San Diego cruise terminal to Old Town Inn by trolley? And to AP from Inn?

CoolChile

Hi San Diego folks ~

The Old Town Inn, which I'm thinking of booking (unless you tell me not to ;) ) does not have airport or cruise terminal transportation ... understandable as their rates are reasonable. I'm told a taxi would be $15-$20 from the cruise terminal to the OTI, and about the same from the OTI to the AP (for 2 people) . . . sound right to you?

Second qx'n: Would my friend and I be able to take the trolley or a bus instead of a taxi for these 2 trips . . . or am I nuts? :p Oh, and it probably goes without saying we'll each be lugging a suitcase.

We're just trying to save money for a great San Diego Mexican restaurant foodfest on our one evening there. :D

Hi San Diego folks ~

The Old Town Inn, which I'm thinking of booking (unless you tell me not to ;) ) does not have airport or cruise terminal transportation ... understandable as their rates are reasonable. I'm told a taxi would be $15-$20 from the cruise terminal to the OTI, and about the same from the OTI to the AP (for 2 people) . . . sound right to you?

Second qx'n: Would my friend and I be able to take the trolley or a bus instead of a taxi for these 2 trips . . . or am I nuts? :p Oh, and it probably goes without saying we'll each be lugging a suitcase.

We're just trying to save money for a great San Diego Mexican restaurant foodfest on our one evening there. :D

Yes, you would be able to take the trolley. I "trip planned" Old Town State Park. Actually Old Town Inn is in the opposite direction right across Pacific Coast Highway from the Old Town Transit Center. It's all reasonably walkable.

Taxis may have gone up recently but it usually costs us no more than $15.00 with tip from our house to the airport which is just about the same distance as you are traveling.

Enjoy your time in San Diego.

Here is the link:

http://www.sdcommute.com/TripPlanner/index.asp

1. walk 0.2 mile SE from BROADWAY PIER to SANTA FE DEPOT TROLLEY STATION

2. Take the BLUE LINE TROLLEY signed BLUE OLD TOWN

3. Get off the stop at OLD TOWN TRANSIT CENTER.

4. walk 0.1 mile SE to OLD TOWN STATE HISTORIC PARK (you would go west to the Inn)

Schedules and maps for your routes :

http://transit.511sd.com/Services/TripPlanRedirect.aspx?r=COASTERmap

Trolley Information Fare Information Regular Fare: $ 2.25 Senior & Disabled Fare: $ 1.00

Total Trip Time = 0 hr. 12 min.

Just keep in mind that to get there from the airport on the Trolley you must first take a city bus or taxi to the Trolley Station (probably the Little Italy or Midtown stations are closest) and then to Old Town, the roll your luggage across the train tracks and another couple of blocks from the Old Town Trolley Station. You also have to lift your luggage up 4-5 steps to get it into the Trolley. If that sounds like a bit much, then you may want to stick to the cab.

Going to the cruise ship terminal, you would also have to get your luggage to Old Town, get it into the Trolley, and then drag is again several blocks (by the time you get to the actual cruise ship terminal), again across the railroad tracks.

Otherwise, the Trolley is a good way to get from Old Town to Seaport Village, Downtown, or to the shopping malls in Mission Valley, or even to Tijuana if you are so inclined.

I agree with Splinter that taking the trolley is somewhat of a thrash. (Splinter, look at the trip plan according to the trolley website...they walk to the Santa Fe Depot from the Broadway pier to catch the trolley).

I got the impression that these visitors might be younger. If that is the case, based upon my experience (and memory of what it was like when I was younger) it is totally do-able. And...you can save money for your Mexican restaurant. Now...if you want a review of the best Mexican restaurant in Old Town. After a few margaritas they're all good.

I traveled this way when I had more energy and less money:D ...now I take the taxi.:o

Splinter, look at the trip plan according to the trolley website...they walk to the Santa Fe Depot from the Broadway pier to catch the trolley.

Well of course. How else would they get from the trolley station to the pier unless they spent money on a cab or pedicab to go the 3 blocks involved???? That is what I indicated above.

I agree with Splinter that taking the trolley is somewhat of a thrash (. . . . ) I got the impression that these visitors might be younger. If that is the case, based upon my experience (and memory of what it was like when I was younger) it is totally do-able. And...you can save money for your Mexican restaurant. Now...if you want a review of the best Mexican restaurant in Old Town. After a few margaritas they're all good.

