What would you prefer.....

cruzininga

Perhaps OP could answer the question about paying for the cruise herself? Or just not, but no one here can answer that for her!

I thought when I graduated from school (I went to school in my late 30s as a single mom of a toddler and work part-time), that once I was out, I'd have a great job and have ALL sorts of money!

Well, I did have a much better job, but I also had student loans (which are finally almost paid off (I'm putting my DD through school now as well without any loans)), a mortgage payment, and a whole lot of other expenses.

Guess what? My hoped-for spending-level has never quite materialized. Sure, I now cruise. Sometimes twice a year, sometimes once, sometimes I have to skip a year.

To assume that because one now has a degree and a professional certification means one will have gobs of money is a fallacy for most people, and one that gets many people in trouble.

They put the expenses on their credit card because after all, they'll be making ALL THAT MONEY and can pay it off as they go, right? And then they don't, and the problems begin.

OK. Off my soapbox. Just a warning. Somehow the money, even from a great new job, never seems to quite go as far as we hope.

Anyway, it is a wonderful gesture and, yes, there is a long time to pay for it. It just seems a little premature.

Here's what I was thinking. THE DREAM TEAM is a CC group that will be going on the DREAM 04/24/10. This would give me ample time to pay for the cruise and I would present it to everyone during Christmas 2009. I would book two cabins one for me and my mom the other for my aunt and uncle The sail date is a week off from my aunt and uncle's anniversary so it would also be a nice gift. I was hoping that 4 months would be advance notice for their jobs.

Perfect! Sounds like you have it all worked out to me!!!

Just for the record I vote for "B". The idea that you planned it all out and present it as a gift makes it even more special! Also - 4 months should be fine for them to arrange schedules.

Even for jobs like mine that have to schedule all of the vacation days for a particular year up front - they do not ask us to formalize it until January - for that year. We also have the ability to reschedule - if necessary. I think they will be able to make it work.....especially for something special, like this :D !!

Good luck.....let us know how it goes :) .

ummm, yep. It sounds personal.

But you could assume, just to make yourself feel better, that when she graduates nursing school in 2009, she'll come out with a pretty darn good job and still have a year to pay off the cruise. She's looking at 2010.

Not that it's any of our business. :rolleyes:

And....unless I missed it...she never asked for advice on how to pay for it :rolleyes: !!

NCTribefan, you made some good points about finances and credit cards.

I guess I was being a "mom" and concerned about how to pay for 4 people on a cruise, but as stated OP did not ask advice on how to pay for it. I'm sorry for my question which was very personal.

I don't understand how you can pay for a cruise for four people, but you don't have enough money for food, rent, or a car? To me a year doesn't seem like enough time to save for such a big expense. If this question is too personal, I'm sorry that I asked.

maybe you're being too generous,,, but i would take either one...

i would drop a hint though to make sure they can get the time off, or if they're not scared to death to cruise like some people i know.

I don't understand how you can pay for a cruise for four people, but you don't have enough money for food, rent, or a car? To me a year doesn't seem like enough time to save for such a big expense. If this question is too personal, I'm sorry that I asked.

I'm guessing you don't know what a RN makes :D DOU, ICU, ER, OR, RN's here in San Diego with Overtime are scoring 300k a year. I think she can make that up in no time.

Fred

Here's what I was thinking. THE DREAM TEAM is a CC group that will be going on the DREAM 04/24/10. This would give me ample time to pay for the cruise and I would present it to everyone during Christmas 2009. I would book two cabins one for me and my mom the other for my aunt and uncle The sail date is a week off from my aunt and uncle's anniversary so it would also be a nice gift. I was hoping that 4 months would be advance notice for their jobs.

I would do choice B...

Something else you could do (it would take some investigation, but doable) is call their places of employment and talk to their bosses. Ask them to please keep it confidential because it is for Christmas (you know they will) and then ask if that would be a problem. Get permission first. They would love being "in" on the surprise.

And congratulations on your upcoming graduation AND this is VERY thoughtful!

I'm guessing you don't know what a RN makes :D DOU, ICU, ER, OR, RN's here in San Diego with Overtime are scoring 300k a year. I think she can make that up in no time.

Fred

PLUS there are incredible sign-on bonuses... I work in hospitals for my job and what I hear from places all over the country, it's very lucrative.

