Has anyone taken the PADI certification course on a RCCL ship?

I was going through the excursions today and noticed this course on our cruise in December. I know the two dives are in St. Maartin (Mon) and take 4.5 hours. They said it was a 12 hr course and the rest would be taught onboard. The ship leaves at 10pm on Saturday and we port in St. Thomas on Sunday. Does anyone know how the onboard portion works? Thanks a bunch, my DH has been wanting to get certified!

I don't know how it works on board a ship, so am being rude and telling you what I think! (forgive me..);)

As a diver, I think divers should become certified in your home area, so you can develop a personal relationship with a local dive master and their school, and reap the benefit of in-depth classroom instruction. Since dive excursions are pretty costly, when you go on your cruise, you can book dive excursions that might be more enjoyable that a schoolroom dive.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use so much of my cruise having to be in a classroom or in the bottom of the pool either!

Either way, diving is a blast!

I don't know how it works on board a ship, so am being rude and telling you what I think! (forgive me..);)

As a diver, I think divers should become certified in your home area, so you can develop a personal relationship with a local dive master and their school, and reap the benefit of in-depth classroom instruction. Since dive excursions are pretty costly, when you go on your cruise, you can book dive excursions that might be more enjoyable that a schoolroom dive.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use so much of my cruise having to be in a classroom or in the bottom of the pool either!

Either way, diving is a blast!

Not being a diver I agree with you.

I was looking at the cruise PADI certification as well. But I talked to dive shops and they advised against it. So one of these days I will hook up with a local dive company (its cheaper anyways) and learn how to scuba dive.

I was going through the excursions today and noticed this course on our cruise in December. I know the two dives are in St. Maartin (Mon) and take 4.5 hours. They said it was a 12 hr course and the rest would be taught onboard. The ship leaves at 10pm on Saturday and we port in St. Thomas on Sunday. Does anyone know how the onboard portion works? Thanks a bunch, my DH has been wanting to get certified!

Let me tell you briefly about my dive certification in St. Maarten.

In 1989, I went for my deep water certification.

We departed for Man-o-war reef at 10:30 AM.

We were to be back to the marina by noon, or, there about.

The first dive to 60 feet went well.

The second dive to 120 feet went well also,

until we did our "safety stops" ascending.

When we surfaced our boat was GONE!

Just like the movie "OPEN WATER".

The Boston Whaler broke anchor line and, floated away.

Lucky for us, we were within

sight of St. Maarten. Also, there were no sharks around.

They found the boat within an hour..

It took them until after 6 PM to find us.

There were 6 of us...clinging together until we could be found.

That was a LONG time to float around with only head above water.

The good news is, I got my certification as a P.A.D.I. certified diver.

The bad news is, I have had ZERO desire to ever go again. :(

But, it is wonderful, if one enjoys scuba diving.... ;)

Wword to the wise person here.

NEVER go diving unless someone stays aboard the boat.

I know the US Coast Guard has that rule, but,

St. Maarten back then, did not...

I'd say complete the instruction/classroom stuff at a local PADI-certified school if you have access to one, and do the actual certification dives during the cruise.

I have to agree. The certification offered on the ship isn't really a full Open Water cert. that would allow you to dive on your own (with a OW certified buddy). The ship's cert. is only a Scuba Diver certification which means that you'd only be able to dive with an instructor or DM.

If at all possible, it is better to do the school work and pool dives at home before the cruise. You get a referral letter from your local dive shop, then you can do the 4 open water dives thru the ship's program.

Another benefit of doing the class work and pool dives at home is that you are not as limited on time. If you need extra help with the class work or any of the pool skills, you can much more easily spend the time at home. On the cruise you have to do everything on their schedule with no time for anything extra.

If you can't do the class work/pool dives at home, I suggest just doing the Discover Scuba dives on the cruise and plan to do the Open Water Certification at home after this cruise in preparation for the next cruise.

My 18 y.o son took the PADI course on board the Mariner in April 2007. Despite the rumors on these boards it is a full open water certification. He had a blast. All the classroom and pool work was done when we were at sea and not in port. The course fee included the 4 open water cert dives. It was a great way to get certified. We are in the upper midwest so cert dives in our area are in 40 degree water in filled in quarries - no thanks! I'll cert in the Caribbean! Of course your local dive shop is going to tell you to cert at their establishment - they want your money! The Sea Trek staff were very professional and extremely competent. I say go for it! If diving is one of your dreams - make this your dream vacation.

