Actual cost of medical evacuation?

A TA that I am considering using is offering free travel insurance - but this insurance only covers $20,000 for a medical evacuation.

Does anyone know what it would cost if you had to be evacuated from the ship by air? Or from a Caribbean port? We will be on the Mariner - Western Caribbean itinerary.

I am trying decide if this insurance would be useless - or if we could possibly add additional med evac insurance on our own. The other parts of the coverage seem to be pretty standard amounts for trip interruption, cancellation, baggage delay etc.

I am not sure, but you may want to check with your regular year round travel insurance to see if you are already covered by your normal policy.

Yes, I am planning on doing that tomorrow - looked through the written info we had and didn't find any mention of it.

But my parents are travelling with us, and they are on Medicare and Humana - I am thinking I remember that Medicare doesn't cover any medical evacuations.

I did a search and here are a couple of things I found

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "...very few health insurance companies cover the cost of medical evacuation, which can vary widely, ranging from a few thousand dollars to over $100,000, depending on the circumstances."

Today, many HMO's and insurance providers create serious obstacles to coverage outside the United States and medical evacuation may not be covered at all. An evacuation could costs upwards of $20,000 or more and without insurance, you will be stuck with it. Most important, medical facilities in foreign nations may not be willing to provide treatment based on coverage by a private HMO policy.

I suspect $20k isn't too far off from a median cost. Since these quotes came from write-ups from insurers I bet there's a bit of a scare tactic in play with that $100k number. It's certainly your call on the extra insurance, but make sure that both can apply. Often an insurer won't pay if you have other coverage. That would really defeat the purpose.

Yes, I am planning on doing that tomorrow - looked through the written info we had and didn't find any mention of it.

But my parents are travelling with us, and they are on Medicare and Humana - I am thinking I remember that Medicare doesn't cover any medical evacuations.

Medicare doesn't pay for ANY care outside the USA, except for some emergency care in Canada and Mexico...they will need to check their MedSup or Medicare Advantage policy to see exactly what coverage Humana is offering. Based on the plans in Texas there likely is some coverage via Humana for the medical care...not the evacuation.

Evac from the Caribbean to nearest (i.e. Miami hospital) may be $20K or more...depends on the aircraft, miles flown, specialized medical equipment or crew needed for the flight. From the Caribben back home...in my case to Houston would add on a lot of $$$ to the cost...aircraft fule, like ship fuel, diesel for farmers tractors, and gas for your car is very expensive now relatively speaking. I could easily see charges for a Barbados to Houston for example go to $40,000 possibly more...and Europe back here to well over $100,000....air med evac is a good business to be in these days.

If you are in an area where the USCG plucks you from the sea...er from the ship, and flys you in, consider that bill covered by your tax dollars...should you have a different operator elsewhere in the world...helo costs are multiples of fixed wing costs to operate and charges likewise are much more...it could easly cost many thousand to be plucked off the ship and flown to shore.

If you are a diver and have DAN, check what level and the coverage offered via DAN as well.

Enjoy the cruise.

I did a search and here are a couple of things I found

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "...very few health insurance companies cover the cost of medical evacuation, which can vary widely, ranging from a few thousand dollars to over $100,000, depending on the circumstances."

Today, many HMO's and insurance providers create serious obstacles to coverage outside the United States and medical evacuation may not be covered at all. An evacuation could costs upwards of $20,000 or more and without insurance, you will be stuck with it. Most important, medical facilities in foreign nations may not be willing to provide treatment based on coverage by a private HMO policy.

I suspect $20k isn't too far off from a median cost. Since these quotes came from write-ups from insurers I bet there's a bit of a scare tactic in play with that $100k number. It's certainly your call on the extra insurance, but make sure that both can apply. Often an insurer won't pay if you have other coverage. That would really defeat the purpose.

This is very true and average cost off the Explorer is around 25,000 according to hotel director. Travel insurance that covers medical evacs is a must today.

Seven years ago my mom had to be medivaced from her cruise. It cost 20,000 for the private jet just to get her to the hospital. Costs from there increased for the hospital stay and then the flight home. Insurance paid it all, including my dad's stay at a hotel. Since then, we've never cruised without insurance.

sad that we even have to consider money if we are so dire in need for a med evac. slap us with the bill.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. When the need is "dire", people will pay without batting any eyelash............ if they can. However, to be realistic, I don't believe a majority of people have the ability to come up with 20 or 30 thousand dollars quickly which is why they purchase insurance ..............

If you have older folks traveling with you, the odds increase for the need for med. evac. However, that said, my DH and I always take out the $1,000,000 medical policy on every trip (we are 39 and 51). For $200 we have peace of mind throughout the entire trip.

We've used it once (six cruises) when we had to cancel in advance (medical issues), so it's paid for itself just that one time.

Even if we hadn't used it, I'd still buy it.

I don't think the $20,000 is nearly enough.

Perhaps you can negotiate with your TA to give you OBC instead and then you can just purchase your own travel insurance policy.

