No Refund of deposit re Non Smoking

Seabis

Gerry M.

I see no grounds for banning me from this site (and indeed on other sites). The bans in the past have been as a resut of emotional, often irrational and abusive responses from others to robustly put opinion. In the case of smoking it would be most surprsing as it my view that my opinions are shed with the vast majority of folks who don't smoke, who themselves arethe vast majority.

Smokers are a dwindling band, with very few people outside the feckless and criminal classes smoking, althoug lots of silly girls smoke whilst indlging in weekly or twice weekly binge-drinking and serial fornication - a recipe for a short and loveless life.

Steady lad, you'll get sent off. Do you vote New Labour?

GM

Doglips:

I do not disclose who I vote for on forums. I always vote at every single local, national and European election since I have been able to vote (1974).

What being anti-smoking has to do with New Labour escapes me as I am sure there are smokers and non-smokers in all parties and for those who hold no party membership.

Moderator: please do not delete this reply.

• 3 months later...
Does anybody think that P/O need to revise their smoking polcy, with less people smoking every year it needs constantly updateing.

I do, but to be honest, this topic has been done to death on just about every cruise forum on the planet.

Normally they are not pleasant discussions!

Does anybody think that P/O need to revise their smoking polcy, with less people smoking every year it needs constantly updateing.

Stopgo

Figures our to-day suggest to the contrary.

No Doubt many less smokers are cruising with P&O due to its draconian policy.

Returning from a recent Sea Princess cruise , 95% Brits, were there was a sensible smoking policy. I did not observe any problems between smokers and non smokers.

CruiseBore

Cruisebore I need more info, are you actually saying more people are smoking this year than before, or there is no difference from last year.

Stopgo

More are smoking according to

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095784/Smoking-ban-difference-figures-reveal-MORE-men-taken-habit.html

But don't worry non smokers you are in for some 'rock bottom' prices from P&O.

Cruisebore

Thanks for the info C/B, I think I misunderstood your orginal post. I thought you ment there was an increase in new smokers, where its a small increase in the amount smoked. If you go the recession thread you will read my thoughts on the the economy, and why cheap holidays may only be for the few.

TBH I am a non-smoker and I think its reasonable for people to smoke if they want to as long as it does not affect non-smoker like myself.

I think they should have smoking cabins and non-smoking cabins like they do with hotel rooms. People can then smoke in their rooms or outside on designated parts of the deck.

My brother is a fireman and "most" fires are started by disgarded cigarette butts. That is a good reason to have certain safe monitored areas on a ship for smokers, and ashtrays in smoking rooms.

Also someone mentioned alzheimer's, there have been prooved to be a link between passive smoking and alzheimer's, both my grandparents have it and my grandad was/is a heavy smoker. The consultant who treats them was telling us about his research which has prooved a link.

Chris

I was suprised to see passengers sat at tables near the pool on the Ventura smoking, especially when fellow passengers were using the area for dinning. Having said that it was a designated smoking area, just seemed strange it was allowed in a area where people were having meals.

Please stay on topic and keep the discussion responsive to the original post. Discussions of medical implications associated with smoking are clearly off topic.

Thanks.

I have just come off the phone to P & O regarding the new no smoking policy.

We have booked a Panama Canal cruise over the Christmas period. I fully understand the restrictions on smoking in any food area's or in theatre or show lounges, but I do feel that there should be at least one bar or an area in a bar where smokers can sit in relative comfort and enjoy a drink we certainly don't pay any less for the cruise. Because we have booked a Balcony stateroom P&O say that if we cancel they will not be able to refund our deposit as I still have somewhere to smoke. Having just come back from a 16 night Princess Baltic\ Med cruise where smoking was allowed in the Royal bar we found that it was always the busiest bar and the extraction system seemed to work to the satisfaction of all. I have been told that I have to write to customer relations to see if they can refund any of my deposit if I cancel. My biggest complaint is that before we booked we made our travel agent phone P7O regarding their smoking policy and was assured that smoking was allowed in the stateroom and in selected areas around the ship. I would like to know if anyone else has had a different response re cancellation

On our cruise on Artemis in September, luckily our cabin did not smell of smoke, but just walking down the corridor on C deck, the stink that came out of some of the other cabins was absolutely disgusting. So have to confess I am looking forward to our next cruise on Artemis when there is no smoking in cabins. From a safety point of view, I cannot believe they have ever allowed smoking in cabins on a ship. And as an ex-smoker, I'm still not sure I would have felt comfortable smoking in a cabin.

Smoking was allowed one side of the conservatory outside area and if the wind is blowing it still blows at you, but then you can at least move.

Archived