My 18 y.o son took the PADI course on board the Mariner in April 2007. Despite the rumors on these boards it is a full open water certification. He had a blast. All the classroom and pool work was done when we were at sea and not in port. The course fee included the 4 open water cert dives. It was a great way to get certified. We are in the upper midwest so cert dives in our area are in 40 degree water in filled in quarries - no thanks! I'll cert in the Caribbean! Of course your local dive shop is going to tell you to cert at their establishment - they want your money! The Sea Trek staff were very professional and extremely competent. I say go for it! If diving is one of your dreams - make this your dream vacation.

That is contrary to what RCI says on their website.

IMO, you really, REALLY want to do the referral where you do the class work and pool dives at home with your local dive shop where you will have the opportunity and time to get extra practice if needed.

Here is the link that details the full Open Water PADI certification course offered on board RCI ships. Not all ships and itineraries offer it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000G5EMIZpgNo5mq7K74rDgp2P:12hdhu87a?ProductCode=ZM07&DestinationCode=CARIB&sourcePage=shorexByTypePortDest&ActivityTypeId=4

Just an addendum to the link above. This one is listed as St. Marten, but if you go to the excursion pages and search through the SCUBA and Snorkel section, there is several locations that offered the full cert. Look at the excursions offered on your itinerary.

While I understand the importance of having a local dive shop as a resource, if the OP is looking for an opportunity to get certified on his vacation, this is a great alternative. Time is a precious commodity and this way he can fit certification into his busy schedule by making it a memorable part of his vacation. Why miss out on the opportunity to experience the beautiful world under the sea because you cannot make a SCUBA class fit in your schedule at home?

We took the PADI certification aboard a Princess ship, and I am sure it works about the same way. They had us read the book on our own time, and then we did class room work together as a group of 6 of us. We went to the pools together, and got to dive on two of our port stops. Since we would have gone snorkeling if we hadn't got the opportunity to dive, we loved it! The class room time wasn't intrusive of our cruise, because we were doing what we wanted to do. Learning to dive. But really, it was a couple hours of class room time before lunch, and then pool time in the evenings, before dinner. It wasn't every day either, just on sea days.

When we returned home, we went to the dive shop, and started working on our advance diver certification.

I think it was a great way to learn to dive, and you don't have to pay both a local dive shop, and the cruise ship, to do your certification. That is what happened with our Advanced cert. Paid our dive shop for the books and class room, then had to pay the people who took us for our dives. They charged the same as if we did the whole certification at both locations.

KT

Hey Everyone first time poster on this site love2float is my mom i took the course on a RCI cruise in april'07. it was loads of fun because i got to meet people from all over the country though the kid from CA was slightly confused as to where i wanted to dive in WI.

@ Original poster txwildflower2002

The class room portion consists of watching the padi supplied videos filling out the worksheets the instructor ensuring that everyone understands the material and stories kinda like Kindergarten minus the coloring. the instructor was probably the most accomplished diver i'd ever met his log books held tale of 20,000 dives. and most importantly he made sure everyone understood.

@bruce-r

It is a full open water cert if you'd like I'll post a scan of my C-card. It even says Royal Caribbean International. Though some people did stop at scuba diver level but you can do that portside too.

I understand your thing about having a local shop as soon as i got home i went to one of the local shops and chated with them about local diving. I'm currently in the process of joining one of the local dive clubs.

As to limited on time who really needs all that time to do the class work it's mostly common sense I probably could have gone through the entire course only watching the videos which was basically all the classroom stuff was. plus Steve sharing some interesting stories and making sure everyone understood everything. But that last part didn't take too much time like i said diving certs are easy. (except the rdp chart that took some people hours to get).

