Navy ship fire caused by smoking

abcten

Thanks.......it is a nice city (but hot:rolleyes: )..........Cattlemen's is a classic........and gas today is $3.39 a gallon....

You got ripped - I got $3.29 yesterday! But of course, I'm not in Edmond. And it didn't have ethanol in it either.

On a cruise ship,, its all about the $$$$$$..

Lost revenue from banning all smoking will never be made up. Therfor the cost of cruising will go up to recover this..

Can you see it now, A surcharge added for Non Smoking.. ;)

Don't give the cruise industry any ideas! :p

You got ripped - I got $3.29 yesterday! But of course, I'm not in Edmond. And it didn't have ethanol in it either.

Yea that ethanol I haven't figured out yet.........still can't decide whether to put it in or not........:rolleyes: but it sure is priced right at the moment.

Shame on you both!!!! It is $3.85 here.................

Great steaks and cheap gas...............maybe I need to move.............

We enjoy NC as well.......our son teaches at Meredith college in Raleigh.

Sorry for the interruption.........now back to smoking.......or not........LOL!!

SMeyer

I am glad you posted that...I was just about to say that although we all agree that smoking can be a dangerous habit on a ship, in a car or anywhere else, ship fires can arise from other things besides smoking.

I was on the NCL Seaward (later called Norwegian Sea) when a fire broke out during the Captain's night formal dinner...the ship had so much damage that it could not be repaired until its scheduled dry dock since sections of the bulkhead had to be removed to replace damaged equipment.

What happened? Someone working in the ships laundry was not diligent in cleaning the lint from the dryers vents and a fire started in the laundry facility...the fire spread to the next compartment which was where the photographers developed their film and it was filled with chemicals which made the fire larger, hotter and much more toxic. When it was put out, Seaward lost all laundry facilities and dirty laundry and clean laundry had to be exchange at every port that she docked and we all were given a voucher for a free cruise on any NCL ship even thought the ship did complete the itinerary for the week.

You can't compare a Navy ship to a Cruise ship....They are entirely 2 differents things.....I wouldn't want to be the young man when he is caught, and he will be caught....The punishment is going to be quite severe along with the Captain...

Cadi

I do not beleive it was anyone's intention to compare a naval warship to a cruise ship...I think the intention was to show how fire is dangerous in many places and situations especially on the sea on any ship and that causes of such fires can be diverse

However, negligence or carelessness by anyone on any ship is a dangerous thing that can lead to the loss or life and possibly the loss of a ship:cool:

Interesting statement......not wanting to cause a big fight, but very interesting.....

and in terms of folks who cruise it is an even lower percentage as the greatest number of smokers are in the lower financial/socio demographics.

I think people that make this kind of statement are in the lower social demographics.:D

This has nothing to do with the cruise industry.

On board a Navy Ship,, you follow the rules of the Capt.

On ALL Navy ships, he sets the Place, Time , Duration of when smoking is allowed.

With over 5,000 men on board a ship, there are those who will "Sneak" and have a smoke. 99.9% of the time, you have those that either get away with it and there is no problem. THen you have this..Almost worst case scenario..

But rest assured,, this kid will, if and when found,, will face a much harsher punishment than you or anyone as a civilian will ever face..

On a cruise ship,, its all about the $$$$$$..

Lost revenue from banning all smoking will never be made up. Therfor the cost of cruising will go up to recover this..

Can you see it now, A surcharge added for Non Smoking.. ;)

Totally agree with your military experience.

However, it could just as well have been a Petty Officer or higher just as well.

Also do not forget the fall out to the chain of command's bad performance reports or worst that will also result in punishment from this fire. The Chiefs and Officers in charge of the area where the fire started are also in for a hard time.

There will be quite a few military careers ended by this fire before it is over.

I work for one of the largest mass market cruise lines.

All our polls and information tell us that the general American public has somewhere between 10% and 15% smokers.

We make daily and weekly counts onboard (for safety and statistical purposes) all our ships to identify how many smokers we have onboard at any given time.

The numbers vary by season of course, but always between 20% and 30%.

If you hate smokers, a cruise is the worst place you might choose to go. You are going to double or triple your chances of running into one if you cruise.

Totally agree with your military experience.

However, it could just as well have been a Petty Officer or higher just as well.

Also do not forget the fall out to the chain of command's bad performance reports or worst that will also result in punishment from this fire. The Chiefs and Officers in charge of the area where the fire started are also in for a hard time.

There will be quite a few military careers ended by this fire before it is over.

Too read the whole story,, the CO and XO were removed. Their replacements were the CO and XO from the Kitty Hawk..

