Special lunch

Kikkycat

DH & I will be docked in Willemstad on January 28, 2009, which is the date we'll be celebrating our 10th anniversary. The ship leaves at 5pm, so dinner will be onboard our ship. We're interested in finding a spot to have a nice lunch, preferably with a lovely view. Any ideas?

Right downtown on the waterfront in the old fort area is an Italian place called LaPergola which we thought was wonderful. Nice view of the water. We'll be going back for another meal there when we are in Willemstad in Feb 09.

The Bistro was the first place I checked after searching the board and reading several good reviews. However, the information I found said they only served dinner. They don't have a functioning website of their own that I could find. Are they indeed open for lunch?

I will check for you later. There is another one called the Wine Cellar with very good food too.They are open for lunch. It's like a 15 minutes walk from town or if you are coming from an excursion you can ask the taxi to drop you there. The owner is a member of Chaines des Rottiseurs.

Cool - do you have that website please? The one I found (caribbeanedge.com) had this info:

Fort Nassau - Willemstadspacer.gif

Cuisine Style:

Internationalspacer.gif

Price Range:

$26-$50 per person

Dining Service:

Dinnerspacer.gif

Dining Hours:

6:30 pm to 11 pm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would make the day a special one with a trip to KONTIKI beach, with a lunch, couples massage under a thatch hut, and relaxing on the beach enjoying each others company. A few drinks, a light lunch and some snorkling or swimming in the sheltered area.

WE loved this beach.

Thanks Miss Kise - that's awesome advice for most people but the one time I bought my DH a massage he hated it. And he doesn't swim - never learned how. So strolling the city will be our main agenda there.

Did anyone ever find out if Bistro le Clochard is open for lunch?

We had lunch at a very nice restaurant in Curacao in the past & plan to have lunch there again while on the Grand Princess in Feb. '09. The restaurant is called Bistro le Clochard. They serve continental cuisine in a beautiful furnished jail or former cistern in vaults of old fortress. They have local specialities & nice desserts & it was noted in past comments on cruise critic that it was one of the most popular restaurants. Its on the Otrabanda side of the canal & is a little expensive but well worth the money. We are anxiously awaiting our return. If go to Curacao search on the web & look up restaurants, it should be listed.

Enjoy & happy anniversary.

Donna

Many thanks, Donna. I had searched after reading so many recommendations for Bistro le Clochard and found that most websites indicated they opened for dinner, which won't work as we sail at 5 or 5:30pm. Hopefully they will indeed be open for lunch for our trip in late January. It sounds delightful.

You should have no problem finding a place for a delicious hot lunch in Curacao... most of the island locals eat their "big meal of the day" at lunch time and then "snack" at supper.

There is a beautiful restaurant in the Hotel Kuralanda which is within walking distance of the pier. (Close to the swinging bridge)

It is in a courtyard so it has the ambiance of the outdoors yet has the seclusion of a garden. It is also part of a museum atmosphere with many local artifacts and murals displayed. Very interesting place all around.

The prices are reasonable to high end. Quality food with delightful presentation. There is no "view" so to speak ... (Fort Nassau has the best view in my opinion but you will need to take a taxi to get there.)

Fort-Waakzaamheid also has a nice view of the sea. It is perched on a hill close to the Mega pier and has a lovely terrace ambiance. It will take a very short taxi ride to get there.

They have a website under that name. (.net) You can view pics there. Hours for lunch 12:00 - 14:30. Their menu and prices are listed in Florins.

The last one I would recommend ( and all of these are for FINE dining) is the Restaurant & Cafe Gouveneur de Rouville. It is also within walking distance to the Mega Pier on the Otrabanda side. It has the options for inside dining (usually airco) or inner courtyard - outdoors under a lovely canopy of trees -dining. It has a website de-gouverneur.com where you can read more. It is on the Otrabanda waterfront and the site has a lunch menu for you to peruse.

I recommended these for you because you said it was for an anniversary. These places will have the higher price tags.

PS. There are also lots of "regular" places to eat a great lunch within walking distance of the pier. Lots of outdoor cafes and if you see the words Krioyo/Crioyo, it means local food and flavor. Enjoy! Eet smakkelijk. :)

Archived