@honeywell

as for "schoolroom" dives my open water dives in Grand Cayman and Coz were very fun. we did as much class work as was allowed on the first dive at a site and then on the second did the rest and sightseed (sp?) (is that even a word)

and it really didn't take that much time out of the cruise like an hour or 2 for the videos and class work 3 days and 2 hours for pool work twice. plus the pool work was at like 6am so I actually got more cruise time because i was up earlier than i would have been

@FL_Cruiser64

Yes it's more expensive but what on a cruise ship isn't more expensive than on land. even a watch i bought at a duty free cost more portside despite what the clerk told me.

and like love2float said of course a local dive shop will tell you to do it with them they are a business they want your money.

@love2float

Jeeze mom i'm 19

@bruce-r

It is a full open water cert if you'd like I'll post a scan of my C-card. It even says Royal Caribbean International. Though some people did stop at scuba diver level but you can do that portside too.

I want to be clear, I did not doubt you did the full Open Water cert. I just was saying that RCI doesn't mention it on their website.

I understand your thing about having a local shop as soon as i got home i went to one of the local shops and chatted with them about local diving. I'm currently in the process of joining one of the local dive clubs.
Local diving will make you a better diver.

As to limited on time who really needs all that time to do the class work it's mostly common sense I probably could have gone through the entire course only watching the videos which was basically all the classroom stuff was. plus Steve sharing some interesting stories and making sure everyone understood everything. But that last part didn't take too much time like i said diving certs are easy. (except the rdp chart that took some people hours to get).

Some people need extra time for the class work because "common sense" isn't always so common. Other people need more pool time because it takes them longer to become comfortable breathing underwater along with the added skills they have to demonstrate underwater.

Hi all,

We just returned from Liberty and they offer both the SCUBA diver certification and the Open Water certification but only on the Western cruise.

I posted an update here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=802887&highlight=padi with the schedule.

The Open Water Cert is not listed on the web site. If you haven't already, go the the PADI sight and look at the medical forms. If you have to answer yes to any question, you'll need a Dr's release before you can proceed. Our instructor said many people sign up and then discover they have a problem on board. The question that got me was are you over 45 and have a family history of heart attack or stroke. I'm 51 (as of the first day of our cruise) and my mother has had a stroke. I was able to get signed off before we left.

Check out the other thread for current comments and feel free to ask any questions.

Steve

Posted earlier on the other thread.

Quick question, please. This thread deals principally with initial or basic certification. But what about those of us who hold a C card but haven't dived in a number of years? There aren't many dive shops in our area and only one appears to offer a PADI recertification course.

I've checked existing threads and found no discussion on recertification. Has anyone taken such a course while on-board to requalify for open water dive excursions? If so, would be interested in cost and time requirement (we're currently scheduled for Voyager in spring 2009 and I presume that such courses, if available, would be offered on Voyager and Freedom class vessels). Thanks,

T Lex

I spent hours and I mean hours in the classroom and in the pool (I am SSI and we spent some 20+ hours) at my local dive shop to get my C-card. I cannot imagine a few hours here and there and then being given a C-card. Too much can go wrong and there is entirely too much to learn in that short of time, and you DO want to learn it because your life (and possibly someone else's) could depend on you knowing everything you should know to be a certified scuba diver. If indeed it IS a full open water certification as some have stated, it sounds dangerous to me.

I tried to edit my last post but it timed out on me..any-whoo, I did some investigating and this is what I noticed. From the Royal Caribbean web site, it reads:

"Upon completion of the short course, you will be awarded the PADI Scuba Diver certification".

further down it reads:

"Throughout the course you'll learn the basics of diving through participation in pool dives, knowledge development sessions and 2 exciting open water dives in some of the best locations in the world".

Now, in addition to my book and pool work, I had to take a written test and do 4 open water dives with an instructor before I was given my Open Water C-Card. According to the PADI website, you have to have 4 dives to get a PADI Open Water certification. I am just not convinced this 'PADI Scuba Diver' certification is a full Open Water C-Card, JUST my opinion.

Hi all,

We just returned from Liberty and they offer both the SCUBA diver certification and the Open Water certification but only on the Western cruise.

I posted an update here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=802887&highlight=padi with the schedule.

The Open Water Cert is not listed on the web site. If you haven't already, go the the PADI sight and look at the medical forms. If you have to answer yes to any question, you'll need a Dr's release before you can proceed. Our instructor said many people sign up and then discover they have a problem on board. The question that got me was are you over 45 and have a family history of heart attack or stroke. I'm 51 (as of the first day of our cruise) and my mother has had a stroke. I was able to get signed off before we left.