WHICH<< is the very ship they were to relieve in Japan.

So, can you imagine the HELL the new CO and XO are going to bring down on the crew.. Being that they will more than likely be spending 12 months or more away from their family now???

I would not want to be onboard that ship,, let alone be the poor SOB that was the one that started it. That whole division from the DH, all the way down to the lowest recruit is going to be paying for that for a long time...

$3.60 on South Saunders yesterday, couldn't believe it had dropped that far. We happened to be on that side of town, I wouldn't suggest getting gas after dark there though:eek:.

MAC

Interesting statement......not wanting to cause a big fight, but very interesting.....

Yep! Very interesting. But are you suprised by the statement?

Remember the "smoke free" Carnival Paradise, went back to a smoking ship because there smoking customers spent a lot more money on the ships drinking and gambling. It's all about the revenue.

Very true. I was on the last run of the Paradise being a non-smoking ship and the crew specifically said that the reason they were going back to smoking was because there was much less money being made on the non-smoking cruise. They said that Carnival had the numbers to prove that smokers spend more, gamble more and party more. And if that cruise was any evidence, it's quite true. All of the clubs and lounges were empty.

Not a smoker but I don't ostracize anyone who does.

[quote name='Philip217']I work for one of the largest mass market cruise lines.

All our polls and information tell us that the general American public has somewhere between 10% and 15% smokers.

We make daily and weekly counts onboard (for safety and statistical purposes) all our ships to identify how many smokers we have onboard at any given time.

If you hate smokers, a cruise is the worst place you might choose to go. You are going to double or triple your chances of running into one if you cruise.[/quote]

Interesting disparity of percentages on land vs. on cruise ships.... I wonder if there are a lot of generally non-smokers who smoke on cruises. You know, the "when I drink" smokers like I used to be. ;)

[quote name='Philip217']I work for one of the largest mass market cruise lines.

If you hate smokers, a cruise is the worst place you might choose to go. You are going to double or triple your chances of running into one if you cruise.[/quote]

I agree that cruises are smoker magnets. Curious how you did your "counts" of smokers? How can you be sure you didn't double count someone? How can you be sure you counted all smokers? Just because you didn't observe them smoking, they could still have smoked when you didnt see it.

you cant predict whos a smoker or not ... i my self only smoke at home on my screened in porch only at night with a glass of wine. never day time or in my car.. Like one poster said "we have 200 people in our building at work and only one person smokes" .. you dont know whos a social smoker( or closet smoker) or not .. Some people that dont smoke all yr long ( a few people i know ) smoke on vacation ( not all time but one here one there ) so you cant say how many smokers there are out there... im not makeing this a
do smoke or not smoke issue.. its just hard to know how many people would smoke on a cruise or not.. :p

[quote name='abcten']Another ship fire caused by a smoker. When will they do the sensible thing and just ban smoking aboard cruise ships for the safety of everyone?

[URL]http://news.aol.com/?feature=110283[/URL]

[URL]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25937758/[/URL][/quote]

Here is a list of ship fires since 1835. If you take the time to find out the FACTS, you will see that most of them are electrical and engineering fires....not smoking. There have only been 2 confirmed deaths in fires where smoking has been the cause.....in almost 200 years.

[quote=G'ma;15656793]Here is a list of ship fires since 1835. If you take the time to find out the FACTS, you will see that most of them are electrical and engineering fires....not smoking. There have only been 2 confirmed deaths in fires where smoking has been the cause.....in almost 200 years.[/quote]
I don't believe that stat either. there have been many more than 2...The princess cruise ship that had a fire which was caused by a cigarette had one fatality....

[quote name='abcten']30% is way too high. The latest data shows smokers just barely dropped below 20% of the ADULT population for the first time in 2007. So smokers represent about 15% of the OVERALL population.[/quote]

Your statistics don't take into account those who have stopped BUYING tobacco, but rather, BUM cigarettes from their friends and co-workers.

And, your stats are wrong, percentage-wise, too - AND only targets adult smokers. If you want the real statistics, here is a link from Gallup with results of a recent Princeton study. If you're going to throw out statistics, make sure your facts are correct.....

[URL]http://www.gallup.com/poll/109048/US-Smoking-Rate-Still-Coming-Down.aspx[/URL]

The government has changed the smoking policy rules drastically over the past several years - and are now considering a no-smoking policy on beaches, in parks, etc. They have already put a ban on people smoking in cars when children are present.

As an ex-smoker (glad I am), I would like to see it banned completely. Not only on cruise ships but everywhere.[/quote]

Kudos to the Canadian government...maybe US should take note!

Archived