Weather Worries

LakerMom

We are leaving tomorrow on the Holiday and will be visiting Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. I checked the weather and it shows thunderstorms and rain all week long . . . . 60% chance.

I know when we go to Florida it rains for a short period almost every afternoon. and once it is over it is over. Are these ports like that too or when the weather says 60% chance of rain, does it mean it will rain ALL day EVERY day?

First of all, there is no activity in the tropics right now. So don't worry about that.

Second, showers in the tropical climates don't last long and then they move along.

Third, don't trust these weather web site (don't want to mention any names because these companies have nasty lawyers) that claim to give you the "zip code" forecast when looking up the weather outside of the U.S. Especially in the Caribbean or "tropical weather" part of the world. There isn't any good data down there and their computers are just making a wild guess to give you the forecast. "We'll make a forecast, who knows if it is right, but we'll come up with something" Garbage in --- garbage out. If you are going to Mexico, there isn't much you can do to get a good forecast. If you are going to the USVI or PR, the US National Weather Service does have a forecast office in San Juan (google it) that does a good job for that part of the world. Cayman Islands also has a good weather office. Not much else down there.

We are leaving tomorrow on the Holiday and will be visiting Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. I checked the weather and it shows thunderstorms and rain all week long . . . . 60% chance.

I know when we go to Florida it rains for a short period almost every afternoon. and once it is over it is over. Are these ports like that too or when the weather says 60% chance of rain, does it mean it will rain ALL day EVERY day?

This time of the year, there will be thunderstorms and rain everyday. Usually, these are simply showers that pass quickly...not enough to ruin your cruise or shore experience. It makes for beautiful sunsets too......

I was in Cozumel 2 weeks ago (right before Dolly) and the forecast said the exact same thing. It was sunny, hot and humid. I LOVED IT!!! As someone else already said....if there is a shower, it usually lasts from 5 minutes to 20. If it's in the afternoon, you'll probably welcome the cool down. Have a great trip!!!

Archived