Check out the other thread for current comments and feel free to ask any questions.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the EXCELLENT advice.

Posted earlier on the other thread.

Quick question, please. This thread deals principally with initial or basic certification. But what about those of us who hold a C card but haven't dived in a number of years? There aren't many dive shops in our area and only one appears to offer a PADI recertification course.

I've checked existing threads and found no discussion on recertification. Has anyone taken such a course while on-board to requalify for open water dive excursions? If so, would be interested in cost and time requirement (we're currently scheduled for Voyager in spring 2009 and I presume that such courses, if available, would be offered on Voyager and Freedom class vessels). Thanks,

T Lex

I've never heard about a need for "recertification". Once you get a certification, it doesn't have an expiration date. BUT you are smart in thinking that you need a refresher course. RCI does offer that on their Voyager class, and larger, ships. From the RCI website:
Scuba Tune-Up

Been a while since your last dive? Refresh your knowledge and skills at sea with your SeaTrek instructors. Even if you have made a dive recently, this course will boost your confidence and enjoyment. $49 USD per person.

I'd check into doing that.

Bruce-R (Great first name): Thanks for the information on the refresher course. Yes, you're correct, I was typing rapidly and used a term that was technically inartful ("recertification"); once you've earned the "C" card you don't have to go through the course again. But the "refresher" training is what I'd intended; note that a number of the SCUBA excursions (and it's been my experience in Caymans, Cozumel, and Panama) state that the dive is limited to C card holders who have dived within the last two years and I think that I probably need some sort of "paper" or entry in the dive log to qualify. And the "refresher" was exactly what I was looking for.

Now...I didn't find that particular entry on the FAQ's, the excursion lists for, e.g., Cozumel, etc., so I'll recheck the RCCL website. But I'd also appreciate it if you could post me to the cite. Thanks, again.

T LEX

I tried to edit my last post but it timed out on me..any-whoo, I did some investigating and this is what I noticed. From the Royal Caribbean web site, it reads:

"Upon completion of the short course, you will be awarded the PADI Scuba Diver certification".

further down it reads:

"Throughout the course you'll learn the basics of diving through participation in pool dives, knowledge development sessions and 2 exciting open water dives in some of the best locations in the world".

Now, in addition to my book and pool work, I had to take a written test and do 4 open water dives with an instructor before I was given my Open Water C-Card. According to the PADI website, you have to have 4 dives to get a PADI Open Water certification. I am just not convinced this 'PADI Scuba Diver' certification is a full Open Water C-Card, JUST my opinion.

I just took both classes on Liberty last week. They offer both the Suba Diver Cert and the Open Water course although the later isn't listed on their web site and isn't available on all ships / sailings. On Liberty it's only only on the Western Caribbean cruises. The Scuba Diver cert limits your depth and you can only dive with an instructor. This consisted of the first 3 chapters of the PADI book, tests on each chapter, watching the PADI videos on each chapter pool work and 2 open water dives. During the dives, both pool and ocean, you have to demonstrate skills you have learned. I did ask my instructor if anyone fails and she said yes.

The Open Water Cert adds chapters 4 and 5, quizes, 2 videos, pool work, 2 more ocean dives and yes, the 50 question final to the list above. I missed 1, #7. Tricky wording. We had about 20 in the first class and 3 that went all the way to open water cert.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to get out my log book and we could go over specific skills.

On the other thread that I started, I listed the schedule. It does take some serious time. We borrowed a book and read it before the trip but we still had to read and study outside of the classroom.

Steve

I just took both classes on Liberty last week. They offer both the Suba Diver Cert and the Open Water course although the later isn't listed on their web site and isn't available on all ships / sailings. On Liberty it's only only on the Western Caribbean cruises. The Scuba Diver cert limits your depth and you can only dive with an instructor. This consisted of the first 3 chapters of the PADI book, tests on each chapter, watching the PADI videos on each chapter pool work and 2 open water dives. During the dives, both pool and ocean, you have to demonstrate skills you have learned. I did ask my instructor if anyone fails and she said yes.

