San Diego Hotels .. 3 options .. HELP

Booking my flight and hotel stay through Southwest Airlines so I can use a gift certificate I got. Based on availability through Southwest and rooms available at the hotels, here are the options I am faced with. Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated ...

Best Western Hacienda Hotel Old Town

Best Western Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Humphrey's Half Moon Inn

Thanks!

...Best Western Hacienda Hotel Old Town

Humphrey's Half Moon Inn

Thanks!

Well the first one is in old town and has decent access to the trolley to downtown. The hotel is pretty close to the state park and is on a hill. I assume some of the rooms have good views across Mission Bay.

The other 2 are on Shelter Island (location of America's cup teams when it was here). Shelter Island is a bit off the traditional tourist path but quite nice and scenic. A car is required if you stay on Shelter Island. Humphrey's is a bit unique in that it hosts a long summer concert series. This is really popular in town for locals but may be a bit of a distraction.

My recommendation for a tourist coming to SD

1) Hacienda - don't need a car and close to the action

2) Island Palms - seems like a nice property

3) Humphrey's

Take Island Palms if you want to be on the water and are willing to get a car and do some driving.

Good luck!

have you checked to find out which, if any of the 3, provide shuttle transfer to or from the cruise terminal. If they don't have a shuttle, you would need to take a taxi, and the BW Old Town is closest to the cruise terminal:)

We stayed at the Island Palms in March, it was a nice property and has water views on both sides, but it was NOISY! They were resurfacing the street in front and so our room was vibrating for several hours when we got there from the machinery going by outside and then the helicopters and planes were pretty noisy from the airport all evening and about 1:00 a.m. a HUGE military plan flew quite low right over us, woke us up, and vibrated the room, the helicopters and other planes started again very early in the morning.

Old town is great plus your hotel has Acapulco restaurant which has great happy hours...plus you are a short cab ride to cruise ship...plus you will be where california started...no doubt about it stay in OLD TOWN...we live in san diego so ask if you need more info!!!!

Booking my flight and hotel stay through Southwest Airlines so I can use a gift certificate I got. Based on availability through Southwest and rooms available at the hotels, here are the options I am faced with. Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated ...

Best Western Hacienda Hotel Old Town

Humphrey's Half Moon Inn

Thanks!

Thank you for the information. While none of them appear to offer a shuttle to the pier, they all have airport shuttle service. Given the responses here, and information gained from other sources, I think I am leaning more towards the Best Western Hacienda. The idea of being more towards downtown and not isolated out on Shelter Island means we wont need to get a car to go out and about. We're only planning to arrive one day ahead of the cruise so we wont be doing a whole lot of exploring.

Another san diegan vote for old town. Easy to get downtown to gaslamp and other areas (petco park, the waterfront, etc.) via trolley, and lots of local shops and restaurants in walking distance if you don't want to go anywhere.

Sorry, but I beg to differ with the majority here. We live in Pt. Loma (5 mins from Shelter Island and 5 mins from Old Town) and we have a boat in Shelter Island. First, it's not an island and it's not isolated. There are multiple restaurants w/in walking distance of either Shelter Island hotel (Brigantine, Miguel's, Fiddler's Green, Humphreys, Bali Hai, AJ's at Kona Kai, Blue Wave at Island Palms, Boll Weevil, Umi Sushi, and Old Venice, just to name a few... not to mention the pretty decent night scene at Humphreys Lounge after hours) Humphreys and Island Palms offer free hotel/airport shuttle and truth be told, you'd actually be closer to the pier from Shelter Island (Shelter Island Dr. to Scott St. for a split second to Harbor Dr.) It's a $10 cab ride problem. Old Town has some issues (sorry, but it does). The train and trolley run though the area and it has its share of homelessness. Ever since the majority of Bazaar Del Mundo shops were forced out of Old Town, the place is not the same.

Yes, if you stay at Shelter Island properties, there can be some naval aviation noise heard from North Island Naval Base, but Old Town also experiences the Lindbergh Field (commercial) air traffic noise. If you're lucky though, you'll be able to witness some serious naval ops from across the bay (wake up early and check out seals training right on the water in front of the hotels). By the way, the road construction on Shelter Island is now complete. For what it's worth, based on your list, I would put my friends or family members at Humphreys, Island Palms and then the Best Western in Old Town, in that order.

Good luck & have a great cruise!

hmmm...we have a ity..bity debate going on among us laid back San Diegans...yes we do. I'm going to crank it up a bit...yes I will.

Ok, PLHag...I'm going to let our readers know the real skivvy here...SINCE YOU STARTED IT!

Well now folks...the true story is that the planes from Lindberg Field usually take off over Point Loma (as in PLHag)...it's known as the "flight path". People like to talk about living under the flight path...yes they do.

The planes land on the opposite end of the runway over downtown San Diego which is WELL SOUTH of Old Town (PLHag knows this people...yes she does).

Not that I have any ax to grind with this whole issue...just because I live in Mission Hills which is right above Old Town doesn't mean one ity..bity thing (well...yes it does).

Seriously though...

Old Town is a tad (just a tad PLHag) more centrally located than Shelter Island and has access to the Trolley....because our guest doesn't have "wheels" it's probably easier to get around. Shelter Island is beautiful with all the great things PLHag mentioned, but without a car your activities would be focused in the immediate area. Shelter Island is a bit more peaceful than Old Town...it would definately be a more relaxing visit. Old Town is a busy place...I always have to be vigilant on my daily rounds not to run over our most welcome visitors.

If my memory serves me there are "rooms and there are rooms" at the Hacienda. A Trip Advisor report said that the rooms in the 100 and 200 blocks were nicer (may be the older rooms). You may want to double check that.

Enjoy your visit to San Diego...yes you will.

P.S. - If PL Hag reads this post...we're heading for Alaska as well. We're leaving August 12th - sailing the Inside Passage on Cruise West Spirit of '98. Got to get away from all these San Diego TOURISTS!. Yes we do. :D

We are going to be in San Diego in early June 2009. We want to be with in walking distance of a beach and easy drive to Sea World. What hotel would you suggest?

Get a hotel in Mission or Pacific Beach. The two biggest hotels are the Bahia and Catamaran. Mission/Pacific Beach are two of the most active beaches in the San Diego area and less than 5 minutes to Sea World. You may be able to walk from the Bahia but I am not sure.

Look in TripAdvisor for more information and ratings.

One additional fun feature of staying at either of these hotels is to get on the Bahia Belle sternwheeler for a cruise around the bay at night. They have dance music and a bar on the boat.

kk-1

Hilarious.

We always stay at Holiday Inn on the Bay (nothing special except you can wake up early and watch your ship pull in under your window) can we say convenience . yes we can

Take cabs if we want to get around to other areas .. can we say convenient .. yes we can.

But the funniest thing ever is if you have too much luggage or a mobility problem .. the Holiday Inn on the Bay has a Shuttle to the cruise ship terminal (which is across the street) .. is that service .. yes it is !

We are going to be in San Diego in early June 2009. We want to be with in walking distance of a beach and easy drive to Sea World. What hotel would you suggest?

I vote for The Bahia on Mission bay!!! I love that place :p

Right on the bay many fun things to do.. Beach right across

the street. Lots of nice walking, resturants and fun things to

do.. When ever I get a chance to go to SanDiego I always stay

on Mission Beach/Bay area.. I wouldnt stay any where else!!! :D

If you want to stay at the beach, then stay in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, or Coronado. I wouldn't be caught dead swimming in Mission Bay. It is very polluted, even at the best time times and is nearly always closed to water contact after any rain. Stick to swimming in the ocean, not in either San Diego or Mission Bays.

Thanks for all the great information and opinions. After all that, we decided not to go down a day early and will probably take a seperate trip to San Diego another time to spend a few days and really get out and see the sights!

I see you live in northern CA as do we, I would suggest going down the day before even if you don't plan to do any sight-seeing. We ALWAYS drive down to Long Beach or San Diego the day before the cruise, just in case. I would be too nervous flying or driving down the same day, many things can go wrong, just my 2 cents.

