Just wondering

Chris41

Why is it that a person can't just ask a question here on CC and get an honest answer without all the judgemental people throwing thier 2 cents in. Time and time again a poster will ask about smoking drinking and bringing a bit of alchohol on board and over half the answers are burning the person at the stake. People are not asking for judgement they are asking to be informed. Please try to remember this. This is a wonderful site with a lot of great people that have a vast amount of experience in cruising that can be passed on to others to help thier cruise be better. Lets just all try to be friendly. Have a pleasant day!

Considering that people are protected by anonymity on message boards, they tend to say things and be much more outspoken than they would if talking face-to-face with a stranger.

It wouldn't hurt if newbies would take some time to look through the boards (search function is pretty poor but there are some instructions "stuck" on the board that explain how to search). They'd find these "hot" topics and perhaps get the answers and not re-open up the can of worms again.

Well, in my experience as a newbie, the search function is unavailable more often than not.

If you feel that we're reopening an old can of worms by asking questions, then scroll and ignore.

To be honest, the attitude of alot of the posters on here have made me more worried about my cruise (what have I done choosing this type of vacation???) than I was with my unanswered questions.

Well' date=' in my experience as a newbie, the search function is unavailable more often than not.

If you feel that we're reopening an old can of worms by asking questions, then scroll and ignore.

[b']To be honest, the attitude of alot of the posters on here have made me more worried about my cruise (what have I done choosing this type of vacation???) than I was with my unanswered questions.[/b]

Please don't let the few cranks color your opinion of cruisers in general. I've found that for the most part cruisers are positive, fun-loving folks. The few others you find on this site probably just reflect the same percentage you would find in the population at large, and like them should just be ignored.

Dear Monty'sMum;

Don't worry about the type of vacation you have chosen... I am sure you will love it... The negativity you feel and see on the boards is only such a minimal amount of the overall feelings cruises have... 99% of them are cheerful, fun-loving, and enjoy cruising.. the re-maining 1% are just having a bad day... keep asking, keep wondering, and all will be well... :)

Please don't take to heart some of these cranky folks and their comments.:eek:

Some of them forget that they were once new too and were gathering as much info as possible. After all, this is what the boards are for!

As in every day life there is always someone who tries to "stir the pot" sort of speak and ruin it for others. There is a ton of information here - also, don't forget to join your roll-call for your upcoming cruise, those people are great & I have made many new friends this way!;)

Happy Cruising!

To be honest' date=' the attitude of alot of the posters on here have made me more worried about my cruise (what have I done choosing this type of vacation???) [/quote']

I hear that. I've been on here less than a month and already have several people on my "ignore" list.

Monty'smum I am not sure why people have to be so rude. This is suppose to be a friendly/ educational board to help people. I was new at one point and I asked lots of questions so if you have any please ask and try to ignore the people that are having a bad day. Life is so short and I wisheveryone could just be happy.:) I know you are looking forward to your cruise and I do hope you get your answers from all the nice peole on these boards. You will have an awesome trip because once I took my first cruise... I was hooked. LOL :D

Considering that people are protected by anonymity on message boards, they tend to say things and be much more outspoken than they would if talking face-to-face with a stranger.

It wouldn't hurt if newbies would take some time to look through the boards (search function is pretty poor but there are some instructions "stuck" on the board that explain how to search). They'd find these "hot" topics and perhaps get the answers and not re-open up the can of worms again.

So very true! I notice this on quite a few other boards as well. Lots of people are brave on the internet. LOL.

All cruise lines have a web site. On that web site is a list of rules that the passengers have to follow. They list things like where you can smoke on a ship, can you bring liquor or wine on board, what to wear and when. Plus usually hundreds of other things. Most have a FAQ section that answers most of your questions.

What you get on the CC board in some cases are people that are aware of the rules of the ship but some try to circumvent them because they don't think they are fair or it's going to cost them more money or they shouldn't apply to them because "they're special".

It's these people that I object to. The people that come on here, know how to use the internet and I am betting that they have visted the cruise lines web sites before even coming to CC.

