Help me choose - St. John excursions

Has anyone an opinion on either of these excursions:

St Andrews-by-the-Sea

Price $95

Duration Approximately 5 hours

Description Board your tour coach for a short drive through the city of Saint John and a brief visit to the world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids where some of the highest tides in the world meet the mighty Saint John River and cause the river to reverse direction twice a day. Drive along the Bay of Fundy coastline to the picturesque resort town of St. Andrews-by-the-Sea. You'll stop at the historic Fairmont Algonquin Hotel for a traditional tea featuring freshly made scones and preserves. Explore the charm of this historic seaside town by motor coach and on foot. Don't miss the shopping opportunities for woolens, pottery, pewter and glassware in the quaint shops along the waterfront. Relax for the rugged coastline drive on your trip back to your cruise ship in Saint John and learn lots of fascinating stories and history about the Bay of Fundy from your guide.

or

St. Martins and the Bay of Fundy

Price $79

Description Visit this picturesque fishing village where you'll step back in time and sense the serenity of this picturesque area with its wharf, fishing boats and piled lobster traps. This is a photographer's delight with a lighthouse and twin covered bridges with the ocean for a backdrop. Visit the wave-carved sea caves in the sandstone cliff if the tide is low enough to allow access while you're there. Take a walk along the rocky beach and enjoy the sounds of nature around you. Learn how this small community was famous for its wooden ship building industry and see some of the highest tides in the world ebb and flow during your visit. Chowder and biscuits will be served at the restaurant overlooking the Bay of Fundy. You'll have an added bonus on this tour of also visiting the world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids where the huge tides from the Bay of Fundy force the mighty Saint John River to flow backwards twice every day. One more treat is in store for you before returning to your cruise ship. Stop and explore the unique Old City Market in the heart of Saint John and learn why the local folks have loved to buy fresh produce here since 1876.

Thanks!

Has anyone an opinion on either of these excursions:

St Andrews-by-the-Sea

Price $95

Description Board your tour coach for a short drive through the city of Saint John and a brief visit to the world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids where some of the highest tides in the world meet the mighty Saint John River and cause the river to reverse direction twice a day. Drive along the Bay of Fundy coastline to the picturesque resort town of St. Andrews-by-the-Sea. You'll stop at the historic Fairmont Algonquin Hotel for a traditional tea featuring freshly made scones and preserves. Explore the charm of this historic seaside town by motor coach and on foot. Don't miss the shopping opportunities for woolens, pottery, pewter and glassware in the quaint shops along the waterfront. Relax for the rugged coastline drive on your trip back to your cruise ship in Saint John and learn lots of fascinating stories and history about the Bay of Fundy from your guide.

or

St. Martins and the Bay of Fundy

Price $79

Description Visit this picturesque fishing village where you'll step back in time and sense the serenity of this picturesque area with its wharf, fishing boats and piled lobster traps. This is a photographer's delight with a lighthouse and twin covered bridges with the ocean for a backdrop. Visit the wave-carved sea caves in the sandstone cliff if the tide is low enough to allow access while you're there. Take a walk along the rocky beach and enjoy the sounds of nature around you. Learn how this small community was famous for its wooden ship building industry and see some of the highest tides in the world ebb and flow during your visit. Chowder and biscuits will be served at the restaurant overlooking the Bay of Fundy. You'll have an added bonus on this tour of also visiting the world-famous Reversing Falls Rapids where the huge tides from the Bay of Fundy force the mighty Saint John River to flow backwards twice every day. One more treat is in store for you before returning to your cruise ship. Stop and explore the unique Old City Market in the heart of Saint John and learn why the local folks have loved to buy fresh produce here since 1876.

Thanks!

I will be going on the St martin Bay of Fundy tour on my cruise next week I will write a review if it will help you decide.

We did our own St.Martins Tour.......for $35 car rental and $20 of fuel. Even got the chowder. For the 4 of us, cost less than $100 in contrast to the potential $280 the tour cost.

We were to the caves before the bus got there, so got to explore it on our own, before the tide got too high. Friends of ours went on the bus tour. Apparently there are more than one bus that goes there. The bus that got there while we were there were able to enjoy walking close to the caves for a short time, but our friends were on a bus that got there too late, they had to stay on the parking lot and look at them in the distance. They were very upset.

