Falklands Excursion

Dreps

We are on the February 17, 2009, Rio-Valparaiso Insignia cruise. When I was investigating excursions in the Falklands, I came across great recommendations for Gus and Paula. When I contacted them recently, I received the following information about a new tour they are doing instead of Volunteer Point. We are interested in booking this excursion with them; though given the cost, we'd love to share it with another interested couple. (I posted this on the Roll Call, but thought this forum has much wider readership.)

This is some of what Gus and Paula told me about the new excursion:

“We are actually focusing on a brand new tour this year, we are doing excursions to a place called North Pond, also on the North coast of east Falklands but with about an hour less traveling time each way, and only 20 minutes of this being off road, there are Gentoo and Magellanic Penguins who nest there and over the last 5 years have been King penguins visiting for the season, although we can not guarantee them to be there as they do not nest there.

It is a very nice place to visit and will not have the number of visitors as Volunteer Point, as there will not be any more than 20 people there at any one time, this means that you will be able to get much closer to the penguins here that any where else. Included in the trip will be a packed lunch, with tea and coffee, and if time permits we will travel back to Stanley along a different route to allow you to see a wider area of our wonderful scenery and take in some of the famous battle areas from our 1982 conflict with Argentina.

The cost for this trip is £300, this is for up to 4 passengers and includes a fee to the land owner.”

Note, Oceania’s Penguin Excursion is $199 per person. So this would be about $50 less pp. Please drop me a line, if you are interested: dreps48@mac.com

Archived