Tongass Trading co online prices?

inkmahm

http://www.tongasstrading.com/content.aspx?projectId=1&page=Curio

I'm getting ready to put an order in for items from here to have them shipped home before we head to Alaska. For those of you who have recently been to Alaska, do the prices here look reasonable compared to what you saw in the stores?

For example, the 2.25 oz Alaska chocolate bars with the nice wrappers are $2.49 online. Is that about what they cost in the shops in Alaska? I'm thinking a lot of candy bars to hand out to people at home.

That looks reasonable for candy. You might want to check out www.polarbeargifts.net also. We were in their store in Anchorage and I ordered from them when I got home. They have candy bars 2/$4. I ordered more photo albums and they were the best price I found on line for those. Also, if you want some music CD's by Alaska artists, best place I found was CD Baby on line.

Hope this helps!

I have purchased and handed out hundreds of candy bars over the years. They are a great gift.

Last year, the Alaska brown bear/black bear etc etc bars had a coupon in the booklet, for Corrigans in Skagway, available at embarkment for 4 for $6, a significant savings. Also, I've purchased a lot in Walmart, where the slightly bigger Alaska Jack bars were also about $1.50 last year. (Walmart is in Ketchikan and Juneau)

Is there a reason you don't want to purchase them where there???

I have purchased and handed out hundreds of candy bars over the years. They are a great gift.

Last year, the Alaska brown bear/black bear etc etc bars had a coupon in the booklet, for Corrigans in Skagway, available at embarkment for 4 for $6, a significant savings. Also, I've purchased a lot in Walmart, where the slightly bigger Alaska Jack bars were also about $1.50 last year. (Walmart is in Ketchikan and Juneau)

Is there a reason you don't want to purchase them where there???

The only reason really is lack of time while we are in any port for shopping because I have us booked fairly solid for excursions! Juneau we're doing both Harv and Marv whale watching and dogsledding on a glacier. Ketchikan we're doing a combo Traitor's Cove and Misty Fjords with Island Wings. I'd rather see stuff than shop, I guess.

:) Last time we were in Alaska in 2005 we ran through Skagway like chickens with our heads cut off to get to a couple stores where we wanted to buy things. Same in Ketchikan. It was actually stressful trying to fit it in our schedule. I thought I could make our lives much easier this time by buying the "gifts" for people (including ourselves, a new Ulu knife set from the Ulu factory) and just have them mailed home ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure the Walmarts in Juneau and Ketchikan won't fit in our schedule. We MAY have time in Anchorage, but it would be just a couple hours early in the morning on a Tuesday before we head to Whittier for a Prince William Sound tour. We leave at 10 am for that. If there's somewhere in Anchorage that is open for shopping early I might be able to get there.

Polar Bear Gifts reply (quickly) to my email about their store hours:

We have 3 locations within walking distance of the Captain Cook Hotel. Our biggest store and the one closest to your hotel is located on 4th Ave and F St. That store is open 7:30am-11:30pm Mon-Sun. Our other Polar Bear Gifts store is located on 5th Ave and E St and is open 8am-11pm Mon-Sun. Gold Rush Gifts, our third store, is also located on 5th Ave and E St and is open 8am-10pm Mon-Sun.

Yay! Looks like they are open late enough (and early enough) that I might be able to get some shopping done in Anchorage.

Archived