? about Alaska Cruise companion

betmust

I forgot I wanted to order this to take with me. I leave Aug. 6th for Anchorage, Princess McKinley and Princess Denali. Is there anywhere I can buy this to have with me on the cruise starting the 9th or do I get it on the ship. I would prefer to start reading ahead of the cruise.

Thank you

Bette

You can order it from Amazon and there should not be a problem in getting it on time, as long as you don't order the slow shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Mile/dp/0979491509/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217297386&sr=8-1

Also, your local big bookstores may have one in stock, ie Barnes, Borders, etc.

I forgot I wanted to order this to take with me. I leave Aug. 6th for Anchorage, Princess McKinley and Princess Denali. Is there anywhere I can buy this to have with me on the cruise starting the 9th or do I get it on the ship. I would prefer to start reading ahead of the cruise.

Thank you

Bette

I was looking on page 4 of the book and it says..."This book is sold by Princess Cruises as The Alaska Cruise Companion".

If you're going on a Princess Cruise they should have it on board ship in the gift shops (but I would contact Princess to be sure they will have ample copies on hand).

This is a an excellent book no matter which cruise line you're sailing on. But...his "Passenger Tip" sections are especially helpful for Princess passengers! There are also "Tips for Mariners" that are great for everyone.

This book has a lot of information packed into it...I thought it was very helpful particularly for a first time visitor who's trying to get the lay of the land.

Enjoy your time in Alaska.

Could someone tell me what they charge for this book on the ship?

I see Barnes and Noble has some used ones you can order from various dealers from $1.99 to $99.00 for 1998 Northbound Princess Alaska Cruise Companion.

Could someone tell me what they charge for this book on the ship?

I see Barnes and Noble has some used ones you can order from various dealers from $1.99 to $99.00 for 1998 Northbound Princess Alaska Cruise Companion.

I'm assuming that onboard Princess might sell it for the list price of $19.95 for the 2008 edition. I bought my copy on Amazon.com new for $13.57.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+alaska+handbook&x=9&y=20

I'm assuming that onboard Princess might sell it for the list price of $19.95 for the 2008 edition. I bought my copy on Amazon.com new for $13.57.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+alaska+handbook&x=9&y=20

thank you for your response. Can't imagine why a couple were $99 and the one from here in Texas was $40.92 or so. I will try Half Price Books first. We leave the 25th so should be time to order it I hope.

I don't remember what I paid, but it was at least that. I bought it on ship feeling like I only had to haul it one way. For me, that was a big mistake. I wish that I had it before the trip so that when it came time to use it, I would have already read it once and familiarized myself with the trip. The tatters then give you a detailed page correlation with where you are on the trip. I don't remember whether the naturalized referenced it as well, but it was a wonderful tool to have to fully enjoy the trip.

Janice

I see The Alaska Cruise Companion A mile by mile (1998 to 2004) guide by Joe Upton and The alaska Cruise Handbook A mile by mile 2007 or 2005 guide by Joe Upton. ON AMAzon

Then used @ Barnes Noble is Northbound Princess Alaska Cruise Companion 1998. Am I to assume these are different books? We are NB on Princess.

I see The Alaska Cruise Companion A mile by mile (1998 to 2004) guide by Joe Upton and The alaska Cruise Handbook A mile by mile 2007 or 2005 guide by Joe Upton. ON AMAzon

Then used @ Barnes Noble is Northbound Princess Alaska Cruise Companion 1998. Am I to assume these are different books? We are NB on Princess.

The one I bought on ship is the 2008 edition. I don't know that it makes too much difference, but the patters does give page correlation for going both NB and SB with the "new" book. It can't take too much to figure out where you are going to be by yourself, but many people were asking about the book and asking to borrow it so I think it is well worth anything you pay for it. We loved it.

Janice

. 51ZGz2LiKoL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide by Joe Upton (Paperback - Nov 15, 2007) - Illustrated

Buy new: $19.95 $13.57

13 Used & new from $12.09

In Stock

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

stars-4-5._V25749327_.gif (5)

Books: See all 1,146 items

Here is the 2008 edition I purchased on Amazon.com for $13.57. I hope this link works for you.

