The "secret" Splendor Cruise

Regguy

So, I've been looking into spring break time Mexico cruises for our first cruise. I was seriously considering Spirit for the 8-day, but thought that was a bit long for a first cruise.

This may already be common knowledge, but low and behold, there appears to be a Splendor itinerary for a 5-day Baja cruise on March 31. It appears to be tucked in between the 18-day South America journey that will bring her up the west coast to San Francisco and the start of her regular 7-day Mexico itineraries in April 2009. I say it's "secret," because it's very hard to find it other than through Carnival's web site. Most of the on-line travel agencies don't show it -- or didn't as of yesterday. You can't find it (or at least can't by doing the cusomary searches) on expedia or travelocity, etc. I just booked it through costco, and it took them a long time to find it so that I could book it.

As a consequence, it's pretty wide open in terms of cabin selection -- suites (spa and otherwise) galore, aft balconies, and the huge-looking catgory 9 wraps are all there. For those curious about this ship, looks like an inexpensive way to get on some of the highly coveted staterooms.

Hope this helps someone out -- as a cruise newbie, I'm sure I'm going to need the favor returned!

So, I've been looking into spring break time Mexico cruises for our first cruise. I was seriously considering Spirit for the 8-day, but thought that was a bit long for a first cruise.

This may already be common knowledge, but low and behold, there appears to be a Splendor itinerary for a 5-day Baja cruise on March 31. It appears to be tucked in between the 18-day South America journey that will bring her up the west coast to San Francisco and the start of her regular 7-day Mexico itineraries in April 2009. I say it's "secret," because it's very hard to find it other than through Carnival's web site. Most of the on-line travel agencies don't show it -- or didn't as of yesterday. You can't find it (or at least can't by doing the cusomary searches) on expedia or travelocity, etc. I just booked it through costco, and it took them a long time to find it so that I could book it.

As a consequence, it's pretty wide open in terms of cabin selection -- suites (spa and otherwise) galore, aft balconies, and the huge-looking catgory 9 wraps are all there. For those curious about this ship, looks like an inexpensive way to get on some of the highly coveted staterooms.

Hope this helps someone out -- as a cruise newbie, I'm sure I'm going to need the favor returned!

I saw it on cruise deals dot com:D It is pretty pricey. Although you were looking at spring the Royal Caribbeans Radiance of the seas will be sailing the end of Sept and Oct from San Diego 2009 with the same exact itinerary. About $170 cheaper on their balcony cabins. They will be back in San Diego I believe the following April thru May.........Also Radience offers the 4 day to Cabo........

And don't forget the Elation does this 4 and 5 day out of San Diego year round.......but no balcony cabins.......

Actually for the price of the 5 day Splendor you can sail the 8 day Spirit for the same price........

I would do the Spirit.......

Is that the week that some musican has it booked. I forget his name. There was a thread on here about it. If it is then the ship is bought out.
That's the three days before this...Mar 27-31. You're referring to the Mayercraft Carrier, which is a cruise chartered by John Mayer and other musicians.

hmm...I might have to look more into this one, considering my home port is LA :D

I saw it on cruise deals dot com:D It is pretty pricey. Although you were looking at spring the Royal Caribbeans Radiance of the seas will be sailing the end of Sept and Oct from San Diego 2009 with the same exact itinerary. About $170 cheaper on their balcony cabins. They will be back in San Diego I believe the following April thru May.........Also Radience offers the 4 day to Cabo........

And don't forget the Elation does this 4 and 5 day out of San Diego year round.......but no balcony cabins.......

Actually for the price of the 5 day Splendor you can sail the 8 day Spirit for the same price........

I would do the Spirit.......

Spirit would have worked out about $1,000 more for us for an equivalent cabin for 4 people travelling. On a cost-per-day basis, the Spirit would have been a bit less expensive, but the 5-day seems just about right for us and it's a brand new ship. The amount we're spending seems like the right amount for a first cruise to make sure we like it. The only other option for our dates was Paradise. It would have been less expensive, for sure, but it's a day shorter, we wanted Cabo more than Catalina, and there are some features of Splendor that are more important to us. Anyway, I was just sort of noting that all kinds of cabins were available -- the selection was way better than any other spring break cruises I looked at.

This is not the John Mayer booking. I didn't even know about that -- but I think maybe that explains why this cruise is available. They are really stacking them back to back. Interestingly, it leaves out of San Pedro. I think it's permanent dock will be Long Beach. I'm still not sure why this cruise is so difficult to find on line.

This is not the John Mayer booking. I didn't even know about that -- but I think maybe that explains why this cruise is available. They are really stacking them back to back. Interestingly, it leaves out of San Pedro. I think it's permanent dock will be Long Beach. I'm still not sure why this cruise is so difficult to find on line.

I think it's because of the big group that booked.

Um ... you did know about the 700+ "Swinging Nudist Bikers" that are going to be on board when you booked ?!?!?

:)

I think it's because of the big group that booked.

Um ... you did know about the 700+ "Swinging Nudist Bikers" that are going to be on board when you booked ?!?!?

:)

There's always a catch, isn't there.

Yes the Elation has balcony cabins, but they are NOT worth the money at all. Too tiny and no place for your legs.

Yes the Elation has balcony cabins, but they are NOT worth the money at all. Too tiny and no place for your legs.

The Elation doesn't have any regular balcony cabins, only the cat 11 and 12 suites have balconies.

I would still recommend you do the 8 day. As a new cruiser, your gonna wanna have a good number of days to take it all in. Trust me on this.

Archived