What would you prefer.....

cruzininga

Hello All

I need some help making a major decision. I am currently in nursing school and set to graduate May 2009. As a thank you to my mom, aunt and uncle for all their support, I wanted to do something very special for them. So here is where I need some advice.

Would you prefer:

a. to be given gift certificates toward a cruise

b. a paid cruise on the Dream with THE DREAM TEAM inside cabin or possible balcony.

I love the idea of being given the paid-for cruise directly, but I don't know how you would work it (I'm assuming it's to be a surprise) so that you would know what date to pick so that you are sure they could go.

So the cruise gift certificate is probably much more practical. And then they would have the fun of picking the ship and time they want.

Depends how well you know what would make them comfortable and how sure you are you could arrange things accordingly, e.g., might any of them be uncomfortable without a window? Would the couple mind sharing a room with the third person? Etc. Anyway, kudos on graduation, lovely gesture.

Here's what I was thinking. THE DREAM TEAM is a CC group that will be going on the DREAM 04/24/10. This would give me ample time to pay for the cruise and I would present it to everyone during Christmas 2009. I would book two cabins one for me and my mom the other for my aunt and uncle The sail date is a week off from my aunt and uncle's anniversary so it would also be a nice gift. I was hoping that 4 months would be advance notice for their jobs.

When our daughter got married, she and her husband had both been married before so they didn't need anything for the house. We gave them a cruise and booked it for six months later. That gave them time to arrange time off from work, make sure their id was in order, do any clothes shopping they wanted to, and give them time to look forward to the cruise. They lived in Virginia, but drove to a port in Florida so didn't need air. They loved it! Also gave other daughter trip for 10th anniversary, also six months ahead.......they all loved having a trip to plan for.

Congrats on graduation, and I think you'll make an awesome nurse..........you are obviously a very caring person. The best in life to you.

Here's what I was thinking. THE DREAM TEAM is a CC group that will be going on the DREAM 04/24/10. This would give me ample time to pay for the cruise and I would present it to everyone during Christmas 2009. I would book two cabins one for me and my mom the other for my aunt and uncle The sail date is a week off from my aunt and uncle's anniversary so it would also be a nice gift. I was hoping that 4 months would be advance notice for their jobs.

This is exactly what I would do - I don't think you could do any better myself!! Your Mom, Aunt and Uncle are very blessed.

This is exactly what I would do - I don't think you could do any better myself!! Your Mom, Aunt and Uncle are very blessed.

I'm very blessed to have the support of my family.

When times got a little rough I could call on my mom to help me with rent or send me groceries through the U.S. mail (lol).

I dont have a car at the moment but I can count on my aunt or uncle take me to places I cant get to by bus or train. They have no problem picking up the tab for dinner, checking on me when I'm sick, etc. Plus my uncle constantly worries about me since I live alone.

So I fugure this is the least I could do.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie

Come and join the Dream team, after finishing nursing school and working that first year a nurse you will need it. The first year was so hard learning so much. You will be amazed at what you did not learn in nursing school. I look back to my first few years and wonder how I did not kill any one:o . There is a saying around nurses, God takes care of fools and young nurses. Thank God. I also have some of my best memories of that year. Come on this cruise and I'll buy you a drink and we will discuss our stories. Best of luck finishing your final year of nursing school. It has been a wonderful career and brought me many joys. Doing this will allow you to spend very little while you are in school and pay the rest while you are working. I would think of giving it to them though at your party celebrating passing boards, that way they know it for helping you through this time in your life. For Christmas you can give them beachbags full of stuff you can buy in the fall as summer is ending and all that stuff is on sale. They can bring their bags on the cruise.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie

That was beautiful, Handsome! Thanks for sharing that. :) :)

To the OP, I'm very practical and would appreciate A a bit more. I'd rather choose my own cruise.

I love gift certificates.

Here, here!!

As far as the question, I'd choose B. They would have plenty of time to make arrangements and get ready. Great idea, by the way!

How about the best of both options.........Have a little dinner party and give them "gift certificates" that you have created for a Dream'in cruise for a future date to be determined according to everyone's schedules........You can certainly plan for the CC cruise and even go ahead with the $25 deposit.......not much to lose if not everyone can go that week, and you have to change dates......

I would like to have been able to book that CC cruise but I can't plan vacation after April 1 next year due to some work related restrictions involving our union contract......

How about the best of both options.........Have a little dinner party and give them "gift certificates" that you have created for a Dream'in cruise for a future date to be determined according to everyone's schedules........You can certainly plan for the CC cruise and even go ahead with the $25 deposit.......not much to lose if not everyone can go that week, and you have to change dates......

I would like to have been able to book that CC cruise but I can't plan vacation after April 1 next year due to some work related restrictions involving our union contract......

It is not until 2010, almost two years from now. Are you free then?"

I don't understand how you can pay for a cruise for four people, but you don't have enough money for food, rent, or a car? To me a year doesn't seem like enough time to save for such a big expense. If this question is too personal, I'm sorry that I asked.

I don't understand how you can pay for a cruise for four people, but you don't have enough money for food, rent, or a car? To me a year doesn't seem like enough time to save for such a big expense. If this question is too personal, I'm sorry that I asked.

ummm, yep. It sounds personal.

But you could assume, just to make yourself feel better, that when she graduates nursing school in 2009, she'll come out with a pretty darn good job and still have a year to pay off the cruise. She's looking at 2010.

Not that it's any of our business. :rolleyes:

My dil just gratuated from nursing school this last May. She received a position as soon as she gratuated. We are still waiting to see when she will be able to get time off. At this point we are hoping for Dec. or Jan. but we won't know if she will even be able to take off that soon. Understandable since she has not had this position very long.

My point is I think you better wait until after you get a great position and plan a cruise when it seems feesible for you to be able to take a vacation.......

Slow down....take a deep breath and finish that last tough year, get settled in your new career, then plan for a vacation:)

Sorry it's a mom thing:o

Good luck!

My dil just gratuated from nursing school this last May. She received a position as soon as she gratuated. We are still waiting to see when she will be able to get time off. At this point we are hoping for Dec. or Jan. but we won't know if she will even be able to take off that soon. Understandable since she has not had this position very long.

My point is I think you better wait until after you get a great position and plan a cruise when it seems feesible for you to be able to take a vacation.......

Slow down....take a deep breath and finish that last tough year, get settled in your new career, then plan for a vacation:)

Sorry it's a mom thing:o

Good luck!

Waited to long to edit my spelling:o Maybe I need to go back to school:p

It is graduated not gratuated:cool:

I just think it is wonderful of you to want to do something for someone :p

who obviously have helped you get through the nursing program, which is so hard, and you deserve a break, and the joy you will get just being with them before having to dig in and start healing sick people.:eek:

Nursing is a hard profession but very rewarding.:)

I go for what ever is easier on you

Beverly,

An OLD nurse;)

That is because this cruise is 2 years away. She will be done with school in a year which means she will be working in the nursing field for a year before the cruise. This is how she pay for it. I am sure that while she is going to school she is not able to work a ton of hours.

Archived