Specialty dining comment from the Sun

Re Ginza.....:Recently took an Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Sun (beautiful ship), and thought we would try the "Ginza" sushi restaurant. We were charged $15 each to each as much sushi we could want. We ordered a few different rolls, and started with miso soup. When it arrived it looked beautiful, so I took a picture. When we started to eat it, we realized it was really of low quality sushi-very disappointing. If we weren't so hungry we probably wouldn't have eaten it. I am used to high quality sushi even at an average marketplace sushi establishment. This quality was far below that. I was very embarassed for having to pay $15 each for this. I also realized later on that I should have been offered green tea at the beginning as is the case in most sushi establishments I have been to. I did ask for it near the end of our dining, and after a while did get it, but it was lukewarm. I observed a few people around us, not eating much of their food, and one group was unhappy with requesting tea for their mother and not getting it. Basically the service was very much lacking in addition to the poor quality of food. I really feel that this sushi should just be added to the buffet in the garden cafe. For five dollars less, you can dine in the Il Adagio italian restaurant which is very beautiful decor, and the food is quite nice. Sorry, but I just had to put my two bits in.

Well basically, nothing about it tasted fresh, it seemed like it was a couple of days old. Gummy rice, come on! Tempura in the roll was totally soggy and cold. If something like this is offered, it had better be great service, really good food for $15 per person. I mean a roll only costs 4-5 in any sushi establishment on land. I really enjoyed every other food area on ship, but this sushi establishment really has a problem. People were falling over each other in the dining rooms, giving wonderful service, why can't this happen in specialized dining areas?

Well basically, nothing about it tasted fresh, it seemed like it was a couple of days old. Gummy rice, come on! Tempura in the roll was totally soggy and cold. If something like this is offered, it had better be great service, really good food for $15 per person. I mean a roll only costs 4-5 in any sushi establishment on land. I really enjoyed every other food area on ship, but this sushi establishment really has a problem. People were falling over each other in the dining rooms, giving wonderful service, why can't this happen in specialized dining areas?

I am sure it wasn't fresh, probably frozen, unless they fished off the side of the ship. $15 isn't a lot for sushi. Did you complain? I am going to guess you did not, but decided to come here and tell all of us. If I eaten the first couple of bites and thought it tasted old and stale, I would have said something.

Nita

Archived