough but upon reflection since being here I have changed my mind. This line seems to do quite well with repeat customers who LIKE this line so the line is better off to cater to the return cruisers until they don't. They have an established identity. If the line requests it, I guess I can be a good girl for a few nights, corns and all. ;)

Glad you mentioned this document information.

Thanks. Nobody wil notice if you change into flats after dinner. :)

Archived