Strollers / carseats as checked luggage?

beckyjohns

Does anybody know which airlines do and do not charge for checking these items (either at the ticket counter OR gate checking)? Delta's website says it counts strollers and car seats as 1 bag each. Northwest's website says checked strollers count as 1 bag, but not checked carseats. I can't seem to find an answer from Airtran. Anybody know? Or any other airlines?

Does anybody know which airlines do and do not charge for checking these items (either at the ticket counter OR gate checking)? Delta's website says it counts strollers and car seats as 1 bag each. Northwest's website says checked strollers count as 1 bag, but not checked carseats. I can't seem to find an answer from Airtran. Anybody know? Or any other airlines?

We've flown Northwest, American, United, US Air and Southwest and gate checked both a car seat and a stroller. None of the airlines counted them as checked luggage. On the way home, we usually check the carseat as we have one on the other end if it gets lost, but it was always our second bag before the airlines started cracking down on luggage limits.

My advice is to go on the website under travel tools and look for yourself. I'd also recommend printing the page now as the policies could change in the future. I did this for my upcoming American flight in January as they currently (or at least at the time of my booking) count either against the checked luggage limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew Delta at the end of May with my DS who was 4.5 months at the time. Delta allowed either a stroller or a car seat to be gate checked for free. I chose to gate check the stroller since I needed it in the airports (connecting flight). And I checked the car seat (in a travel bag -- see Babies R Us website) along with my suitcase. Delta allows you to check one bag free of charge and the second I believe is $25 each way for $50 total.

Now at the end of august, DH, baby boy now 7.5 mos and I will take American Airlines to San Juan to board Adventure of the Seas. I was told by American that the stroller can be gate checked free of charge and the car seat can be checked regularly (not at gate) free of charge. All other bags -- 1st bag $15 each way and second bag $25 each way.

Please note the following from the Amercian Airlines website:

"If you did not purchase a seat for your child (under two years of age):

An approved child safety seat can be carried on board.

The device cannot be used in a seat unless there is an unoccupied seat available next to the adult traveling.

If an unoccupied, adjoining seat is not available, the gate agent will check the infant seat/child restraint device to your final destination. Please check with the gate agent for further details."

hope this is helpful...

We asked this question of AirTran for our upcoming cruise. I'll paste their reply here for you :)

Children twenty-four months and above must have a confirmed seat in order to travel.

A car seat is not required for children. However, in order to use your child restraint seat, the car seat must have a tag indicating it is FAA approved for use on board an aircraft (usually located on the back of the seat, the applicable statement is likely in red). You may bring a stroller to the gate for ease of travel through the airport. The stroller may be gate checked just before boarding the plane, it will be returned to the aircraft jetway upon arrival at your destination.

Car seats and strollers may be checked free of charge; however, any other items would be subject to excess luggage fees (i.e. portable crib high chair...etc.). Traveling with an infant, you are allowed more than the normal one carry-on item in order to travel with baby related items such as diapers, baby clothes, blanket, etc. We recommend that you carry on more than ample supplies of baby care items in the event that your flight is delayed. Security requirements prevent us from retrieving checked luggage from the cargo stowage.

Booster-type child seats, vest and harness-type systems, and lap held child belts are not approved for use in the aircraft during movement on the surface, taxi, takeoff and landing; they may be used during cruise flight only. The C.A.R.E.S. (Child Aviation Restraint System) is currently the only child safety device FAA approved for all points of travel, in place of a child restraint seat

Archived