Just off Liberty Western 7/19

CruzinScotty

Had a GREAT time. The captain and crew did a wonderful job keeping us away from Dolly. We swapped our sea and Cozumel days. We spent a whole day doing a large figure 8 between Cuba and the Keys in order to keep us north of the winds and waves.

As a result we had less time in Cozumel But, I'll take 9 hours of sun instead of 15 hours in rain, wind and tropical storm conditions getting there any day!

Food was great. Had breakfast with people on their 13th cruise - 1st on Carnival. They said the food was the best they've had!

I brought duct tape - and I actually used it! Hurt my big toe on the falls in Jamaica. Thought to buy gauze, but not tape - so duct tape did the trick.

Embarkation was the latest I've seen, they didn't start boarding till 12:20. But debarkation was wonderful. We left our cabin at 7:05 with our luggage and were out side the customs office at 7:20.

I'll post more later when I get home.

The Liberty is a FANTASTIC ship, I highly recommend her.

Glad to see you said she was a FANTASTIC ship and that you would recommend her. My husband, 13 year old son and I will be on the Liberty doing the Western Caribbean itinerary on August 16. It has been about three years since we have cruised and it is good to know that we will be on a ship that so many folks have such good things to say about. Looking forward to reading more about your trip. Thanks.

I know welcome back isn't what you may want to hear, but welcome back..

Glad the captian averted Dolly and your vacation wasn't ruined.

Cruising the liberty in Feb...can't wait to read your review

Ryan

Just got back today and it was great. I was bummed about the weather and the change in the itinerary (having three port of call days in a row; and less time in Cozumel) but it was for the best.

Yes, three port days in a row was a bit much. It affected our plans in Cozumel because we didn't want to go non-stop 3 days in a row. So instead of an island tour and the beach, we went back to Chankanaab (which we did in 2002) and did shopping at the International Pier.

We did the Nativeways Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour in Grand Caymen and a private tour in Jamaica with Marva Shaw which included Dunns River Falls. Both were wonderful. There are threads about each over on the Ports Of Call boards.

Well, off to cut the grass (UGH) and get the dogs out of "puppy camp". I am off a few more days, so I hope to get a trip report started soon. :)

OK, so I've submitted an official trip report. If and when it's posted, I'll let you all know. Here is a bit of the opening:

Here’s our story. We are two 40 somethings with a 12, make that 13 year old son. He became a teenager while on board. This is cruise #8 for me, #5 for DW and #3 for DS.

We have done this itinerary before over New Year’s 2001-2002 on the Paradise. DS was 6 then and not able to do some of the fun things on this itinerary (stingrays, Dunn’s River). The idea of this trip was lots of relaxation – another reason we really didn’t want to tackle new ports this trip.

The largest ship we have been on previously is the Paradise. We don’t like crowds and were concerned about the number of people on board. Being summer, we were full – 3500 total, with 1000 of them under the age of 17. We tried to do things opposite the crowds and it worked pretty well. We ate some lunches outside on the Lido because DW prefers the fresh air. In that area, you just have to expect the crowds. But, if you moved around on the upper decks and other areas, it really wasn’t bad. I wasn’t sure I’d like the layered floor plan of the Lido deck. Turns out I liked it fine. If everyone was on one deck it would have felt more crowded, at least from my perspective.

If there is interest, I'll continue posting additional information on this thread that I didn't put in the official report.

Let start and see if I can post pictures OK:

The cruise terminal as seen while outside on Deck 3 waiting to get our Sign/Sail photos taken:

579599872307_0_ALB.jpg

After we got on board and were eating on the Lido deck - here is the crowd so large they are waiting outside before starting the boarding process:

112199872307_0_ALB.jpg

And, of course - how about a picture of the Miami skyline:

496899872307_0_ALB.jpg

Here is the Hwy going to Miami Beach. I missed the turn off for the Port and we ended up on this side first. We had a beautiful view of the ship - but we were on the wrong side!

652010972307_0_ALB.jpg

Anyways, if there is interest, I'll keep posting more info.

Well the picture posting went well, so we'll keep going with it. I think instead of a day by day report, I think I'll go by different catagories.

Let's start with the room. This is my 8th cruise, but my 1st balcony. I wanted to try it especially to have some private outside space considering the size of the ship. It was a great move for us. If we do the Fantasy class again (and the Fascination will be the closest ship to home when it gets to Jacksonville), then an ocean view will be fine. Anyways here is our Empress deck cabin:

982280972307_0_ALB.jpg

755180972307_0_ALB.jpg

819670972307_0_ALB.jpg

I seem to remember the sinking being on the wall opposite the door, at least on some ships. This is the first I remember being on the side wall. I like it because you have a mirror the full width of the wall which makes the bathroom seem much bigger.

Here are a few of our extra visitors for the week:

399230972307_0_ALB.jpg

578000082307_0_ALB.jpg

How cute is this?

974050082307_0_ALB.jpg

I think this was DS's favorite:

133331082307_0_ALB.jpg

Speaking of DS, he celebrated turning into a teenager on this trip. Actually, he and I share the same birthday. We were supposed to be in Mexico for our birthdays. When the captain announced the change in itinerary, DS said "But you promised we would be in Mexico for our birthdays". DW gave a quick reply, "If you have a problem, go talk directly to the captain". His attitude adjusted quickly. :)

Anyways, he got lots of $$$ for his birthday since people knew we would be on this trip. He spent his money buying an Indiana Jones hat (which Mom helped barter the price down on) and a large Mexican blanket. I just have to show this last picture from the room of him with his presents and his 'tude:

181850082307_0_ALB.jpg

Coming next: The lights in the Lobby change colors. What's the big deal?

CruzinScotty:

When I click on the link to the pics, all I get is a "Forbidden" error - this occurs both at home and at my office.

Am I doing something silly here?

I'm really not sure. I'm copying my photos frin the Kodak Gallery website. I can see them on my screen. I'm guessing CrusingfromRI can see them since she posted to continue. I don't know about this stuff as much as I should. If I should post them differently, I'd be glad try someone's instructions.

So, I had heard the lights in the lobby change colors. When we entered the ship, we were hot, tired and hungry. It was exciting to be on board, but a little overwhelming; not to mention crowded. We did take the glass elevator up to the Lido which was nice. But, we didn't get the full effect of the changing light colors until we were no longer under such sensory overload.

Anyways, the light do change colors - and it is really neat. They change to lots of colors and quickly, too. DS sat in a chair and I just kept taking photos to show the effect:

LibertyCruise2008154.jpg

LibertyCruise2008155.jpg

LibertyCruise2008156.jpg

LibertyCruise2008157.jpg

Archived