The Open Water Cert adds chapters 4 and 5, quizes, 2 videos, pool work, 2 more ocean dives and yes, the 50 question final to the list above. I missed 1, #7. Tricky wording. We had about 20 in the first class and 3 that went all the way to open water cert.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to get out my log book and we could go over specific skills.

On the other thread that I started, I listed the schedule. It does take some serious time. We borrowed a book and read it before the trip but we still had to read and study outside of the classroom.

Steve

WOW...all of that and a vacation squeezed into a week! Seems like a lot of important information to swallow in a short period of time. Me personally, I would hate to spend money on a cruise and then be tied to to a schedule of lessons and tests but to each their own. I still agree with many of the previous posters, I would strongly urge people to get certified before their vacation.

Not sure how we would 'go over' specific skills online from your log book, but thanks for the invite. Congratulations on your certification. Happy cruising and safe diving!

WOW...all of that and a vacation squeezed into a week! Seems like a lot of important information to swallow in a short period of time. Me personally, I would hate to spend money on a cruise and then be tied to to a schedule of lessons and tests but to each their own. I still agree with many of the previous posters, I would strongly urge people to get certified before their vacation.

Not sure how we would 'go over' specific skills online from your log book, but thanks for the invite. Congratulations on your certification. Happy cruising and safe diving!

It is the same (PADI) course and time requirements that you incur on land. In 2005, I talked my DW and DS into getting their certification on our cruise (since we were going often enough and they really wanted to do it). We factored time into our schedule and actually made it part of the vacation. Since then, my DW has established a very good relationship with 2 local dive shops. They each have 45 and 46 dives repectively (includes 2 shark dives). I even made them do the refresher course 6 months after their certification so I would be comfortable that they had retained the basic skills and info. They also have added a couple of additional certifications and are looking to add even more. It has turned into a great hobby for both of them.

I would love to dive but for medical reasons I cannot.

I strongly recommend that anyone considering doing any type of diving that they consult their doctor and get the PADI medical form signed as cleared to dive. It will certainly save a lot of hassle at some dive locations.

It is the same (PADI) course and time requirements that you incur on land. In 2005, I talked my DW and DS into getting their certification on our cruise (since we were going often enough and they really wanted to do it). We factored time into our schedule and actually made it part of the vacation. Since then, my DW has established a very good relationship with 2 local dive shops. They each have 45 and 46 dives repectively (includes 2 shark dives). I even made them do the refresher course 6 months after their certification so I would be comfortable that they had retained the basic skills and info. They also have added a couple of additional certifications and are looking to add even more. It has turned into a great hobby for both of them.

I would love to dive but for medical reasons I cannot.

I strongly recommend that anyone considering doing any type of diving that they consult their doctor and get the PADI medical form signed as cleared to dive. It will certainly save a lot of hassle at some dive locations.

I am sorry that you cannot dive because it is (as you know) so much fun. And you are right, people should be safe and get cleared by a doctor before attempting to get certified.

Like your DW, I dive with my son and it is such a wonderful experience to share. Living in central Ohio, there are not many places to dive and I wish I could do more. My son is far more advanced than me, having earned his Stress & Rescue certification too. He also does a lot of local quarry diving with his Dad. I hate to be such a 'girl' about it, but I cannot push myself to quarry dive. The water just looks so muddy and dirty to me. And I dont know if I could EVER muster enough courage to shark dive...kudos to your DW and DS.

I am sorry that you cannot dive because it is (as you know) so much fun. And you are right, people should be safe and get cleared by a doctor before attempting to get certified.

Like your DW, I dive with my son and it is such a wonderful experience to share. Living in central Ohio, there are not many places to dive and I wish I could do more. My son is far more advanced than me, having earned his Stress & Rescue certification too. He also does a lot of local quarry diving with his Dad. I hate to be such a 'girl' about it, but I cannot push myself to quarry dive. The water just looks so muddy and dirty to me. And I dont know if I could EVER muster enough courage to shark dive...kudos to your DW and DS.

I wouldn't say not liking quarry diving is "girlie". MY DW and DS both don't care for the local quarry for the same reasons you mentioned. There is another quarry a couple of hours from us that appears to be clearer and has more "stuff" to see. They may make a trip there.

I also agree about the shark thing. I think they're nuts but they absolutely loved it.