Holocaust Sites

We will be traveling on the a Baltic Capitals Cruise in August and were trying to avoid going to Berlin for the day. We were wondering if any one had visited a Concentration Camp or Holocaust Memorial/Museum that was a little closer to Waramaude (sp?)

Thanks

Debbie

Hi Debbie, we are going by private van with A/C, with Berlin Starting Point. It is far, as you know. 2 1/2 hrs. to Sachenhausen, and then another 1/2 hr. to Berlin; 3 hrs. or a little less back to the ship at night. Seems worth it though. We are booked on the 8/16/08 Connie cruise. There is a group going with Milk and Honey Tours who are on our cruise also.

We will be traveling on the a Baltic Capitals Cruise in August and were trying to avoid going to Berlin for the day. We were wondering if any one had visited a Concentration Camp or Holocaust Memorial/Museum that was a little closer to Waramaude (sp?)

Thanks

Debbie

Sachsenhausen - as mentioned just in the suburb of Berlin.

You can DIY as the trains towards Berlin all stop in Oranienburg - about 3 hours.

Ravensbrück - is on the half way to Berlin in Fürstenberg (Havel) also enroute the trainline to Berlin - about 2.15 hours

Wöbbelin - should be the closest but not good connected by public transport. Only good access if you go by car from Warnemünde.

Neuengamme - located in Hamburg - and for my taste the most easiest to access by public transport as you can get there for 25.00 EUR (for 5 persons on a day pass after 9 am) - about 3 hours.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Sachsenhausen - as mentioned just in the suburb of Berlin.

You can DIY as the trains towards Berlin all stop in Oranienburg - about 3 hours.

Ravensbrück - is on the half way to Berlin in Fürstenberg (Havel) also enroute the trainline to Berlin - about 2.15 hours

Wöbbelin - should be the closest but not good connected by public transport. Only good access if you go by car from Warnemünde.

Neuengamme - located in Hamburg - and for my taste the most easiest to access by public transport as you can get there for 25.00 EUR (for 5 persons on a day pass after 9 am) - about 3 hours.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed-

Thank you so much for the information. We are planning to rent a car, so ease of public transportation is not that important. That being said...is there one that you would recommend. We did some research and it does not seem that Hamburg is the most interesting town to visit. Am I missing something? We would like to visit whichever one is the most interesting but also has other things to see. We are traveling with two children ages 10 & 11.

Thanks again for your great help!

Heinbloed-

Thank you so much for the information. We are planning to rent a car, so ease of public transportation is not that important. That being said...is there one that you would recommend. We did some research and it does not seem that Hamburg is the most interesting town to visit. Am I missing something? We would like to visit whichever one is the most interesting but also has other things to see. We are traveling with two children ages 10 & 11.

Thanks again for your great help!

O.K.

Neuengamme in combination with Lübeck/Hamburg (check other postings) which your children might light.

Ravensbrück in combination with Rheinsberg (15 miles apart).

Sachsenhausen in combination with Potsdam (30 miles apart).

Wöbbelin in combination with Ludwigslust/Schwerin (6 miles apart).

You should not leave Germany with the impressions from the Holocaust places only.

Therefore I am trying to make you a suggestion in combination after a visit of the Camps. So you and your children can also enjoy some nice places as well.

Check what kind of alternative places you would like to go and then decide which main place you like to visit.

Regards,

HeinBloed

O.K.

Neuengamme in combination with Lübeck/Hamburg (check other postings) which your children might light.

You should not leave Germany with the impressions from the Holocaust places only.

Therefore I am trying to make you a suggestion in combination after a

visit of the Camps. So you and your children can also enjoy some nice places as well.

Check what kind of alternative places you would like to go and then decide which main place you like to visit.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed-

Thank you again for the information...I have been following your posts and we do want to see more than the concentration camp. We were interested in going Lubeck, but I could not find an english language link for Neuengamme Concentration camp. Do you know of any.

If we were interested in seeing one of the camps, and then taking a drive to a nice town with restaurants and shops and then ending up spending some time in Warramaude before boarding the ship. With that info would you recommend the neuengamme/lubeck combo or something else?

Thanks again....if you are every in NYC I can point you in the right direction :)

Debbie

O.K.