I traveled this way when I had more energy and less money:D ...now I take the taxi.:o

Hello Splinter and kk-1 ~

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. I'm really happy because my post obviously gave the impression that "these visitors might be younger." :D Well, not so much. We just wanted to see if we could take the trolley from the cruise terminal TO the Old Town Inn without killing ourselves. Splinter, I'm now not inclined to do when we fly out the next day ... taxi sounds much more normal! :o

So kk-1, you got me excited mentioning reviews for Mexican restaurants (so where ARE they?). Think I'll start a thread later on asking about best-Mex (search function not working) and yes, I know it's subjective. Went to grad school in Austin, TX, and I want good margaritas AND good Mex, both. The former can't mask icky food, but it sure can help.;)

Either way, you have to lug your luggage onto the trolley.

My first vote would be for the Old Town Mexican Cafe in Old Town. Great margaritas, and carnitas to die for. Be prepared to wait. No reservations, and in the summer (esp. on weekends) it can be packed. About a 3 block walk from the trolley station, on the east side of the tracks (your hotel is on the west side).

Next would be the Casa Guadalajara. This is technically outside the park, but still run by Diane Powers, who lost her lease in Old Town and had to move her more famous restaurants here and to La Mesa (Casa de Pico). Huge margaritas and good combination plates.

Splinter's right about Old Town Mexican Cafe...even us locals roll down the hill and belly up...in the "off" season...for the reasonably-priced margaritas and the carnitas (I prefer them with the flour tortillas and the shredded and not the chunky). The salsa is spicy. Having said that...it does have its "moments". Be prepared for a wait.

Haven't been to Guadalahara Grill lately (oops they changed the name I noticed). It's a little off the beaten path and a little more upscale so you may beat the crowds. Browsing through a down-sized and relocated Bazaar Del Mundo (not going to go into the local controversy surrounding that move) might be interesting for you.

You might check online into El Agave...slightly more upscale with a wide range of tequilas.

You might get some ideas just wandering around Old Town...it's a buzz of activity. I have to always be on my guard so I don't run over a visitor on my daily rounds. I wish I could tell them that if it's a contest between a several hundred pound car and them...they'll lose everytime. Having said that...I am mindful because I'm just the same way when I'm the "tourist".

Be prepared...the Old Town Inn is on the busy Pacific Coast Highway (six lanes I think) across the street and across a parking lot from Old Town. Not the most glamorous location but well located and I think it gets good reviews on "Trip Advisor". To be right in the center of things the Best Western Hacienda Inn is just steps away from the heart of the Old Town action (rooms in the 100 or 200 blocks get the best reviews) but pricier. There is also the Holiday Inn Express which is just a short walk into the center of things. You can take a look on "Trip Advisor" to see a review of hotels in the Old Town area.

Well...if you're not young...you're young at heart. :)

Enjoy your stay in San Diego.

My first vote would be for the Old Town Mexican Cafe. ( . . . ) Next would be the Casa Guadalajara. ( . . . ).[/quote]

OMG, Splinter . . . I'm salivating like a beagle at high noon in the desert. I don't usually "do" Mexican food twice in one today (okay, unless I have leftovers from the night before, in which case I'll have it for breakfast), but I think we'll have to try Casa Guadalajara for lunch and Old Town Mex for dins. Howzat sound?

BTW, our Zaandam cruise gets in from Hawaii Wed. Oct 8, so the line-ups should be a little less by then, mayhaps (love that word ;) ).

Thanks again, Splinter, you are such a knowledgeable asset to this board.

QUOTE by kk-1: Splinter's right about Old Town Mexican Cafe...even us locals roll down the hill and belly up...in the "off" season...for the reasonably-priced margaritas and the carnitas (I prefer them with the flour tortillas and the shredded and not the chunky). The salsa is spicy. (. . . )Haven't been to Guadalahara Grill lately (oops they changed the name I noticed). It's a little off the beaten path and a little more upscale so you may beat the crowds. Browsing through a down-sized and relocated Bazaar Del Mundo (not going to go into the local controversy surrounding that move) might be interesting for you.

You might check online into El Agave...slightly more upscale with a wide range of tequilas.

You might get some ideas just wandering around Old Town...it's a buzz of activity. I have to always be on my guard so I don't run over a visitor on my daily rounds. I wish I could tell them that if it's a contest between a several hundred pound car and them...they'll lose everytime. Having said that...I am mindful because I'm just the same way when I'm the "tourist".

Be prepared...the Old Town Inn is on the busy Pacific Coast Highway (six lanes I think) across the street and across a parking lot from Old Town. Not the most glamorous location but well located and I think it gets good reviews on "Trip Advisor". To be right in the center of things the Best Western Hacienda Inn is just steps away from the heart of the Old Town action (rooms in the 100 or 200 blocks get the best reviews) but pricier. There is also the Holiday Inn Express which is just a short walk into the center of things. You can take a look on "Trip Advisor" to see a review of hotels in the Old Town area.

Well...if you're not young...you're young at heart. :) quote]

Hi again kk-1~

That's exactly what I'm looking for, a place where the locals go. I'll belly up to the enchiladas with them any day. :D I also love carnitas with flour tortillas, shredded, not chunked meat, spicy salsa, etc. BTW, as to El Agave, your tequila comment sounds great, but how would you rate the food? (You can weigh in too, Splinter.) I know this oughta be a new thread -- I just hope others see the great ideas here for Mex nosh despite the thread title. Or I guess if they don't, the line-ups will be shorter. ;)

Appreciate your comments about accomodation. Yup, I do my small-r-research on TripAdvisor before booking, so have checked out the Old Town Inn and their own website. It's budget I know (more pesos for dins and a Margarita with better tequila), but as you know, it gets good reviews. Before I actually book though, I'll check out the Hacienda. I think it'll be impossible to beat the price we're getting at the OTI . . . we really just need clean and safe with 2 beds (the pillow-tops are a bonus :) ).

And I realize it's busy on PCH. We'll be really mindful of the traffic because, who knows, you could be driving by. :D

Signed,

Young at heart fer sher ...

the first thing to do would be to check out www.sdcommute.com for the routes. The walk from the Depot to the terminal is possible, all depending on the amount of luggage. I have walked from the Depot to the terminal. They even somtimes have those "bicycle rickshaws" at the depot that can take you to the terminal for $5.

Miguel's in Coronado or Shelter Island? I would suspect the Shelter Island location due to where your hotel is located. It is OK Mexican food, but not great or very authentic. The location is OK too, but not much of view. Owned by the same company that owns the Brigantine chain locally.

Hi Splinter, yes it would be on Shelter Island, no reservations have been made so we are not comitted to them. Myself and another gentleman are the Chairmans for our Roll call and we offered, Brigantines, ( possible closure for remodling Sept-Nov), Anthony's Fish Market, Fiddlers Green., & Bali Hai. One of our Roll call members and her husband have eaten there and liked it. Myself I liked Bali Hai as far as Web appearance, and find it hard sometimes to find a good Mexican Restaurant. We have a local family one here in Palm Springs, Las Consuelas with 3 locations. Thank you for your reply.

Speaking of Mexican Restaurants, our Roll Call for Oct is planning on Miguels, we are staying at the HI Bayside.

If you do end up at Miguel's:

The warm cheese sauce that is complimentary with the chips is very good

The fish taco's are pretty good

The Chicken Suiza enchiladas are popular with locals

I haven't been to the Point Loma location for awhile, usually it's the Coronado location if we're over there, so I don't know if the food is exactly the same.

Always a debate over Mexican restaurants here in San Diego. We had a lively debate going on Trip Advisor a while back. I think the verdict was that everyone had their favorite "hole in the wall".:)

[BTW, as to El Agave, your tequila comment sounds great, but how would you rate the food? (You can weigh in too, Splinter.)

And I realize it's busy on PCH. We'll be really mindful of the traffic because, who knows, you could be driving by. :D

Signed,

Young at heart fer sher ...

I haven't been to El Agave recently. My sister thinks the mole is very good there. http://www.elagave.signonsandiego.com/

Here are reviews from Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-agave-san-diego

Hey...I try to be careful on my rounds...but you guys gotta do your part! :D

Enjoy your visit.

For food recommendations I found that Yelp was a reliable website.

If the waits are too long at Old Town Mex (and you're going off the carnitas "menu") and Guadalajara Grill...try La Pinata which is right next door to Guadalajara and sit out on their little patio.

GG and La Pinata are reached by going straight down Taylor St. (that's the cross street just north of your hotel).

Take a look at Yelp...local reviews!

kk-1 ....

Once again, kk-1, thanks for your ideas. Looking forward to checking out reviews on the Yelp site. Do they call it that because that's what you do when the salsa's too hot? :D

You sound like as much of a Mex-foodie as I am. Now, watch those tourists when you're rolling around in your Hummer. Those babies can put a dent in a tourist's backside. :p

Archived