Need opinion on the Dawn

NJLVW

We were fortunate this past March to have stayed in an AB suite on the Dawn. I am looking to go again this December and am wondering if I will be dissappointed if I am in an AE suite. I loved the AB especially the bathroom. I know the AE is not comparable as far as the room. If anyone has an opinion it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mean to sound spoiled. I am just having a hard time trying to make this decision. If the bathroom was the same I wouldn't be asking. If I had not been in this room it wouldn't matter as I prefer the aft of the ship. Having been on the ship how will I really feel being in a different room. By the way I am a creature of habbit and do not like change. Just not sure I can really swing the AB this time. Thank you for any opinions..

I booked an AE on the Gem last year for an April cruise and we were called for an upsell. There are only 8 AE's and people seem to really want those suites. We did upsell to an AA, so I can't tell you how we liked the AE, but you will get all the perks, just not the same bathroom. You do get spoiled, but we booked a mini suite on the Dawn after being in an OS 3 times and loved it.

If you're looking at 12/6, you sure can't beat that price for an AE, at about half the AB price. I'm guessing you might even get a call for an upsell since people love those AE's. You can book another cruise with the $$$ you save.:D

Good luck whatever you decide.

Jackie

Thank you for the opinions. We do spend alot of time in the room. I actually enjoy the aft of the ship. I am just having a hard time going to an AE on the same ship and same itinerary. You are correct I can save $$ and go again next year..tough decision. I hope to make soon. This promo ends the 17th. Again thank you.

Norma Jean

Good luck with your decision, Norma Jean! (were you named after Marilyn?)

I'm guessing you would enjoy the AE and it would be something new. I might try booking it again next time....

Jackie

I have stayed in the aft AD's on the Dawn several times. I have also been in the AB's and stayed in AA's on the Spirit. Frankly, as nice as the AB is on the Dawn, the AD (or AE) aft balconies are much larger. If you spend a lot of time on your balcony, like we do, that may make the difference for you.

Frankly, been in an AB I think it would be a lot of wasted space for my wife and I. The AD's have just enough space, same perks and much bigger balcony.

Thank you for the opinions. We do spend alot of time in the room. I actually enjoy the aft of the ship. I am just having a hard time going to an AE on the same ship and same itinerary. You are correct I can save $$ and go again next year..tough decision. I hope to make soon. This promo ends the 17th. Again thank you.

Norma Jean

We've stayed in all the penthouses. The bathrooms in the GV, AA & AB's are the best. The bathroom in the AE cannot be compare with an AB. It is small. The cabin is nice for 2 people and the aft balcony is great.

It is a lot of money for just two in an AB.

We're sailing Aug 31st on the Dawn in an AE and December on the Gem in an AE. Unless the upsell Fairy calls.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Jackie, no I am not named for Marilyn. Although everyone asks..

We are neighbors though just a town away...

Yes it is the 6th I am looking into. Want to celebrate the big 50 on a cruise. My daughter is taking me to Disney but that is not until Jan. I want to go somewhere in December. Not even sure how the seas would be. It is also the same itinerary I just did. I am so confused..Help...

Monty I hope the upsell fairy pays you a visit also.

I should just book it and hope for the best. If nothing else I will be on a cruise.... I just don't want to be dissapointed. I booked last year in the AE and was real lucky to have gotten the AB. I just can't see it happening to me twice.

Thanx again.

Norma Jean,

I'm sure everyone does ask, well not the younger ones. ;)

Where do you live? There are quite a few people from this area on CC.

Well, an early Happy Birthday to you!!! Great way to celebrate with a cruise and then Disney. Too bad you couldn't do a cruise out of Florida since you'll already be there. The prices seem to be much better from FL also.

We were on the Dawn for a December cruise and we had snow storms before and when we returned, but a great cruise. The first and last days are cool/cold, but there is plenty to do inside for those days. We have also gone in October and in November/December and had great weather and smooth sailing, but it's the luck of the draw that time of year. It's a great time to get away too.

We did the almost same itinerary on the Dawn as we did on the Gem this past April. We didn't get off the ship much, but we do like being on the ship more than visiting the ports, especially the ones we've been to many times. We both prefer land vacations for exploring and cruises for relaxing. Now when we do get off, it's usually to go to a beach or do some shopping unless it's somewhere we haven't been, but everyone likes different things.