I will say CC doesn't have the best search mechanism for looking up past subjects. I have been on some boards where some members get real upset if you ask a question that's been constantly asked before and you have made no attempt to find past posts about it.:confused:

Why is it that a person can't just ask a question here on CC and get an honest answer without all the judgemental people throwing thier 2 cents in. Time and time again a poster will ask about smoking drinking and bringing a bit of alchohol on board and over half the answers are burning the person at the stake. People are not asking for judgement they are asking to be informed. Please try to remember this. This is a wonderful site with a lot of great people that have a vast amount of experience in cruising that can be passed on to others to help thier cruise be better. Lets just all try to be friendly. Have a pleasant day!

Chris,

You have started an excellent thread. Simply stated. people who go on cruises have exceedingly strong opinions about all aspects of the subject.

Similarly, there are opera fans who can debate the virtues of one singer over another, fairly or unfairly. There are high school football and basketballfans who are borderkine fanatics about their teams..."Remember the Titans" and "Hoosiers" or the cheese heads in Green Bay during the first week of December and Nebraska football, Duke basketball, and the Red Sox.

I believe that the responders here are being honest in their responses but please remember that few of the questions have right or wrong answers. Formal nights, for example, is a very contentious issue. Some people love the sense of tradition and style that a formal night on a cruise ship provides and find that bringinmg dress up clothes is well worth it. Others do not like formal nights...too dressy, old fashioned, not their idea of a vacation and so on.

You are absolutely right, that the responders should keep it civil.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

In todays world the internet provides individuals who are anti anything a place to voice their opinions....right or wrong. The fact that they can hide behind their keyboard only makes them more vengeful. A few months ago I had an individual who became very rude in one of the threads and he made some very unfriendly comments. He added that if he ever met me face to face he would straighten me out. I told him it was going to be his lucky day.......we were going to be on the same cruise...... have to love those posted travel clocks!! I should add that I never did get to meet him. Enjoy the positive.....overlook the negative.

Seems to me that if all of our wonderful members would periodically review the community guidelines, we wouldn't have so many contentious messages posted. In truth, do undo others....is what should prevail. It definitely helps if you do not respond to those who choose to be judgemental or harsh in their statements. All opinions are welcome, but rudeness and harrassment is not tolerated.

The vast majority of our members are helpful and friendly and are happy to share their past experiences with you. If the search mechanism isn't working, just find the thread you are looking for and scroll through the subject titles to see if your topic (or something like it is listed). If you are interested in a particular cruiseline, I suggest that you go to that board which is where folks who prefer that line often hang out. It also helps if you put your question stated clearly in your thread title. That will likely attract folks who are interested in or have information about your question. Good luck! Enjoy those who are sincerely interested in helping you.

It is always good to find a thread 10+ replies deep that has not turned left or some rogue posted running around the thread with a can of gas in one hand and matches in the other ready to spark things up!! As a member over numerous other forums this is seen on just about every one of them...and as mentioned already the fact of never having to been seen brings our the alter ego in some people...I would say that 98% of the same people that are rude online are probably the George McFly's of the world....

Great job every one for showing that we can be positive and friendly :)

Good answers everyone,

I am in the opinion also that 95% of the people who respond here are good hearted and really want to help others to have a good and stress free trip. I have also found that the search on this site isn't the best and understand some people don't have a lot of time to sit and read each thread to see if thier particular question has been answered. If someone wants to ask a question that has been answered in the past so be it. The people that fry them for it can just overlook the particular question and go on to others or they can answer in a joyful and informative way. The reason I asked this question in the first place is I had directed some first time cruisers to the site and they came back to me after reading some replies and stated they also were't sure if they wanted to try cruising or not and that they really didn't think they would use CC again . I really don't feel that is the impression of cruisers that we want to give is it?...I also understand we all have different views on subjects such as the dress code. If a person asks if something is ok or to clarify the policy I'm positive they are not trying to cause a problem a lot of the people don't want to feel out of place or overdressed\underdressed. I myself usually dress each night but I don't hold it against someone who doesn't and refuse to slam them for not dressing. People let's share our knowledge and experiences and help relieve some of the anxiety and stress of others.