Hi, I read in your post you are from San Diego...

Any advice on the Holiday Inn on the Bay and the Holiday In Bayside? We are staying at both these locations, one on the way to the cruise, and the other on the way back...

Our other option is Ramada Inn in Hotel Circle...

Any advice you can offer would be welcomed.

Thank you...

Also, any suggestions as to what we can do in San Diego for these two days? I realize there is much to do, but anything we must do? And one more question if you don't mind....

My 17 year old daughter wanted to look for a graduation dress while in SAn Diego.... any suggestions where w ecan go for that?

Thanks again....

Maria

Holiday Inn on the Bay is right across the street from the cruise ship terminal, and only 2 blocks to the San Diego Trolley (light rail). You can also catch the Old Town Trolley for an all day on-and-off-at-will tour of San Diego if you don't want to have to get a car. It includes the Zoo and Balboa Park as well as Coronado and Mission Valley.

The Holiday Inn Bayside is toward Shelter Island on the west side of the airport. Not much is close by. It is best to rent a car if you are staying there and want to see anything, as the bus is not a very efficient way to travel around San Diego.

Must do: The Zoo and Balboa Park

Is this dress a formal (ie, prom dress) or a something less dressy? There is a huge shopping center at Horton Plaza that is popular with kids, and you can also take the Trolley to Fashion Valley and Mission Valley Malls for clothes shopping. There is a bridal store right next to Mission Valley shopping center that also sells formals and prom dresses. Tijuana would be another option for this (on the trolley) but I don't go there, so can't recommend any specific shops.

Hi Splinter.....

Thanks for the ideas....

Yes the dress will be formal, like a prom type/grad dress, long, gown, puffy,etc....

Any specific shops we should aim at for this????

Our time will be limited, but she shops fast, if she finds something she likes she buys it.... (as long as the price is somewhat reasonable). She doesn't like to spend tons of time trying stuff on once she has found what she likes, so that is a good thing.

We were in Miami last Spring and she purchased a dress there, (ten minutes in the store, picked out and tried on four dresses, bought one).. She was someone's date for their graduation and.... she loved saying she bought her dress in Miami, so for her own graduation, she wants to say she bought it in San Diego..... KIDS!!!!....

Would Horton Plaza have these formal gowns anywhere????

Thanks for your information, it's so nice to have all of this ahead of time, so we can plan our holiday well in advance.... really saves on the time factor...

One final question..... do you recommend the Zoo and Balboa Park over Seaworld??? We are stuck between the two, once we make our decision, that will be it, there is a tie currently..... not sure which way to go,..... any recommendations either way?

Thanks...

Maria

You can see SeaWorld in about 6 different cities in the USA...it is all pretty much the same. There is only ONE San Diego Zoo (and Balboa Park). I go to the Zoo 6-7X a year (I am a member)....if I go to SeaWorld once in 5 years that is a lot (and plenty for me). The cute factor and the way they anthropomorphize the animals at SeaWorld (vs. just letting them be animals) sets my teeth on edge...but each to their own.

For heavy discounts, I would look for dresses here: Off 5th in Mission Valley, Loehmann's and Nordstrom Rack. They are all within 100 yards of each other on the north side of Mission Valley Center right by the Trolley stop there. Also check out both Macy's and Nordstrom's (Horton Plaza for both, or Macy's at Mission Valley Center and Nordstrom's at Fashion Valley Center). David's Bridal is also near Mission Valley Center (on the corner of Mission Center Road and Camino del Rio North).

Hello Maria,

There is a great Outlet Mall located in the community of San Ysidro, near the Mexican Border. If you take the Blue Line Trolley to the last stop, you can walk there and then take the trolley back when you are done. Lots of great stores there and I'm sure your daughter could find a dress there for a reasonable price. You can e-mail me at: jagoodbar@cox.net and I'll gladly reply back with any info you need. My wife and I live walking distance to the Outlet Mall which is called Las Americas.

Archived