Yes, I would book it and not look back. We've been called for 3 out of 4 NCL cruises for upsells and we booked the Majesty AA when I saw it for a GREAT price. It was $400 less per person than the AB, so no contest there.

You never know when that upsell fairy will contact you..

Let us know how you make out.

Jackie

Too bad you couldn't do a cruise out of Florida since you'll already be there. Jackie

The Dawn will be in Florida in December. There are a lot of us taking her down there to be sure she doesn't get lost on the way. :D

I really would have loved to do the repositioning of her as well. I can't seem to get that much time out of work at once. Someday....

Jackie, we are from Fall River.

The Dawn is out of Florida for the winter now. I have to break up the time. I did consider Disney then cruise but I need to come back to a job...otherwise no more cruises. Disney will be fun. Spending time with my grandchildren. I will need a vacation from the vacation.

I suppose I could look at different options. Having Anca as concierge has made a difference as well. She is awesome. I believe she will still be on the Dawn this year.

More research...problem sometimes is waiting to long not getting the room you want. I have always been so far in advance and this to me is like last minute. Do you know if all the AE's on deck 9 will be the same? I just checked and there is now only one left on 9...but my AB is still there...

I also wanted to do the repo in October with our friends we met on the Dawn in 2005. We sailed with them again on the Dawn and also on the Gem. You meet the nicest people iin CC.

Yes, we sure are neighbors. I almost went to Fall River this morning. Small world!!!

Too bad you have to break up the time. It would have been nice to go to Disney and then relax on the cruise, but it will also be nice to have two seperate and totally different vacation, and I'm sure you'll really enjoy spending that time with your grandkids. Do they live near you?

We've never had Anca, but have had some wonderful concierges. Loved Karin on the Majesty. She was fantastic and had a lot less to deal with on the smaller ship than they do on the Dawn and Gem.

I usually book 5 or 6 weeks out and booked 5 months in advance last time. DH is teaching now and only has certain weeks off in between semesters. No summer break except for the week in between.

The AE's look pretty much the same on the Dawn. I know that there were 2 HP AE's on each deck on the Gem, but I'm not seeing that on the Dawn. I've never stayed in one, so I'm not much help. I believe they're like the penthouses forward which I have been in though. They were very nice with plenty of room. I could be very happy in one.

I think I have some pics posted in my Gem webshots album. I'll have to check to see if I posted those.

Jackie

The Dawn will be in Florida in December. There are a lot of us taking her down there to be sure she doesn't get lost on the way. :D

'

Lucky you!!! I wish we were helping you bring her to FL!!!

I forgot that we share the Dawn now...:o

Jackie

Nice pictures. I have seen the AC on the Dawn. I just never paid attention to the bathroom. I know the AE is the same layout without the steel door. The past few cruises I have been on we stayed aft. Sky AB & Sun AC. Loved the Sun. Probably my favorite ship. I love the aft. The view is out of this world. I just got sooo spoiled by having the AB on the Dawn. Midship was fine but I missed my view. It was the bathroom. I look forward to having a whirlpool tub. I guess I can be without it for a week. The service and perks I assume are the same?

Jackie we had Anca twice on the Sun. We knew she was moving to the Dawn which was why I chose the itinerary. She is a doll. Very attentive.

I usually book 6-10 months out. I was originally going to book for next March. Then my daughter did the Disney trip. So, I thought December. I guess there is always next year I just can't see booking that far out...Jackie, you book 5-6 weeks out and still have recieved the upsell? Now thats wonderful.

Norma Jean,

Thanks, I looked and the pics of the AC weren't there, so I posted them yesterday. I had trouble uploading them and wasn't sure if they showed up. Glad they did.

We've only been on the Dawn, Majesty and Gem, but I'd love to try all of them. I love the view forward also, but you don't have the wind aft. I would like to try it sometime.

I love having the tub, but rarely make the time to use it. :( I don't think I did on our last cruise, but loved that shower! Yes, the services and perks are the same.

I've read other good things about Anca. Maybe we'll meet up with her someday.

Yes, we've gotten the upsell call when I booked early and when I booked last minute. It was wonderful.

Jackie

• 1 month later...

Just an update to my helpful friends. I decided to wait until March 09. I was afraid of having rough seas in December. So, yesterday I booked for March. There were no AE's left on deck 9. I ended up with an AD on 10. Thanx again for all your input. Now the wait begins..and planning...

Norma Jean

Archived