Captain Max

SailAway8

• 2 weeks later...

Mary,

The price is $140 charge or $125 cash. Bobby will take your credit card info over the phone to hold your reservation, but does not run it unless you are a no show:D or choose to charge it the day of the sail. I have researched the daysails and have only heard great reviews on them. All have commented on the wonderful food too:p We are really looking forward to going. My kids have snorkeled in Grand Cayman but had trouble because the water was so rough. Bobby said he will take us away from the crowds to a place that's like a bathtub. I have heard others say he calls it 6 butt beach because there's never more than that many people at one time. I hope you have a great time on your sail! Let us know what you decide.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from our Day Sail with Captain Max. We were there this week and I highly recommend her! It was a fantastic day and couldn't have asked for anything better. The water and beach was gorgeous. Her first mate Julie was awesome and a very cool. The lunch they made for us was delicious! Her snorkel gear was very good!! I would definitely go with Max again. My family said they had the perfect day. I'll try to attach some pics.

9StThomas-CaptMaxDaySail44.jpg

9StThomas-CaptMaxDaySail54.jpg

9StThomas-CaptMaxDaySail36.jpg

Is this a total charge or a per person charge?

Mary,

The price is $140 charge or $125 cash. Bobby will take your credit card info over the phone to hold your reservation, but does not run it unless you are a no show:D or choose to charge it the day of the sail. I have researched the daysails and have only heard great reviews on them. All have commented on the wonderful food too:p We are really looking forward to going. My kids have snorkeled in Grand Cayman but had trouble because the water was so rough. Bobby said he will take us away from the crowds to a place that's like a bathtub. I have heard others say he calls it 6 butt beach because there's never more than that many people at one time. I hope you have a great time on your sail! Let us know what you decide.

Karen

Nice pictures, how do you get in touch with Captain Max? Do they have a web site?

I'm back from our Day Sail with Captain Max. We were there this week and I highly recommend her! It was a fantastic day and couldn't have asked for anything better. The water and beach was gorgeous. Her first mate Julie was awesome and a very cool. The lunch they made for us was delicious! Her snorkel gear was very good!! I would definitely go with Max again. My family said they had the perfect day. I'll try to attach some pics.

Viciouslysh glad to hear you had a nice time with Captain Max.

Can you tell me how the tipping process went? I was doing some research on this board concerning Captain Max a while back and seen a negative posting in regards to tipping. The thread referred to being asked for a 20% tip and the poster was very unhappy. It sounded like there was a disagreement and they felt like they were being pressured into tipping. An amount was finally settled upon... Anyway not a very positive post and it turned us off. We still have not booked yet.

Viciouslysh glad to hear you had a nice time with Captain Max.

Can you tell me how the tipping process went? I was doing some research on this board concerning Captain Max a while back and seen a negative posting in regards to tipping. The thread referred to being asked for a 20% tip and the poster was very unhappy. It sounded like there was a disagreement and they felt like they were being pressured into tipping. An amount was finally settled upon... Anyway not a very positive post and it turned us off. We still have not booked yet.

I know what you mean! I read the same post and almost changed my mind. But I figured, I always tip anyway. At the end while we were settling up($125pp), Max briefly mentioned that if we would like to tip Julie, 10-15% would be customary. I tipped $60 for Julie, which was about 15% for 3 of us. She made us very comfortable with seating, mats, a flow of drinks and served us lunch. It really was a great experience.

Nice pictures, how do you get in touch with Captain Max? Do they have a web site?

She responds very quickly to emails. She even sent a driver for us that held her Captain Max sign. Her diver was $10 pp each way and told us about the sites.

I have sailed with Captain Max.

I also highly recommend Pat who sails Independence from November-June or so. I love her flexibility; last December it was nice and windy so we wanted to sail a little longer before lunch, and Pat was happy to oblige. The day was tailored to what our group of five wanted to do. Oh, and she makes the best rum punch!

All sailing excursions expect you to tip, though they rarely mention this on their web site.

I think the prices they quote are within $5 or $10 of each other to stay competitive.

Who is Pat and do they have a web site?

I have sailed with Captain Max.

I also highly recommend Pat who sails Independence from November-June or so. I love her flexibility; last December it was nice and windy so we wanted to sail a little longer before lunch, and Pat was happy to oblige. The day was tailored to what our group of five wanted to do. Oh, and she makes the best rum punch!

All sailing excursions expect you to tip, though they rarely mention this on their web site.

I think the prices they quote are within $5 or $10 of each other to stay competitive.

Mizlorinj- Thanks for the website. We are visiting in Janaury so we have some time to make a decision. Do you know what the approximate cost is for a day? We have a group of 6 adults.

LUVMY2DOXS:

www.independence44.us

Have had 2 great experiences with Pat on her beautiful sailboat; a third coming up in November.

If she doesn't email back right away, she's sailing. You can read on her web site where she is and what she's doing.

Hmm, I think it's $125 per person. Last time I had priced 3 or 4 in STT, they were all about the same. And then 15% tip to Ray, the deck hand. You'd have to verify price with Pat though. I notice the sites don't usually post a price anymore.

I am trying to find emails to show what we paid last year and I think I deleted all after the cruise.

Hmm, I think it's $125 per person. Last time I had priced 3 or 4 in STT, they were all about the same. And then 15% tip to Ray, the deck hand. You'd have to verify price with Pat though. I notice the sites don't usually post a price anymore.

I am trying to find emails to show what we paid last year and I think I deleted all after the cruise.

Thanks, I'm think $125 is the going rate too. I already got a quote for that much from one of the others. Thanks! We've never been on a sailboat before so were anxious to give it a try. We like the private tours so much better than bigger ones.

Thanks, I'm think $125 is the going rate too. I already got a quote for that much from one of the others. Thanks! We've never been on a sailboat before so were anxious to give it a try. We like the private tours so much better than bigger ones.

I love sailing. My family chartered a sailboat for a week years ago in the BVI. It was wonderful.

Sailing is quiet--just the water swishing by. Well, once you motor out of the marina area. If you're going in January (your signature shows) you should have some good winds to really move! Pat (and others) takes a max of 6 people so it's not crowded at all.

Hope you enjoy it!

Archived