Will Laptop webcam work with shipboard Internet access?

Leo Jay

No, their internet is dirt slow, around 300 baud, and it transmit in packets. Webcam uses way too much bandwidth for that.

Fred

Actually, I think they send data using an old Marconi Wireless Telegraph that they pulled up from the Titanic.

At least it seems that way.

I thought that was what the big wire coming off the back of the ship was for internet and electricity. Sorry but Fred is right you can bring your webcam and save a video file and maybe email it if you really want to but the cost of the internet usage and time might be a bit ion the expensive side

ROFLMAO :D . . . Yes, ALL OF THE ABOVE is indeed true. Worst example of internet "access" I can imagine. I don't even bother with it.:(

Run into an "Internet Cafe" someplace in port. $3 for 30 minutes (or less), e-mail anyone that needs to know and "record" the cruise on digital camera and download and upload at SANE speeds when I've returned. :)

ROFLMAO :D . . . Yes, ALL OF THE ABOVE is indeed true. Worst example of internet "access" I can imagine. I don't even bother with it.:(

Run into an "Internet Cafe" someplace in port. $3 for 30 minutes (or less), e-mail anyone that needs to know and "record" the cruise on digital camera and download and upload at SANE speeds when I've returned. :)

I'm taking a break from posting live from onboard the ships, but I will use the onboard internet cafe if anything significant happens.

Fred

Actually, I think they send data using an old Marconi Wireless Telegraph that they pulled up from the Titanic.

At least it seems that way.

That was GREAT!!!! and TRUE!!! Slower than dial up. I was on NCL Dawn 5/07 and thought I was getting a deal on the internet package, all that I got was ROBBED!!!:eek:

Ha thanks all.

I don't usually have a problem with the ship's internet speed, since I'm usually just reading email anyway. And if I retrieve my gmail via Outlook, I can just download it, disconnect and read and reply at my leisure.

Well, the webcam's small, so maybe I'll bring it and try it in one of the ports' wifi spots.

Archived