Best time to go to Hawaii

ladycajun

I am planning a trip to Hawaii and will prob do the POA cruise while there. When is the best time to see Hawaii. I really would like to see the Whales, the large surfing waves,etc. I know there are some things that occur at certain times and would like to know when the best time to see most things is.

thanks

The good news is that whale watching and big waves on Oahu's north shore are both winter things - generally best in December - March. The bad news is that you won't do much of either from the deck of a cruise ship. Best whale watching usually done on a day cruise out of Lahaina (Maui). North shore waves are a bit more problematical. You probably won't know when or if they're expected to be big more than a few days ahead so it's tough to plan a trip around.

I can't help you too much with the "etc." other than to say it goes on pretty much year round on all islands. All things considered, though, I'd have to say that the best time to visit any or all of the islands is when you're tired of freezing your tail off on the mainland.

Ka Honu said it best for the winter-time activities. Feb. 11-22, 2004, Pebbles and I did a 4-day pre-cruise stay at the HHV (Oahu) and got to see some really big waves on the North Shore prior to spending the day at the Polynesian Culture Center.

While on the NCL Star's 7-day cruise, which the POA has similar itineraries, we saw dozens of whales breech near the Star as we were passing by Maui, had all the cameras going and people going ga-ga... We took a snokel excursion on Maui that went to a remote island spot, and on the roundtrip via the small boat, we (40 or so fellow passengers) saw more whales and even had one follow us for a mile or so. :eek:

Based on this experience, I would suggest February...Valentines Day....ahem... ;)

Hope this helps!!

thanks, I am definitely planning on spending a few days before and after the cruise on the Islands. I was primarily using the ship as a hotel and transport so I could see the other Islands. and there would be less packing /unpacking. but if I can get a multiple Island vac w/o the ship I really wouldn't care. The main thing is to see Hawaii.

BTW I'm from south Louisiana so there is no real cold time here!! LOL:)

thanks Christine

No "real cold time here?" HA!!! I froze my butt off in Eunice last Thanksgiving weekend and that's not all that far from you. Those damn people had frost on the ground and everything - that wet, bone-chilling cold. I'll stick to Hawaii, thank you (but you can bring me some boudin and andouille if you'd like).

Well are you a transplanted cajun or just visiting here. Your right I do get cold, but compared to most places its not bad...I can't stand the cold and would love to live by the beach. I have been thinking of taking a travel assignment in Hawaii in the next few years...I am an RN I love that type of weather and scenery...nothing down here to look at!!

Christine:)

Archived