Tables for Two

Leo Jay

Any solo cruisers have any luck getting a table for two... for one? Thankfully GF and I were always able to get two-tops when sailing together, but I wonder if they'd be reluctant to give one to a solo diner? Though I guess the maitre d' wouldn't even know I was solo, would he? But maybe this is my chance to stop being a curmudgeon and take a risk dining with strangers... :eek:

Also, since I don't want to start another thread, I'll ask here:

Are you less likely to do it up for Formal/Elegant/Dressy night when dining solo? I usually go all out with the tux, but I'm not sure how I feel about going all out if I don't have a 'date'...

Any solo cruisers have any luck getting a table for two... for one? Thankfully GF and I were always able to get two-tops when sailing together, but I wonder if they'd be reluctant to give one to a solo diner? Though I guess the maitre d' wouldn't even know I was solo, would he? But maybe this is my chance to stop being a curmudgeon and take a risk dining with strangers... :eek:

Also, since I don't want to start another thread, I'll ask here:

Are you less likely to do it up for Formal/Elegant/Dressy night when dining solo? I usually go all out with the tux, but I'm not sure how I feel about going all out if I don't have a 'date'...

I've only cruised on NCL (and I am a woman so a dress is more appropriate than a tux) and I wore shiny-or-not cocktail dresses on every optional-formal night. I didn't have dinner by myself those nights, always with other people but I think I would have worn the same dresses even if alone.

I wish you a good solo cruise!

Any solo cruisers have any luck getting a table for two... for one?

When recently aboard the NCL Star I asked to dine alone and was always given a 4-top (all to myself).

Aboard the AMHS Columbia I was given a 2-top all to myself most of the time. When none were available they gave me a 4-top.

It seems to me that most dining rooms could stand to have more 2-tops but I'm no restaurant expert.

Oh, on your other question, NO FORMAL DINING for me! :-)

Although I have dined at a table for two, I usually don't even bother with the dressing up stuff anymore. On one occasion, they had me seated in the corner right next to the window on a lush sofa. It was fantastic. I don't mind eating alone, but on that particular night there was a table next to me with a couple and their two small children. We got to talking and we found out we lived within about 15 minutes of each other and the woman was the daughter of a person I graduated with out of a class of only 105. What are the changes of that happening? It was fun.

Thanks. I guess I'll just board early as usual and trust that the maitre d' will be willing to accommodate me. Not sure what I'll do about formal night, though. I so seldom get the chance to wear my tux... I guess dining alone in a tux isn't that much different than dining alone in slacks... I'm a big boy, I guess I can handle the stares... :D

I still don't know my dining situation on the Maasdam later this year. If I get open seating, I won't mind a large table. However, if I arrive rather late for dinner (after 8:30 p.m.) and had a hard day in port, I would request a table for two. That way I could have a nice meal in peace.

As for dressing up!! I were a uniform to work everyday and get very grimy. I really don't get a chance to dress up alot and I happen to love formal nights! I normally dress up a bit for each meal. But I'm not one of those cruisers who look down on someone who don't like the dress up. There are people who have to dress up everyday for work and the last thing that they want to do a cruise is dress up. But for me, I'm glam girl all the way!!

On RCCL (which is my exclusive to this point, I had no problem getting a table for two. Sometimes, get assertive.

I was a bit nervous when I booked my first RCCL cruise because of assigned seating with tablemates. With NCL's Freestyle, I could always choose what I wanted to do. That being said, I was suprised both times with RCCL. It seems they must try to put people of the same age and marital status together. Both cruises with RCCL, I was seated with singles and/or others around my age. It was much better than I had expected.

My last two solo Carnival cruises I ask for, and was given, a table for 2....although on the Victory I got a little attitude about getting an upper level window table, but after a little patting on the back the Maitre D' relented. I told my waiter that I wanted to get in and out asap, and he was great. I don't mind eating alone, ad brought reading material, but usually didn't need it. Just be persistent.....but respectful, and you'll get what you want.

