We have a few thoughts about Bologna. Its certainly a unique city that is famous for its many collanades (and trust me, they let you know about this). We also recall that it has its own leaning tower (not uncommon in Italy). But perhaps our best memory (we spent 3 nights there a few years ago on one of our driving trips) was the gypsy lady that tried to pick my pocket near the center of town in broad daylight. We were sucessful in spurring her attempts (I finally had to start pounding her with my Tote umbrella), but she did manage to get a map out of my pocket. My wife also reminds me we never had a good meal in that town, and its a part of Italy to which we have never returned.

Hank

We spent a week there and loved it and had wonderful meals every night. The cooking is not what most tourists expect since it is not Southern Italian but is true Northern Italian with many sauces and food that we don't have here. Pasta is just one course, always made fresh, with meat dishes as well. I don't like meat very much so I just ate the pasta course with a salad. We went to local places to eat but one of the best restaurants in all of Italy is there called Papagollo's - (the parrot). I am sure my spelling is wrong but the restaurant is on San Stefano Street. Bologna is not really a tourist city but they have a wonderful flea market in town by the park where you can get shoes, linens etc. Explore the University area especially the library - it is one of the oldest universities in the world and the rare book room is phenomenal. I don't know if you can still get in though or you may have to make advance arrangements. We have been all over Italy and what I loved about Bologna was that it was not full of tourists. We took the bus or walked everywhere since we wouldn't dream of driving there. Enjoy a real taste of Italy.:o

Archived