best/worse item to pack

knobcreek

The best items that I have packed:

1.) An electric power strip. Most cabins only have one or two outlets. But most people now have many electrical devices that need to charge overnight (computers, pda, cell phone, cameras, MP3's, Ipods, etc.) The power strip allows for all to charge at once.

2.) Zip Lock Storage bags. We take several of each size of these bags. (just stuff them all in one of the big ones.) You would be surprised how handy those are on trips. From little souveniers and little jewelry that could easily get lost in luggage, to wet swimsuits to power cords that need to be kept seperated... they have a TON of uses on trips. (not just cruises, we take them on all trips!)

We always bring the large zip lock bags, makes packing at the end of the cruise easier, once they are filled with dirty clothes we pack them away so theres not much to do last night.

I never brought electric power strip but think I will begin adding it to our luggage since between cameras & phones we seem to have a lot to chg up..Linda

I travel with a power strip, too, even if a room technically has enough outlets, I like to keep all my cords together so I don't forget them when we check out.

A collapsable laundry hamper. I use it even for a weekend trip to seperate my dirty laundry, it has handles and is great when we do laundry when we travel.

Blister kit: In a snack size ziploc: moleskin cut into various shapes and sizes, individually pkg alcohol wipes, various sizes of bandaids, the ones with characters often stick the best, various sizes of the special blister bandaids, small pkg of antibiotic lotion. You'll usually find a few other random items in my little ziploc too, shout wipes for stains, a hair tie, safety pin, and a mini caribener. If you feel a pre-blister "hot spot" don't forget that you can use the moleskin and bandaids on the shoe instead of or as well as on your foot to cushion whatever is rubbing.

I'm also a big fan of wipes. I personally carry both baby wipes and antibacterial wipes. You can actually bathe youself with baby wipes in an emergency, just fyi. I use them for cleaning hands and faces, dining room tables and chairs - especially high chairs which even nice resturants don't seem to bother to wash for some reason. I even use them to clean hotel rooms that aren't clean to my standards; when I have to give a young child a bath you'll usually catch me cleaning the tub with a baby wipe first.

I pack dish soap in a foaming hand soap container, just a few tablespoons. Then I can fill it part way with water when we arrive and have foaming dishsoap. On land vacations we often eat breakfast in the room and can wash silverwear and my youngest still uses tippy cups so I wash those everyday.

I guess the worst thing I ever took was the over the door shoe organizer, just my luck that it didn't fit over any of the doors in the particular hotel we took it too and we didn't use it on the closet rod because it would have taken up too much of the hanging space. So that was a huge waste of space and weight in my luggage.

And on my last trip, I packed a half eaten banana from breakfast one my day pack and then forgot about it, that was a huge mistake. ICK!

Archived