Therefore I am trying to make you a suggestion in combination after a

visit of the Camps. So you and your children can also enjoy some nice places as well.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed-

Thank you again for the information...I have been following your posts and we do want to see more than the concentration camp. We were interested in going Lubeck, but I could not find an english language link for Neuengamme Concentration camp. Do you know of any.

If we were interested in seeing one of the camps, and then taking a drive to a nice town with restaurants and shops and then ending up spending some time in Warramaude before boarding the ship. With that info would you recommend the neuengamme/lubeck combo or something else?

Thanks again....if you are every in NYC I can point you in the right direction :)

Debbie

Heinbloed-

Debbie

http://www1.uni-hamburg.de/rz3a035//neuengamme1.html for Enlgish language Neuengamme site

Heinbloed-

Debbie

The easiest way to Neuengamme:

A 20 - Lübeck - A 1 - Hamburg - A 25 towards Geesthacht.

After you got a link to an English website:

I would go later to Lübeck.

Inviting your kids to Niederegger.

They have nice lunch and very nice cakes/ice creams:

2007HLNiedereggerFensterV20-vi.jpg

From here you can go easily shopping and sightseeing like Holstentor:

2008Delphin999Luebeck-vi.jpg

and maybe a nice river cruise on the river Trave:

2007HLTraveV16-vi.jpg

And from Lübeck you can easily return to Warnemünde.

If some time is left you can go on scenic route between Wismar and Warnemünde before returning the car and walking around in Warnemünde

2007WmdAmStromF10-vi.jpg

If you like the idea: book a car with an GPS and send me an e-mail to

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

(please replace nickname by my nickname in this forum)

I'll send you instructions for the part of the scenic drive between Wismar - Warnemünde.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you so much. That sounds like the perfect day and exactly what we will do. Two more question...do you think that it is worth including some time in Hamburb or is it too much for one day and secondlly...driving do you how long do you think it will take us from the boat to the concentration camp.

Thanks again...We are looking forward to trying the treats at Nidergger

Debbie

Thank you so much. That sounds like the perfect day and exactly what we will do. Two more question...do you think that it is worth including some time in Hamburb or is it too much for one day and secondlly...driving do you how long do you think it will take us from the boat to the concentration camp.

Thanks again...We are looking forward to trying the treats at Nidergger

Debbie

O. K. Let's try it:

Guess you start at 08.30 hrs from Warnemünde...

11.00 hrs Neuengamme Concentration Camp

13.30 hrs Hamburg Landungsbrücken (Landing stage) for lunch walk around

Restaurants around fish market or having lunch in one restaurant in the Portuguese Community (Great fish speciality)...

2008Delphin004Hamburg-vi.jpg

or having Original Hamburg Labskaus in Old Commercial Room (It's next to the church in the background).

Labskaus is "mashed beef, potato etc.". Looks like second hand recycled food but great taste...

Was cooked for true sailors...

15.00 hrs I would continue for Lübeck

16.00 hrs Café Niederegger with best cake/ice cream or ice cream cake (Grillagetorte) and shopping. Some pictures opposite of Niederegger at the town hall and Holsten gate.

18.30 hrs transfer to Warnemünde, filling up the car and return of car

20.00 hrs short walk in Warnemünde

I think this would be a perfect day.

I saved the time doing a Trave-river-cruise. You are anyway on a cruise and so give a little time for a short walk in Hamburg and having lunch there.

As I do not have an idea on which ship you are you'll better adjust the schedule to the arrival time and departure time of your ship.

Check here for details.

I hope you like my suggestion.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks again-

We are on NCL Jewel. We dock at 8 and are there till 10pm. I think that we might skip Hamburg and spend somemore time in Lubeck and at the Concentration camp. If we do the scenic route from Lubeck back to wauramade are there nice places to stop?

Debbie

Thanks again-

We are on NCL Jewel. We dock at 8 and are there till 10pm. I think that we might skip Hamburg and spend somemore time in Lubeck and at the Concentration camp. If we do the scenic route from Lubeck back to wauramade are there nice places to stop?

I did not expected to fear you so much with the picture of Labskaus, that you want to skip Hamburg...

Check here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=15604820&postcount=10

and write me an e-mail...

You'll get the instructions.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived