Tales from the muster drill

smygirl

On our very first cruise, we were some of the first to muster and so we were against the wall with folks 5 deep while rooms were called. It seemed to never end. When the staff finished calling rooms, we thought it would be over, but then the Captain came on. He had a very strong Scandinavian accent and said a few things, then a pause long enough for my DH to say loudly, "Yumpin' Yimmeny!" Everyone within earshot burst out laughing and we never did hear what he had to say. I guess you could say it lightened everyone's moment. :rolleyes::D:o

• 3 weeks later...
We were on the Carnival Ecstasy and were stuck behind a family with 2 small children. Needless to say, the little boy was horrible (he was around 5-6) Anyway, his mother kept yelling his name (like he was going to stop! ha!) so for several days, everywhere we were, they were. We were relaxing by the pool and there they were! Mom was still screaming his name! We got off the boat in Cozumel and went to Playa Mia Beach. We are relaxing and chilling in our chairs, looking at the beautiful water, sipping pina coladas when all of a sudden we hear a very familiar name being screamed! My sister and I looked at each other and said "NO WAY"!

Well, it was them! I will admit my glee when they tried to all load up in a kayak (I told my sister that is too much weight for one kayak)well, they immediately flipped over and the mom came up screaming! This time at the husband for tipping them over. She was not a small person and I personally felt it was not the husband's fault for the kayak tipping. We were chuckling and feeling sorry for the family because all we could think was they will remember this vacation for the rest of their lives because all mom did was scream! And it started at the muster drill!

LOL! I can relate! This was not the muster drill, but our first excursion. A little girl named "Sasha" miserably cried for our whole bus trip which was a good 30 minutes. Later wouldn't you know it-after we returned to the ship and were eating at the buffet- we discover the same miserable little girl, still crying was sitting only about 10 feet away from us.

The next day we discover that once again, Sasha and her family had booked the same excursion as us. that time hubby and I were smarter; there were 2 buses and we maneuvered to get on the other bus. LOL! but we saw her at the Mayan ruins in Belize, once again crying. LOL!

Once again, after we returned, her family again were sitting near us at lunch and once again the poor little girl was crying.

It seemed for the rest of the week, we would run into this family at least once a day, and ALWAYS, this little girl was crying. I overheard her ask her mother at least half a dozen times that week WHEN were they going home. I suppose Sasha was NOT a fan of cruising!

My husband and I are seriously considering wearing snorkle masks and flippers to our next muster. I suggested it to him after our last one and the ship stewards that overheard me thought it was a hoot - you think muster is boring for us repeat cruisers, it must be a real drag for them having to see it every week.

My husband and I are seriously considering wearing snorkle masks and flippers to our next muster. I suggested it to him after our last one and the ship stewards that overheard me thought it was a hoot - you think muster is boring for us repeat cruisers, it must be a real drag for them having to see it every week.

Post your pictures when you do this, as we would love to see this.:)

• 1 year later...

Jennifer, I totally could relate to your post. Due to the medications that I take, I can become overheated quickly and if I am in a crush of people my fatigue increases quickly. I see that you have already sailed but perhaps these suggestions will help next time:

Vichy skin care makes a product I use called the Ice Effect Anti-Fatigue Stick. It looks like a mini roll-on deodorant but you roll it on under your eyes and on the back of your neck and it feels like ice. It helps to cool you down.

A longer lasting product is from the Magellan travel company. They make both bandanas and a hat that have cooling bands in them. All you do is wet the bandana in the morning and tie it around your neck. The bandana will stay refreshingly cool for the entire day. They have them in the typical red bandana print and in khaki and navy too. Hope that helps and that you had a great trip!:)

Archived