Montmorency Falls - Is this on a bus route?

Can I take the city bus from the cruise terminal in Quebec City to Montmorency Falls? If so, can someone assist me with times, bus stops, fees, etc. As I do not read french, I'm having a very difficult time on the transportation websites. Since there is soooo much to see in Quebec City, I haven't decided yet if it's in my best interest to take this diversion.

If you can see it, it will be as you leave Quebec City, from the port side. Here's a link to the relevant Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=46.859252,-71.138535&spn=0.098834,0.211487&z=12

The thing I'm not sure about is the angle. Ships go around the south side of Ïle d'Orléans because the north side is too shallow, and the bridge too low. But, in fact, the falls are on that side. You should be able to see them as you pass the tip of the island, but maybe someone who has sailed from Quebec can say what kind of view they had, if any.

The purpose of cruising in October is to see "the colours" so have booked a Princess tour to The Falls and Countryside of Quebec. My question is although this bus tour only takes up the morning would the whole day be better spent seeing the sights of the city, old and new. So little time, so much to see .....

We rented a car and spent time both at the Falls and on Isle Orleans. Anyone who hasn't been there has no idea what they are missing. Just checking out old graveyards and interesting rock formations was worth it for me. Went to a tiny winery and bought some ice wine. Ate a perfect meal at an inn next to a small craftsman iron works. No room left for poutine. Can't wait to go again.

The purpose of cruising in October is to see "the colours" so have booked a Princess tour to The Falls and Countryside of Quebec. My question is although this bus tour only takes up the morning would the whole day be better spent seeing the sights of the city, old and new. So little time, so much to see .....

I think the half-day tour sounds good. I don't want anyone to misunderstand my previous comment - it's not that the Montmorency Falls aren't seeing, it's just that it's a bit of a hike trying to get to them by bus... Too much lost time. I think a tour like you're planning on taking sounds a better use of time. Renting a car is another great option, as it would enable one to visit Ile d'Orléans, really very pretty... And during apple season! Roadside stalls galore!!!

It's all about prioritizing, and deciding what you want to see. Quebec is one of those ports where you can see lots of countryside with a tour, or just wander off the ship and walk around the Old City, which is right there.

• 4 years later...

Hi Joyce, it has been four years and I doubt if the original posters will be back here.

I would very much doubt if you could see much of the falls from the ship. It gets dark early in October.

If you want to go into the Quebec countryside you are best off renting a car. However for a first time visitor, there is so much to see and do in Quebec City itself that I would recommend that you stay there. You can wander around all day, stopping in shops and cafes as you please. It is a very old city and very different from any other in North America.

MaryAnn ns... I have been noticing that you answer alot of the posts... even some of my questions. We are leaving in two weeks for a ten day cruise stopping in Halifax, Quebec, Cornerbrook, and Sydney. Cornerbrook is on a Sunday and Sydney is on Canada's Thanksgiving. I would love any and all comments you have and suggestions. please excuse any misspellings as I am doing this from memory.

Halifax - My husband would like to stay in the city and just do the Pier 21 museum, the Maritime museum and walk around to various things in the city. There looks like alot just to see in the city.

Qubec - we will actually be thre for a day and a half. We don't mind lots of walking, hills are fine. both in good shape for mid fourties. so we thought we would walk both the upper and lower, take the ferry to Levi to see the view. But I am hearing alot of neat things about Ille to Orleans. Should we rent a car and go there? what should we see? It sounds like something we would both love? Where would you rent a car.. is there a place near the port?

Cornerbrook - walk around the port... someone posted that there is a trail near where the boat docks so I thought we might go for a hike as well. any suggestions?

Sydney - wanted to rent a car and go to Louisberg for the fort and reenactments, but so far most car rentals are closed due to the Holiday. Still have two more to check. Any suggestions for this port as well? due to the Holiday will most things be closed?

We are in our mid forties, from California. I am originally from Holland and grew up in Europe. We love art, and different food experiences. Love to try street food and little places. My husband does enjoy the history aspect. I wanted to see the Beluga whales or go kayaking in one of the ports but there doesn't seem to be much of that where we are going.

Thank you for all your help.

Wendy

So now that it's years later - and your cruise is over - please tell me how you decided to see the Falls? Should we take the city bus or book a tour? Or did you actually see it when leaving the port? We go to Quebec in Oct this year ~ Joyce

We have not taken a cruise that stops at Quebec City; but, did do a road trip in the province a few years ago. We spent four nights on Île d'Orléans. The mainland side of the only bridge to the island is adjacent to the falls. The falls are quite spectacular. But, I really don't know if the falls are visible from the "other" side of the river.

Frankly, when we were considering a cruise to see the fall color several years ago, I reasoned that we could do much better by just doing a land-based trip. And, we did. We flew into Burlington, Vermont via Jet Blue. Then, rented a car, crossed the border into Quebec, and visited Montreal, Quebec, and points north. We saw lots of beautiful fall color, stayed in several B&Bs, where the food and proprietors were great, and had a wonderful time. I'd like to do it again, and again.

We have not taken a cruise that stops at Quebec City; but, did do a road trip in the province a few years ago. We spent four nights on Île d'Orléans. The mainland side of the only bridge to the island is adjacent to the falls. The falls are quite spectacular. But, I really don't know if the falls are visible from the "other" side of the river.

Frankly, when we were considering a cruise to see the fall color several years ago, I reasoned that we could do much better by just doing a land-based trip. And, we did. We flew into Burlington, Vermont via Jet Blue. Then, rented a car, crossed the border into Quebec, and visited Montreal, Quebec, and points north. We saw lots of beautiful fall color, stayed in several B&Bs, where the food and proprietors were great, and had a wonderful time. I'd like to do it again, and again.

It does sound wonderful! Thanks for the input! ~ Joyce

Can I take the city bus from the cruise terminal in Quebec City to Montmorency Falls? If so, can someone assist me with times, bus stops, fees, etc. As I do not read french, I'm having a very difficult time on the transportation websites. Since there is soooo much to see in Quebec City, I haven't decided yet if it's in my best interest to take this diversion.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO 4_THE_HALIBUT: I've been there before. It is a nice tour on a bus from the ship. Take the tour. You don't want to get bogged down on local transportation. I don't know if they still offer tea or coffee and a slice of cake at the falls. Have a good time.

• 4 weeks later...

Went on a #800 bus from stop about a 7-8 minute walk from cruise terminal (ask on way off ship and get a map) - cost 6 CAD return. Trip took around 50 mins and was incredibly easy - the bus terminates at the falls and they're every 10 mins. Those on the cruise tour paid about 40+ CAD, I gather. 6 was far better value :-)

Archived