I apologize for the post since it really doesn't have to do with cruising but felt a need to express my concern about the way others perceive us. It does always seem to be the bad that sticks in peoples minds. Have a great day and hope to meet some of you cruising in the future....Chris

I've noticed it too. I recently quit another pet-themed board because the *administrators* were on such a power trip. There were one or two members who were exceedingly rude, but it's far more rampant here than any other board I've been on in quite a while.

There are some patterns - there's a few posters whose *every* post is rude, obnoxious, dripping with sarcasm, or otherwise not worth the time it took them to type it. I've decided they must be pretty miserable, pretty bored, both, or stuck-up snobs who wish we "commoners" would stick to land-based vacations.

There are also a *lot* of assumptions made on this board, which I find interesting. Clearly no one has heard what happens when one assumes...

I've learned to have a chuckle and move on, but I will likely have to start utilizing the 'ignore' feature, as well.

Well' date=' in my experience as a newbie, the search function is unavailable more often than not.

To be honest, the attitude of alot of the posters on here have made me more worried about my cruise (what have I done choosing this type of vacation???) than I was with my unanswered questions.[/quote']

Those who simply answer questions, giving amazing amounts of information without heat or prejudice do not stand out like their counterparts, but they do vastly outnumber them. :)

Tee

Seems to me that if all of our wonderful members would periodically review the community guidelines, we wouldn't have so many contentious messages posted. In truth, do undo others....is what should prevail. It definitely helps if you do not respond to those who choose to be judgemental or harsh in their statements. All opinions are welcome, but rudeness and harrassment is not tolerated.

The vast majority of our members are helpful and friendly and are happy to share their past experiences with you. If the search mechanism isn't working, just find the thread you are looking for and scroll through the subject titles to see if your topic (or something like it is listed). If you are interested in a particular cruiseline, I suggest that you go to that board which is where folks who prefer that line often hang out. It also helps if you put your question stated clearly in your thread title. That will likely attract folks who are interested in or have information about your question. Good luck! Enjoy those who are sincerely interested in helping you.

Thank you!

To all our wonderful hosts I just want to say thank you for the fine job you all do. I never commented that these posts were in anyway your or the other hosts fault. If you took it that way I want to appologize right now for the misconception. I think we all know you can't watch each and every post all the time. I believe what the majority are stating is that this is a place to come for info and the few hateful and militant people are making it tough on the majority. For instance the new post about the fire on the Navy ship. I am a smoker and I do not care to be called low class or poor. These are the kinda posts that drive people away. Thank you again for giving your time. Have a very pleasant day

Your post makes a lot of common sense!

IMO, Too often the boards are more about "how to escape the rules". It's even worse on the fashion board. Women post for opinions on a dress that they've already decided to wear anyway, despite what anyone thinks. So why they bother asking for opinions I don't know.

The best posts I think are from the newcomers who truly ask decent questions, or ones who just returned from their first cruise ever. They tend to not be so "tainted" I think.

All cruise lines have a web site. On that web site is a list of rules that the passengers have to follow. They list things like where you can smoke on a ship, can you bring liquor or wine on board, what to wear and when. Plus usually hundreds of other things. Most have a FAQ section that answers most of your questions.

What you get on the CC board in some cases are people that are aware of the rules of the ship but some try to circumvent them because they don't think they are fair or it's going to cost them more money or they shouldn't apply to them because "they're special".

It's these people that I object to. The people that come on here, know how to use the internet and I am betting that they have visted the cruise lines web sites before even coming to CC.

I will say CC doesn't have the best search mechanism for looking up past subjects. I have been on some boards where some members get real upset if you ask a question that's been constantly asked before and you have made no attempt to find past posts about it.:confused:

WHINE, COMPLAIN, WHINE some more..:eek: :D ;)

To the OP, please do not get discouraged.. The ones that want to be the morality police just ignore.. Or better yet, as a host has pointed out, send a complaint about them and the offensive manner in which they are speaking.. These boards are a great place to get all sorts of information, first hand, about cruising..

Heck over in the float away lounge, you can find some really fun stuff too.. Both on cruising as well as not...

Sorry host if I step on your toes.. However I do know that if a poster gets enough complaints about the way that they post, they are banned from CC...

OP, do not worry.,. just relax, cruise around the threads and ask your questions.. 98.425% of the time, you will get straight, honest answers..

This is a GREAT site and again, has a ton of information...

Archived