In no way is this statement intended to judge the OP for their generosity and thoughtfulness--this is totally their own business. :D I'm just agreeing with Fred!

NCTribefan, you made some good points about finances and credit cards.

I guess I was being a "mom" and concerned about how to pay for 4 people on a cruise, but as stated OP did not ask advice on how to pay for it. I'm sorry for my question which was very personal.

Well to answer you original question. Lets just say that I have landed a very well paying job. I dont need a car because I live very close to public transportation, it stops right outside my door. I asked my mom for help with the rent ONCE thank you very much. And she sends me food because she loves me not because I'm starving trust me I eat very well at home. As a matter of fact I need to lose a few pounds.

My credit cards are paid off amd my student loans will be forgiven once I graduate.

All I wanted was advice not a lecture.

maybe you're being too generous,,, but i would take either one...

i would drop a hint though to make sure they can get the time off, or if they're not scared to death to cruise like some people i know.

Not scared at all everyone wants to cruise really soon.

My dil just gratuated from nursing school this last May. She received a position as soon as she gratuated. We are still waiting to see when she will be able to get time off. At this point we are hoping for Dec. or Jan. but we won't know if she will even be able to take off that soon. Understandable since she has not had this position very long.

My point is I think you better wait until after you get a great position and plan a cruise when it seems feesible for you to be able to take a vacation.......

Slow down....take a deep breath and finish that last tough year, get settled in your new career, then plan for a vacation:)

Sorry it's a mom thing:o

Good luck!

Well the cruise is in 2010. I graduate 2009. I think I may get a vacation within a years time.

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~ Melody Beattie

BEAUTIFUL!

Perhaps OP could answer the question about paying for the cruise herself? Or just not, but no one here can answer that for her!

I thought when I graduated from school (I went to school in my late 30s as a single mom of a toddler and work part-time), that once I was out, I'd have a great job and have ALL sorts of money!

Well, I did have a much better job, but I also had student loans (which are finally almost paid off (I'm putting my DD through school now as well without any loans)), a mortgage payment, and a whole lot of other expenses.

Guess what? My hoped-for spending-level has never quite materialized. Sure, I now cruise. Sometimes twice a year, sometimes once, sometimes I have to skip a year.

To assume that because one now has a degree and a professional certification means one will have gobs of money is a fallacy for most people, and one that gets many people in trouble.

They put the expenses on their credit card because after all, they'll be making ALL THAT MONEY and can pay it off as they go, right? And then they don't, and the problems begin.

OK. Off my soapbox. Just a warning. Somehow the money, even from a great new job, never seems to quite go as far as we hope.

Anyway, it is a wonderful gesture and, yes, there is a long time to pay for it. It just seems a little premature.

Well lets just say that I have a nice paying job now. I dont have any children, no mortgage, no credit card debit, no car payment.

If I wanted a car I could by one but why??? The cost of gas is entirely too much and I public tranportation is just fine with me.

Well the cruise is in 2010. I graduate 2009. I think I may get a vacation within a years time.

This is what I do whenever I change jobs... (not saying you have to, of course) I tell them I have a trip planned where all the arrangements are made already. NO ONE has ever done anything but write it on their calendars--it is a condition of my employment and everyone understands from the very beginning.

You'll definitely get a vacation. Forget all the naysayers and have a BLAST!

Fred

I've been thinking about relocating maybe I need to move to San Diego

This is what I do whenever I change jobs... (not saying you have to, of course) I tell them I have a trip planned where all the arrangements are made already. NO ONE has ever done anything but write it on their calendars--it is a condition of my employment and everyone understands from the very beginning.

You'll definitely get a vacation. Forget all the naysayers and have a BLAST!

Great minds think alike, that's what I planned on doing.

I've been thinking about relocating maybe I need to move to San Diego

With your job being a nurse, you could live anywhere and have a job. Just beware and investigate housing costs and such.

In Washington DC area, I know 2 hospitals that were in a "bidding war" and offered $30,000 sign-on bonuses after one year of employment with them there is such a shortage of nurses.

San Diego moved to like 4th in the most expensive place to live category... I think N.Y. got first place again.

Fred

I absolutely LOVE San Diego. I was there for 3 weeks on a job and totally fell in love. But I do not like the housing prices! :)

Archived