The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide by Joe Upton (Paperback - Nov 15, 2007) - Illustrated

In Stock

Here is the 2008 edition I purchased on Amazon.com for $13.57. I hope this link works for you.

In Stock

If your actual book looks exactly like that picture, this is not the latest edition. My cover is brown and the boat is a different ship and has different glaciers. It is also called The Alaskan Cruise Companion by Joe Upton and is the one supposed by the cruise ships. I don't know if he has done two with one called the Workbook and the other Companion or if this is not the 2008 edition.

Janice

Edited to add. This addition is so new that Amazon still does not have it.

Thanks for all the info--

Does anyone know if any of the Princess lodges will sell it in their gift shop?

Is the one that Amazon sells the same as the one Princess sells?

Thanks

Bette

The picture that was posted from Amazon is not the same as the one that I bought on the ship. I did venture into several lodges, but didn't go into the gift shops, so I don't know if they carry it or not. You could call them.

Janice

PS: Yes they sell it at all the Princess lodges, I just called for something else and asked.

If your actual book looks exactly like that picture, this is not the latest edition. My cover is brown and the boat is a different ship and has different glaciers. It is also called The Alaskan Cruise Companion by Joe Upton and is the one supposed by the cruise ships. I don't know if he has done two with one called the Workbook and the other Companion or if this is not the 2008 edition.

Janice

Edited to add. This addition is so new that Amazon still does not have it.

Hi Janice,

Well, possibly there are two different books by Joe Upton both sold by Princess. When I took on page 4 of my book is says it's the 2008 edition. The title is "The Alaska Cruise Handbook...A Mile-by-Mile Guide" by Joe Upton.

I wonder if the book you have, "The Alaskan Cruise Companion" is more geared to Princess passengers and has more information on exursions and other activities offered by Princess? I know there was a reader complaint in one review of the book I have...they wanted more information on the cruise itself. Do you think that could be the answer? :confused:

Kathy

Hi Janice,

Well, possibly there are two different books by Joe Upton both sold by Princess. When I took on page 4 of my book is says it's the 2008 edition. The title is "The Alaska Cruise Handbook...A Mile-by-Mile Guide" by Joe Upton.

I wonder if the book you have, "The Alaskan Cruise Companion" is more geared to Princess passengers and has more information on exursions and other activities offered by Princess? I know there was a reader complaint in one review of the book I have...they wanted more information on the cruise itself. Do you think that could be the answer? :confused:

Kathy

Kathy,

You could have something there. Since the person asked about buying it at Princess Lodges I commented on buying mine on a Princess ship. It is entirely possible that Princess has done something with it to make it specific to Princess cruises. On my page four, it does say, this book is sold in bookstores as The Alaskan Cruise Handbook. Look on page 101 and see if it says "Walking Around Town" and has a red troll touching a totem at Saxman. If so, then you are exactly correct that Princess has just repackaged this to make even more off people.

Janice

In Stock

The one we purchased on the ship had a different cover, was called the Alaska Cruise Companion and was labeled NEW EDITION on the front cover.

Kathy,

You could have something there. Since the person asked about buying it at Princess Lodges I commented on buying mine on a Princess ship. It is entirely possible that Princess has done something with it to make it specific to Princess cruises. On my page four, it does say, this book is sold in bookstores as The Alaskan Cruise Handbook. Look on page 101 and see if it says "Walking Around Town" and has a red troll touching a totem at Saxman. If so, then you are exactly correct that Princess has just repackaged this to make even more off people.

Janice

Yep...it's right there on page 101! Wonder what story those totems are telling?

Now I think I finally understand. The edition I have, "The Alaska Cruise Handbook...A Mile by Mile Guide" is for everyone.

The book is then tweaked for Princess Cruises (different cover, picture and name) and is sold as "The Alaska Cruise Companion" which is the edition you have.

On page 4 of my book it says just that..."This book is sold by Princess Cruises as 'The Alaska Companion'." Duh!

Ain't we the smart ones. Took us a while...:D

Archived