For anyone living in alaska, can i get a weather update?

melika091900

hey everyone

I was wondering to anyone who lives in alaska what is the weather forcast for the next 2 weeks ? we will be leaving on tuesday, and i searched online and all it says is showers.Im just wondering if its like stormy? or just light rain? or windy ? etc. we will be going to skagway, juneau and ketchikan.

thank you so much in advance,we cant wait to visit your beautiful state

melissa

Melissa,

I'm not in Alaska, but try this site. (Weather Underground) Just type in the different destinations in the search box. It will give you forecasts for the next 5-7 days.

~~~~~WEATHER~~~~~

They're not experiencing a lot of "nice" weather right now, but pack for layering and you'll do great.

Alaska is a beautiful place. Enjoy!

AV Lady

See the current weather for all Alaska ports on one page at http://www.youralaskacruise.com/cruise-weather.html (as well as historic weather averages - not that that means anything THIS year!).

Yeah, Global Warming, dontcha know. :p

It was cold for us in Juneau, Skagway & Tracy Arm. Our trip was July 19-26. Layering is the key. I had 2 long-sleeved shirts, a zip-up hoody, and a coat. One shirt had a hood, as well as the hoody, and I wore both.

My ophthalmologist just got back from a similar itinerary on Holland America. She said it was cool and rainy. While on the cruise she purchased a hat and gloves and a fleece jacket for extra warmth. The only port it didn't rain was in Ketchikan...go figure.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Just off Dawn Princess July 26th....rain/coldish in Ketchican (bought hats to cover ears and they gave out umbrellas at a jewlery story which helped) and Juneau....WINDY in Skagway....very nice in Victoria.....but a very WONDERFUL trip no matter the weather!! (layer, layer, layer--top being water/rain proof).....

I don't live in Alaska but we did the 2 week Tahitian Princess Alaskan cruise that left from Vancouver on July 10th and returned on July 24th and then stayed 3 days in Vancouver.

During our cruise we had a lot of rain, clouds, fog and cold weather. Several Alaskan residents told us that this was one of most rainy and cool summers they have had in many years. That meant more snow on the mountains when you could see them.

Definitely plan on layering your clothes and make sure you have a rain resistant outer garment that will go over a sweatshirt and other garments. We got to Ketchikan and found out my wife's raincoat wouldn't zip up correctly when she was wearing a couple of sweatshirts under it. Luckily there was a local store selling rain resistant coats for $20 in large sizes that she then used the rest of the cruise.

Weather in Vancouver was great with short sleeves shirts being all we needed even into the evenings. A lot of locals were wearing shorts. On the other hand in Victoria the next to last day of the cruise a coat and a light sweatshirt felt good to us. Oh by the way we are from Florida so cold affects us more than it probably would someone from a cooler climate.

Have a great next cruise.

We just returned from Alaska (one week on a northbound cruise followed by a few days on land). While it was cool, cloudy, foggy, and rainy most days, we would call the rain scattered showers. It wasn't stormy (did not enounter lightning or thunder) and the rain wasn't a downpour. It was a light rain that came and went, not steady and continuous. And there were times of scattered sunshine, too! The weather was never so bad that it got us down... we had a great time!

The ship had plenty of places indoors from which we could view the beautiful scenery going by. When going out on deck, we usually wore a long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, and insulated jacket. We had gloves and a hat or ear muffs in our jacket pockets for the times when it was windy on deck, and a jacket hood when it was raining. We enountered the most rain in Glacier Bay, and on that day we threw on an inexpensive plastic poncho over our jackets. Those who had umbrellas on deck seemed to be having difficulty with them turning inside out in the wind.

The only times outside when we were not dressed in layers was when we were in our swimsuits in the hot tubs out on the aft deck, soaking in the hot water and watching the majestic glaciers go by.

The unpredictable weather was part of the adventure of our trip to this ruggedly beautiful land.

hey everyone

I was wondering to anyone who lives in alaska what is the weather forcast for the next 2 weeks ? we will be leaving on tuesday, and i searched online and all it says is showers.Im just wondering if its like stormy? or just light rain? or windy ? etc. we will be going to skagway, juneau and ketchikan.

Try weather.com. You can get a 10-day forecast. It looks like it will be about the same as when we went last week (only nicer). It was just showers most of the time. I doubt there will be any storms, but it will say showers, rain, or storms on weather.com. It wasn't really that cold except for when we were in Tracy Arm. Just light to moderate rain and wind sometimes.

Don't pack all "winter" clothes. Yesterday it was pouring down rain, today we had a half day of sun before it started to rain again. Also, people usually complain of being too warm while wearing tons of layers if they are browsing around the shops. Pack a few short sleeve shirts just in case the sun decides to come out while you are visiting. Won't that be a treat?!?

I do live in Alaska, specifically in Chugiak which is just north of Anchorage.

It's 3:30pm right now and about 70 degrees with partly sunny skies.

If you want a good source for local weather forecasts, either go to http://www.ktuu.com or http://www.adn.com

Keep in mind that weather up here is extremely unpredictable so often forecasts are highly inaccurate including weather.com, accuweather.com, and the wunderground site.

You don't have to dress for winter weather but be prepared for possible rain and overcast days.

Archived