Does he who screams loudest get heard???

secordwest

Come on now someone has to know if yelling really works

Why it is such a top secret as to how Carnival upgrades

Someone must know - come on - come clean and give us the scoop

I keep reading about booking a guaranteed room and all the pro and cons of doing so. I have never used this method before and am wondering have I made a mistake and if so can I, correct it? I have booked two guaranteed balcony rooms on the Pride for January 16 2005. What are my chances of getting two rooms together? If it is slim to none, than can I call Carnival and pled that they assign us rooms close together, oh ya and upgrade us too, and make sure we are at the same dinning room table and champagne in our rooms and a free spa treatment that would be great too.

• Truly is calling Carnival any help at all?

• Is being a past guest any help?

• If it is your birthday does that help?

• Does being a VIP help?

If it’s none of the above that works, than someone in the know please let me know what does work???

• Truly is calling Carnival any help at all? Not likely.

• Is being a past guest any help? Ha ha ha ha ha.

• If it is your birthday does that help? Get serious.

• Does being a VIP help? Not unless your name is Arison or Dickinson.

Well, what I've learned on these boards is

1) You should tell your TA, or rep that you want your rooms connected on your reservation. I believe they will try & keep your rooms together as best they can.

2) Rumors abound re: upgrades. I've heard the earlier you booked the better, the more you paid for your trip may get you the better upgrade vs someone who paid less, perhaps those who have booked a wedding w/Carnival may get a better upgrade & finally the throw of the dice, meaning it may be a crapshoot.

I'm for the crap shoot theory. We booked 5 GTEE Oceanview cabins for my family in Feb for the Thanksgiving sailing of Glory. We booked at the same time, all from Travelocity. 4 cabins are 6A windows on Rivera (not an upgrade) and 1 cabin is a Balcony 8D? on Verandah Deck! Mix of past guest cruisers and not, and basically 5 identical bookings all linked for dinner and 1 gets awesome upgrade to Verandah with balcony.....sounds random to me.

Why don't you wait and find out.

As for screaming, if I were the one you were sceaming at, trust me, I would not help you.

I have to say that screaming is probably not the way to go.....You might instead try "killing them with kindness"..... ;)

are you a lucky kind of person? lol. I think its random for upgrades as it hasnt helped us being past guests.....6 with carnival, or booking early, we book anywhere from 6 to 8 months prior. this only points out that if you want specific kinds of rooms then book a specific room. we were upgraded once to an ocean view on riviera deck ....... 2 port holes in the front of the ship...... we heard the waves slapping against the hull all night. did I complain ? no, I took the roll of the dice and still enjoyed my cruise, its all in the attitude. that vibration you hear people complain about ? its the thrusters and you do hear them plenty if your on riviera deck ethier forward or aft. been there too, I didnt mind it at all. I was on a ship and enjoying myself to no end. keep a good attitude and enjoy your vacation

We booked two guaranteed rooms(IS) on the Spirit in March of 2004. When the fiinal assignments were made we had two outside cabins next door to each other. So at least in this case it appeared that Carnival did take into account the linked reservations. You may want to call Carnival and make sure that the two reservations are linked in their system.

We booked two guaranteed rooms(IS) on the Spirit in March of 2004. When the fiinal assignments were made we had two outside cabins next door to each other. So at least in this case it appeared that Carnival did take into account the linked reservations. You may want to call Carnival and make sure that the two reservations are linked in their system.
I have to agree with above. We booked 2 assigned rooms (6B) for the Elation in December. We received a call from our TA yesterday asking if we both wanted upgraded to Cat 12s next door to each other. We had to think about that for all of about 1 second. But it did appear that Carnival did take into account the linked reservations. Beyond that, it appears random to me.

I think it's random. Our friends booked an assigned outside cabin on their second Carnival cruise. They got upgraded to an aft balcony. I have family working on board and was in the most inside of inside (at least for three nights).

Coulombic,

So how did you decide who is getting the balcony? Are you just giving it to the people who were originally assigned to it?

I'm definitely curious because I have also booked five OV guarantees for our December cruise. We are linked for meals but I might have told the Carnival PVP that we didn't need to be right next to each other.

I hope we at least all get the same category cabins. Even if they are all on the Rivera deck.

Cruise 29 times on Carnival since 1995;

Cruise 6 times on Princess since '95;

TOTAL: 35 Cruises on Carnival.........

Adds up to:

1. FREE Upgrades Everytime!

2. FREE Internet Everytime!

3. FREE Shore Excursions Everytime!

4. FREE Bar Coupons Everytime!

5. FREE Chocolate Covered Strawberries Everytime!

6. FREE Bottle of Wine Everytime!

7. FREE Invitation to Captains Special Cocktail Party Everytime!

Did I miss out anything? Oh yes.......Cheapest Cabin Prices (from Australia)!!

We had booked six specific balcony cabins in a row on the Conquest on the Empress Deck. About three months before the cruise, they changed the cabin that we had three booked in to a double only. They upgraded us all to the Panorama Deck but we were spread out in six cabins out of the first ten on that deck. The upgrade was well worth it even though we weren't all together any more. They made out on the upgrade though because now we will only book on the Panorama Deck and that costs more. ;)

Hi all

From what i read it does sound random.

I am going to ring Carnival when i get to America. Ask very nicely how much it is to upgrade to a balcony. If its not to expensive i will do it. Got quoted here in aus an extra $800 each even though on expedia it was $130????

I am hoping by being the very sweetest i can be, Kill the with kindness like someone else suggested, and also let them know it is our wedding anniversay which it is, it may get me an upgrade, but if i dont no problem.

You can only try. :D

Caz

Coulombic,

So how did you decide who is getting the balcony? Are you just giving it to the people who were originally assigned to it?

We all knew it was a crap shoot the day we booked and part of the fun and excitement was waiting to see who got what. We will leave the balcony with my sister who was assigned it. She won the "upgrade lottery" and hopfully we might see a switch also before we board (but we're not holding our breath).

Last 2 cruises, booked within 5 days of the cruise, and upgraded from 1A to Oceanviews. (so much for booking in advance to get upgrades).

These 2 cruises were both booked LOW SEASON, so the likelihood of available upgrades was, I'm sure, higher.

However, I have a different concept. Just imagine yourself in charge of the booking upgrades and you're thinking, "How can I best reward those that make Carnival the most money?" :confused:

The obvious (to me), the Sail'n'Sign records. Here one would have a chronological day-to-day record of the SPENDING HABITS (read PROFITS) of a passenger.

As a business man, that's the way I would do it. Of course, if a ship is full, no upgrades would be possible. If the ship wasn't even close to full, upgrades would be given to even the "cheapest" (I mean no offense) of paxs. :)

OK we are first time cruisers who booked 1 1/2 out. When I booked I wanted an assigned OV but a assigned balcony 8A was the same price so I took it. I am 6 days from departure and TA called with the news that Carinval upgraded us to an 8I. I knew that it was still a balcony so I was not sure if it was really an upgrade but the TA suggested I take it so I did. Looked at the room location when I got home and it looks like it is a good room so just waiting to have fun. I really did not expect to get moved since I had a assigned room but we did.

i was told that in order to be at the same table or have rooms next to each other it needed to be under the same name when making the reservations. Don't know :rolleyes:
Not true.... we have booked a cruise with another family with two different TA's and we are not related and we have our bookings cross-referenced in the Carnival system.

Archived