I loved the caves, especially being able to wander into them and explore them alone with my kids. I'd highly recommend renting a car and doing it on your own. We also took a detour along another shoreline road that a taxi driver recommended, walked around a lighthouse, saw miniature ponies, stopped to talk to someone tending their garden, walked along another beach as the tide continued in......all things we would have missed on a bus tour.

IMG_0332.jpg.d858599fd4367d6cc0f3682ef36d00e1.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg.e4e3ef5e321a344ed972c65358c00f41.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg.dc8185c1d0ad7c7b1110119026a0bc77.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg.ebb5157ddb5fa2754a48f6261535c44f.jpg

Hi! I live about 90 minutes outside of Saint John (south east beach area of NB). I would agree with pal2pluto that a car rental would be cheaper and you could enjoy the area at your pleasure. The bay of Fundy is beautiful and both St.Martin and St.Andrew are great. It's all very easy to find with a map (or mapquest before you leave for the cruise!). If you decide on St.Martin, check tide times before heading out. This will help you plan your day's activities and ensure you get to the caves during low tide.

Most importantly, talk to the locals ...we're a friendly, helpful bunch here in Atlantic Canada! Make sure you eat some fresh seafood and enjoy!!!!!

Gisele

The July 3 Canada New England cruise on RCCL got into port late and since people on private tours had to wait to disembark,they got off latter also the ship was only in port from 11 am to 5 pm. So sometimes spending a few extra dollars is worth it.

We are on the Caribbean Princess next month and will be visiting Saint John. We booked a private tour with Freedom Tours to do the Bay of Fundy/St Martins. I think it is $69 a person and it is only us - not a tour bus. In case the ship comes in late and there is not enough time to do the tour, there is no cancellation fee so I do not have to worry about losing money. We seriously thought of renting a car and driving ourselves but we decided that sometimes it is more fun to let someone else do the driving and at the same time give us a narration of what we are seeing, the history, as well as local culture.

alpal1993 = I can't wait to read some recent reviews so I will be watching for your post.

Pal2pluto - thanks for info and thanks to all others too. I'm anxious to hear from the cruisers that are cruising right now before I decide on taking cruise excursion to St. Andrew, renting a car, or doing Freedom tour. May I ask which car rental agency you used - did they pick you up at the pier and how did you handle the return. How long did it take you to get to the Falls. Did you still have time to spend at the downtown market? We are in St. Johns fro 10 to 8 p.m. Yesterday, I started checking out tide tables but I have a lot to learn. I want to walk in the caves if possible. Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Suzanne :We did the St Martin Tour and had a great time.First we were given a rose for all the Ladies and all the Gents got a pin.Everyone was so nice.Sharon was our tour guide and she was great,My husband drives a truck and driving is not his cup of tea,when we are on such a short stop.We also really enjoy the history lesson we receive as we relax,We were only in port from 11-5.And of course we got off the ship first.as we had the tour

Just to clarify... we have two cities in Canada with ports on the east coast. There is Saint John, NB and St. John's, NL. The first is NEVER abbreviated, the second has an apostrophe. St. John is a port in the US Virgin Islands.

(Oh and in French, Saint-Jean is Saint John, NB and St-Jean-sur-Richelieu is a suburb of Montreal, QC.)

Just to clarify and make sure people understand your questions, we have to assume you meant Saint John, NB.

We are on the Caribbean Princess next month and will be visiting Saint John. We booked a private tour with Freedom Tours to do the Bay of Fundy/St Martins. I think it is $69 a person and it is only us - not a tour bus. In case the ship comes in late and there is not enough time to do the tour, there is no cancellation fee so I do not have to worry about losing money. We seriously thought of renting a car and driving ourselves but we decided that sometimes it is more fun to let someone else do the driving and at the same time give us a narration of what we are seeing, the history, as well as local culture.

alpal1993 = I can't wait to read some recent reviews so I will be watching for your post.

There are at least 2 posts and reviews of our cruise on the main board.We had a fabulous group of us on Meet and Mingle.I can actually say we had the best time ever on a ship that we ever experienced.If you have any questions please ask.

Archived