Another option might be to talk with the TA and ask if it's possible to add the med. evac. policy. This might be more cost-effective than adding it on your own. It's worth a try.

Karen in Kentucky

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. When the need is "dire", people will pay without batting any eyelash............ if they can. However, to be realistic, I don't believe a majority of people have the ability to come up with 20 or 30 thousand dollars quickly which is why they purchase insurance ..............

Not everybody can afford insurance nor does everyone even HAVE any insurance.

My partner and I use the Amex travel plan, too.

And let me say this - several years ago my family was faced with this problem after my brother suffered an extremely severe injury while living in Greece... and it was going to be a minimum of $50,000 to get him to a proper facility in Germany...because of the team and equipment it would have taken. When hours literally count in whether or not someone recovers, the last thing you want to be worrying about is how will you suddenly come up with $50K in cash. We did not have insurance for this, nor did my brother. My mother would have mortgaged her house and sold everything she had to get that money...and frankly, we ran out of time.

If you were in say, Cozumel - they might evacuate you to a Mexican hospital because it is the nearest competent facility. And then how would you get the injured person back to the U.S.? Same with a Coast Guard evacuation. They will get you to the nearest competent facility - that facility may not be the one that is best for your trauma, though, and medically you may need to be at a different hospital, and then you are on your own.

The cost of the insurance is pretty cheap. It is priceless when you are faced with a life threatening emergency.

Only a fool would travel without travel insurance which usually costs less than $100 per person. Remember you do not have to purchase insurance for the full cost of your trip unless you are worried about cancellation. Besides all the coverage, the insurance companies provide contacts in foreign countries who speak the language and can get you the services you need. Definitely make sure the medical and evacuation limits are high ($100,000). $10,000 medical / evacuation coverage is useless.

Not everybody can afford insurance nor does everyone even HAVE any insurance.

I certainly hope the need for insurance never arises for you. In hindsight, it is pretty cheap and far more affordable than medivac or even medical care when traveling.

You're right about one thing, not everyone has insurance. Stay on these boards long enough and you will read stories that will change your mind about your statement. I do think you are wrong with the statement that not everybody can afford insurance. It's a very small cost of the trip, I'd rather give up a couple bottles of wine and a few souvenirs rather than travel out of the country without medical insurance.

I absolutely hate paying insurance premiums, most of it seems like money down the drain. Until you need it.

My mom had a heart attack while on a cruise. The medical evacuation from Costa Rica to Florida was about $24,000. She had travel insurance. The price of the medical evacuation is largely dependent on distance. Distance governs the type of aircraft that must be used. The larger the aircraft, the higher the expense, as the plane will consume more fuel and in all likelihood, have a higher paid flight crew.

I don't know what it would cost to get someone home from the Carribean, but I can tell you what it costs to transport someone from Hawaii, because we brought my dad home this year. From Hawaii to the midwest will cost around $70,000. At least in our case, insurance did not pay for this, nor did American Express Travel Insurance. It had to come out of pocket (up front).

When I came home, my wife and I purchased a plan from a company called AirMed in Birmingham that will provide medical transport from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world. It costs, I think, $350 a year for a family plan. There are a number of other companies that provide this service, but after the way AirMed handled my father's evacuation, we wanted to go with them.

One catch on a lot of travel insurance plans: Even if you can convince them that the transport is necessary, they will fly you to the nearest good medical facility. There is no promise to get you to a hospital near your home.

Only a fool would travel without travel insurance which usually costs less than $100 per person.

Well I guess I am a fool then. :rolleyes:

Travel insurance is something that needs to be looked at on an individual basis. What is wise for one person may be foolish for another. Both my wife and I have health insurance that covers us 100% for emergency medical care while travelling, including out of the U.S. We always fly in 1-2 days before our cruise decreasing the chance of missing the ship and both (thankfully) are in good health. For us the cost/benefit analysis of purchasing travel insurance for most of our trips does not make sense.

Travel insurance is something that needs to be looked at on an individual basis. What is wise for one person may be foolish for another. Both my wife and I have health insurance that covers us 100% for emergency medical care while travelling, including out of the U.S. We always fly in 1-2 days before our cruise decreasing the chance of missing the ship and both (thankfully) are in good health. For us the cost/benefit analysis of purchasing travel insurance for most of our trips does not make sense.

You are truly blessed that you have such wonderful coverage. Most of us do not.

You are truly blessed that you have such wonderful coverage. Most of us do not.

Yes, it is a great policy. Only negative is I keep hoping that it will start covering a monthly massage, pedicure, as well as personal training sessions at the gym. So far no luck.

I also travel two days early and I believe my medical policy covers me also. However, there is a chance that foreign doctors / hospitals will not accept your medical insurance. Also, your medical may have a low limit on medical evacuation. I doubt that your medical will cover loss of baggage or baggage delay of more than two days. When I spend $5000 - $10,000 on a vacation, I do not have to do a cost / benefit analysis for $120 insurance policy.

Archived