Customs Ref Jewelry Etc

STEPHEN LARKIN

I am just wondering--why on earth would anyone need to take more than one Rolex watch with them on a cruise? How much do they cost these day anyway?:D

It's a man thing. You wouldn't understand:)

Not sure if you would trust the Cabin safe, maybe be a good idea to put the rolex to bed every night in the pursers safe, im sure they might have safe deposit boxes..

What model Rolex is it by the way?

Ed.

:D :p :D :p :D

Not sure if you would trust the Cabin safe, maybe be a good idea to put the rolex to bed every night in the pursers safe, im sure they might have safe deposit boxes..

What model Rolex is it by the way?

Ed.

:D :p :D :p :D

Thanks Ed for your post , probably a very wise suggestion but the cabin safe on-board should be fine . My main concern was being hit for import duty at either side of the pond but as I have the watches papers and our friends on this site have advised , you rarely see the customs stopping cruise passengers .

Why more so on Cunard? There are dishonest people everywhere.

Indeed there are, but if its such a worry why get stressed out about it, its not as though you will be flaunting it about ?, l have a rather fine watch as well, its perfectly at home on my wrist,it doesnt require a watch winder and unless you notice my hand movements chances are the only person that knows its there is me, And that is how l would prefer it.

But now you mention it, Am l wise to go ashore in NY with it

My father, who has worn a Rolex for the last 25 years has had no issues traveling to and from Europe, touring in Europe or on any cruises he and my mother have taken. That being said, three years ago on thier annual trip to Pureto Vallarta - he was mugged right outside of their hotel and the Rolex was stolen. He was not seriously harmed (tho he was seriously irritated) and the watch was insured.

I would think that some care should be taken on shore excursions - especially ones you arrange yourself.

FWIW

Esmo

A blond passenger accompanied by her new found companion went to visit her two Rottweilers who were housed in the QM2's kennel.

"What are their names?" the companion asked.

"This one is Rolex and he's Timex", the woman answered proudly.

"Why would you name your dogs after watches?" the gentleman asked.

"Hellooooooo!" she replied, incredulously. "After all, they are watchdogs!"

Yes I am, therefore I can say what I said, without feeling guilty.

Excellent!

J

PS - jumping from thread to thread here but yes, there's a launderette on each accommodation deck on QV. They're v. small though. Only three washing machines and three driers in each.

Ok ok - so I use a secondhand joke. It was only a wind up. No need to tick me off. I'll watch what I'm doing in future.

J

J:

Perhaps it's time you spent your hours or tried your hand at other pursuits. Keeping on this line, your bound to be clocked about the head any second now. Face it, a minute band appreciates such works. But, to be crystal clear, I, for one, suggest a motion you be crowned King Kronos!

Michael

J,

Did you like the QV as much as the QM2?

Sorry, not yet had the pleasure of travelling on QM2. We're planning that (possibly) for next year, but more likely for our silver wedding anniversary in 2010. My previous Cunard experience is limited to QE2 and I think any direct comparison between QE2 and QV is likely to be invidious.

I enjoyed both ships very much indeed - both had their strong points and their failings (yes - even QE2). Highlights of the QV for me were the cabin and the theatre. On the QE2 the highlights were the service and food in the Mauretania Restaurant, but most importantly, simply travelling on her, an ambitious that I'd had since I was in my late teens.

Would I travel on QV again? Absolutely, without question!

Will I travel on her again? I doubt it - time and money are both limited.

J

Archived