My last two solo Carnival cruises I ask for, and was given, a table for 2....although on the Victory I got a little attitude about getting an upper level window table, but after a little patting on the back the Maitre D' relented. I told my waiter that I wanted to get in and out asap, and he was great. I don't mind eating alone, ad brought reading material, but usually didn't need it. Just be persistent.....but respectful, and you'll get what you want.

Victory has two-tops near windows? I requested early seating, so hopefully it will increase my chances of getting a 2. Thanks.

I love, love, love dressing up on formal nights, since I never get to do that here at home. Doesn't matter if you're a solo or not, dressing up is part of the fun. I'm not a fan of dining alone---I guess I'm just too social and hate the idea of not chatting up during dinner. On my last cruise, it was the best table of 8 I've ever had. We had such a great time and I never laughed so much in my life. One of the reasons I don't cruise lines like NCL is that I don't like the open seating as a solo. I like establishing a rapport with the same wait staff who get to know my likes and dislikes and I love getting to know my wait staff. It makes things so much nicer.

I love, love, love dressing up on formal nights, since I never get to do that here at home. Doesn't matter if you're a solo or not, dressing up is part of the fun. I'm not a fan of dining alone---I guess I'm just too social and hate the idea of not chatting up during dinner. On my last cruise, it was the best table of 8 I've ever had. We had such a great time and I never laughed so much in my life. One of the reasons I don't cruise lines like NCL is that I don't like the open seating as a solo. I like establishing a rapport with the same wait staff who get to know my likes and dislikes and I love getting to know my wait staff. It makes things so much nicer.

At times, I've tempted to take a chance with a group table, but it just seems like too much of a risk. If you don't really 'click' with your tablemates, you're stuck with them for the entire week, or you're forced to eat at the buffet. It's fine sharing a table in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, because each party is on their own schedule and comes and goes at their own pace. But for dinner, you eat as a group, waiting for latecomers, and eating more or less at the same pace, which is fine if you all get along and are having a great time, but if you're all just making polite talk and tolerating each other... ugh. Besides, I don't generally care how others dress for Elegant Night, but if I were in a tuxedo, and everyone else at my same table went with a shirt and tie, I'd feel a bit awkward.

Leo Jay, I just got off the Victory for my first solo cruise. I was at an 8 top but only 4 of us showed up - not sure if more were assigned or not. We were all solo. The gentleman seated with the 3 of us ladies thoroughly enjoyed himself. We found plenty to talk about, and I was surprised to find that I looked forward to dinner each evening. I had worried about the dining arrangements, but sharing this table definitely enhanced my solo experience. One other thing to mention, the solo women clearly outnumbered the solo men on my cruise, and probably most cruises :)

LeoJay, you never have to stay at a table you're not happy with. I've changed tables a couple of times when the tablemates were less than great. All you need do is chat up the maitre'd and ask for a change. It's usually not a problem for a solo.

LeoJay, you never have to stay at a table you're not happy with. I've changed tables a couple of times when the tablemates were less than great. All you need do is chat up the maitre'd and ask for a change. It's usually not a problem for a solo.

Hm, good to know switching after the fact is a possibility; I never knew that. Only thing is, it would be probably be hard to get a two-top if I waited until after the first night's dinner to make my request, so if I moved, I'd more likely just be taking my chances with another group table. Anyway, food for thought. Thanks.

Leo Jay, I just got off the Victory for my first solo cruise. I was at an 8 top but only 4 of us showed up - not sure if more were assigned or not. We were all solo. The gentleman seated with the 3 of us ladies thoroughly enjoyed himself. We found plenty to talk about, and I was surprised to find that I looked forward to dinner each evening. I had worried about the dining arrangements, but sharing this table definitely enhanced my solo experience. One other thing to mention, the solo women clearly outnumbered the solo men on my cruise, and probably most cruises :)

Good to know they seat solos together. Thanks.

Archived