Visa free cruise questions

Is it possible to combine dh's points off his visa account (50,000) with points off my visa account (75,000) to get a free cruise which is 125,000 points? I know we'd probably get 2 separate certificates and just wondering if RCL would allow us the free Caribbean cruise or would be sticklers about it. Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing????

Is it possible to combine dh's points off his visa account (50,000) with points off my visa account (75,000) to get a free cruise which is 125,000 points? I know we'd probably get 2 separate certificates and just wondering if RCL would allow us the free Caribbean cruise or would be sticklers about it. Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing????

I do believe that you cannot combine points in that way. No personal experience in trying, mind you... but I have read on these boards that you would not be able to do that.

You could, however, use points from two different accounts for OBC... in other words, $500 OBC from his points and $750 OBC from yours.

HTH

A~

You can not combine points. My husband and I have the card issued in his name and I get a spouse card, with the same account number as his in my name. That way all the points accumulate in his name and it is easier to get the free cruise. I would use his 50000 points for a free 3 or 4 night cruise for the two of you, then get rid of his card and have them issue him a card with your account number. The points will all go to you and you can work your way up to a free week's cruise.

You can not combine points. My husband and I have the card issued in his name and I get a spouse card, with the same account number as his in my name. That way all the points accumulate in his name and it is easier to get the free cruise. I would use his 50000 points for a free 3 or 4 night cruise for the two of you, then get rid of his card and have them issue him a card with your account number. The points will all go to you and you can work your way up to a free week's cruise.

good suggestion. This way she has taken advantage of the free points of both cards!

Also, she could consider 2 "free 4 night cruises" done Back to back (if possible) gaining an extra night AND 25000 points left over for OBC ;) Not sure if you can find a ship that does 2-4night cruises in a row... maybe a 3 night and a 4 night? worse case... 2 3 nights? but you see where I am going here.

A~

You can do a three nighter followed by a four nighter on the Majesty or Sovereign of the Seas, but both are older ships. Also, the itinerary would not be great, because you can not get too far from Miami or Cape Canavaral, and you would have to spend an extra day there while passengers embark and disembark on the "switch" day.

We just used 50000 points for a free 4 nighter on the Enchantment, but that ship only alternates with 5 nighters.

As an aside, that is the best value for the points. The free cruise gives you the least expensive outside cabin up to $1000 for the 3 or 4 nighter and $2500 for the one week cruise. The outside cabin for the 3 nighter is only about $800 for two and a weeks cruise is usually about $1800, so you do not get full value. The cheapest outside on the 4 night Enchantment was $1050, so we got the full $1000 credit and it only cost us $50.

RCL used to give the full 2% credit - i.e. $1000 towards the 3 or 4 nighter and $2500 for the weeks cruise, now it is less. Taking an OBC only gives you 1% of the point value. As a result, we are just using up the points we accumulated and have switched to the Starwood Amex program, which is much more generous with its perks. Once again, the points for both my husband and my usages will go into his account, adding up more quickly.

Archived