Alaska Internaries

Mauijane

Help! I have never cruised but have been charged with planning a cruise for 14 people for my parent's 50th anniversary! We will have 13 adults (27-74 yr old) and one 2 year old. Everyone wants to see beautiful scenery, glaciers and wildlife. My parameters - Inside Passage, 7 days, roundtrip from Seattle or Vancouver. I have it narrowed down to two itineraries:

1. Roundtrip from Seattle on Princess - Golden Princess. This goes to Tracy Arm but not Glacier Bay or Hubbard Bay.

2. Roundtrip from Vancouver on HAL - Zuiderdam. This goes to Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay.

I am torn between the larger Princess ship (more stable, less sea sickness?) but it seems to have the least desirable itinerary or the smaller HAL ship with the better itinerary.

I am hoping all you cruise veterans can help me.

1. Which would you suggest?

2. Are my fears of the stability of the HAL ship unwarranted (it holds 1916 passengers and weighs 85000 tons)?

3. Is the route from Vancouver smoother, even on a smaller ship?

4. Does anyone know about the planned renovations to the Zuiderdam? I assumed it will be like going on a new ship?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't want anyone to have a very expensive cruise ruined because I picked a ship that will make people more prone to being sick!

You will have much more scenery on the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver than the Golden out of Seattle as the Zuiderdam sails a full or true Inside Passage route whereas the Golden spends a significant amount of time in the Pacific where you won't see anything. The seas in the Inside Passage are much smoother than the open Pacific, in the Inside Passage you may have some seas as you cross Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance but we are speaking in terms of a few hours. I wouldn't worry in the least about the size of the Zuiderdam in the Inside Passage, we did it last year in the Mercury which is 88,000 tons and didn't feel a thing.

By far, the best choice is HAL. You seem to have also forgotten the very important routing factor, Seattle will have WAY more motion compared to round trip Vancouver, so your ship size concern is hardly a valid one of which to make your selection upon. IF the stability is a factor, then avoid Seattle, just about a given of one of the sea days being rough.

They are both, big cruise ships and the size difference, between them, hardly makes any difference in the sailing.

Bottom line, HAL wins this one with the excellent itinerary. :)

We sailed on the "Z" last Nov. and it was going into dry dock for upgrades after our cruise. I think it is a wonderful ship. We did the inside passage on the Ryndam 2 yrs ago from Vancouver and most of the time we were insight of land. Really enjoyed the balcony because we saw whales, seals, and a bear sitting on the balcony. The ship has side stabilizers so you don't feel any movement. We had one day of rough seas when we went out into the Pacific on the way back but it wasn't bad at all but we are not prone to seasickness. I vote for HAL also. We have cruised 4 times with HAL and they are very customer friendly. I hope you have a wonderful time. Anne

We sailed on the "Z" last Nov. and it was going into dry dock for upgrades after our cruise. I think it is a wonderful ship. We did the inside passage on the Ryndam 2 yrs ago from Vancouver and most of the time we were insight of land. Really enjoyed the balcony because we saw whales, seals, and a bear sitting on the balcony. The ship has side stabilizers so you don't feel any movement. We had one day of rough seas when we went out into the Pacific on the way back but it wasn't bad at all but we are not prone to seasickness. I vote for HAL also. We have cruised 4 times with HAL and they are very customer friendly. I hope you have a wonderful time. Anne

Correction-- The bear was not sitting on the balcony - we were and saw him/her on the shore:D

Thank you for the great advice! I really appreciate this board because the experienced cruisers are so friendly and willing to help!

I am definitely going with the HAL out of Vancouver! I am so excited but 2009 now seems so far away!

Virgil... I am relieved that the bear was on land!

Archived