Must Eat - Cozumel

badkittyx2

You know.. I have seen a lot of "must see" threads but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to "must eat" local food.

What have you tried in Cozumel and your recommendations?

"Foods" specifically:

Ixnepech (spicy salsa like concoction, which loosely translates to "dog snout", in Mayan, because it has the ability to make your nose run).

Pollo en Mole (chicken in a rich sauce that contains roasted and soaked poblanos, vegatable oil, a bit of chocolate, and other spices). Delicious!

:)

I saw a cooking show last weekend, (I know, but I'm on a antenna, ok,):rolleyes: that showed how to cook a Yucatan pork shoulder and it was cooked in banana leaves. I believe that it was called pibil, or something like that. If anyone knows the REAL name, please let me know. I'll see if I can find the website. It looked fantastic.

I saw a cooking show last weekend, (I know, but I'm on a antenna, ok,):rolleyes: that showed how to cook a Yucatan pork shoulder and it was cooked in banana leaves. I believe that it was called chozito, or something like that. If anyone knows the REAL name, please let me know. I'll see if I can find the website. It looked fantastic.

Clackey here ya go...Cochinita Pibil - A lean pork roast marinated in a tantalizing and surprising blend of Mayan spices which is then wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked until succulently tender. You can also do chicken the same way.

Clackey here ya go...Cochinita Pibil - A lean pork roast marinated in a tantalizing and surprising blend of Mayan spices which is then wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked until succulently tender. You can also do chicken the same way.

Si senor, that is it. Now if I can only wait for december.:mad:

Si senor, that is it. Now if I can only wait for december.:mad:

It contains a spice blend called achiote, which contains a lot of annatto (very red). I brought some back from Coz, and made a reasonable interpretation of it here, but did not have banana leaves, or bitter oranges to use, so tried a combo of blood orange and lime, and slow cooked it, and it was pretty good.

the last time I had Cochonita Pibil in Cozumel, it tasted rushed, as if they did not quite cook it long enough and had to crank up the heat. Still good, and I will certainly be having it again (I love pig!!).

When we were in Coz the last time (2003) Hubby went with some of the ship's crew (our asst waiter invited him) to eat at a place they go when in port. It is owned by a former crew member. They had Hungarian/Transylvainian food. The restaurant was in the outdoor court yard of the former crew members home. Just a few tables. DH enjoyed the experience, thought the food was OK, but he is NOT very daring when it comes to new foods. I wish I had went, but I was recovering from a jumbo marg. I drank on an empty stomach at Ponchos. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I recovered nicely napping while DH went off to try a new ethnic cuisine. I wonder if the place is still there ... not that DH could find it again ....

I wish I had went, but I was recovering from a jumbo marg. I drank on an empty stomach at Ponchos. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I recovered nicely napping while DH went off to try a new ethnic cuisine. I wonder if the place is still there ... not that DH could find it again ....

They should post warnings about the margaritas at Ponchos and several other places. People, they practically serve them in a fishbowl.:eek:

Paradise Beach-Seviche combo. Shrimp, crab, fish, conch marinated in lime juice. To die for!

Donna

Coconuts, on the East Coast also makes an awesome version of this.

Ceviche de Pulpo (octopus) at Casa Denis is also excellent! Don't let the fact that it is octopus put you off. :p

Sonora Grill and Casa Denis are two of our faves. Really try to venture out away from the seawall. (Read: Las Palmeras...which is overpriced, so-so food)

Look at Christi's restaurant list at: http://www.bluextsea.com . She is an American who moved to Coz a few years ago and opened a dive op. She has an awesome list of places that offer safe, great food at good prices. And best of all, they are frequented by locals.

D.

Sonora Grill and Casa Denis are two of our faves. Really try to venture out away from the seawall. (Read: Las Palmeras...which is overpriced, so-so food)

Look at Christi's restaurant list at: www.bluextsea.com . She is an American who moved to Coz a few years ago and opened a dive op. She has an awesome list of places that offer safe, great food at good prices. And best of all, they are frequented by locals.

D.

Try this link instead. http://www.bluextseadiving.com/cozumelinsights.php

:)

Archived