booking--online or??

tugboatjulie

I've read a few posts about going through a travle agent (whether in person or online) and using online sites such as Travelocity, Orbitz, Yahoo Travel. I'm not real sure if the latter are used much...anyone with experience in those?

Should I call around locally for rates as well? I feel like I'm already reseraching this to death. Those are cheapest I've found by searching online.

Thanks,

Julie

Should I call around locally for rates as well? I feel like I'm already reseraching this to death. Those are cheapest I've found by searching online.

Thanks,

Julie

I would definitely call around you area for rates - it can't hurt! :) I feel about the same as you, I've spent hours reading posts and reseaching, but I feel so much more informed than I did before I found this place. I say shop around for the best deal, and I hope you get it!

I've read a few posts about going through a travle agent (whether in person or online) and using online sites such as Travelocity, Orbitz, Yahoo Travel. I'm not real sure if the latter are used much...anyone with experience in those?

Thanks,

Julie

I've found that using the "big boys" on the internet, the pricing is not much different than using a local TA. In saying that, I typically use a TA with an internet presence and have found some pretty good deals. Just google "discount cruises" or something like that and you get a gazillion hits.

Remember some people need a little more hand holding than others, so if you are a high maintenance customer, you may be better off with a local. As we do it, if you know what you want and need nothing else other than booking the cruise, go for it.

I have been on over 10 cruises and consider myself a "low maintenance" customer. I always know what ship and cabin catagory I want. But, I still use a local travel agent. Now you're wondering why. Well it's for my peace of mind to start, A good travel agent will act as an advocate if you have any problems. I have heard of problems with booking through some of the online travel agents i.e. you never speak to the same person twice.

If I were you I would look for a local "brick & mortar" agent preferably that has been recommended by a friend or relative (my brother referred me to mine). Also be sure and ask if they charge any type of booking fees I would steer clear of one who did.

Perhaps I can add a question along with the OP. As I too am planning my first cruise and have already spent a month researching my options. I have been to a local TA with one of the largest cruise agencies in my area. While I have found that they are pretty comprable with the online agencies, I have found an online agency which will offer approximately $400 in OBC by booking through them. Yet the local agency cannot match this. Any thoughts on how the OBC work with different online and regular agents?

I have been on over 10 cruises and consider myself a "low maintenance" customer. I always know what ship and cabin catagory I want. But, I still use a local travel agent. Now you're wondering why. Well it's for my peace of mind to start, A good travel agent will act as an advocate if you have any problems. I have heard of problems with booking through some of the online travel agents i.e. you never speak to the same person twice.

If I were you I would look for a local "brick & mortar" agent preferably that has been recommended by a friend or relative (my brother referred me to mine). Also be sure and ask if they charge any type of booking fees I would steer clear of one who did.

I agree.

Also have been on many cruises (10th & 11th are booked) I also like doing the research of which cruise, etc... and checking out prices. HOWEVER, I have always used a travel agent (except the 2 times when I booked directly with the cruise line BEFORE I met the travel agents I use.)

I have 2 travel agents I really like. Neither of them are local .... I met both on cruises (one became a travel agent after we cruised with her). I think is is VERY IMPORTANT that you have a travel agent that you trust ... who is reputable.

I've recieved onboard credits through both of mine. They are great to make sure I'm seated with friends for dinner, and they watch out for any price reductions. Case in point: we just got an email from our TA for our cruise in November. There was a fare reduction. She's making it happen. It's saving us about $150 a piece!

Like barbee524 said, it just gives me piece of mind.

That being said, my 2 SIL's just booked on the same cruise we're going on in November. And they are going thru Travelocity. We did encourage them to go thru our TA, but they said the cost was better.

So, to each their own.

Archived