Guaymas , Sonora , Mexico

GTVCRUISER

Wow, I didn't know that Guaymas was a stop for HAL. Guaymas is the nearest "city" the beaches of San Carlos, one of the 2 most popular beach vacation spots for southern Arizonans (the other being Puerto Penasco.) It's a major fishing port, so you can go fishing. When we go to San Carlos, they usually cook up some of the catch and give you lunch on the boat. There also is a dive shop or two in San Carlos, which is only about 5-10 miles away. There are some beaches there, but San Carlos has prettier beaches and some fairly decent snorkeling (not great, but doable.) Unfortunately, they are not very clean unless they are attached to a hotel. Now that you have puqied my interest though, I'll ask around to see if there are some suggested activities in the town itself and post them.

Yes, one of the Ryndam November cruises stops there. All I've been able to find out is that Guaymas is where virtually all the Mexican cultured pearls are from. We don't go there on our cruise, and I'm really sorry to miss it. From what I've been able to find out, there are a number of artisans in the town that do lovely work with the pearls from the area.

We will be there in October. We are on the 10 day cruise October 12th, 2008. We received a memo from Holland America saying that they replaced La Paz with Guaymas, which is great. Nothing yet said about excursions from Hal. We are looking forward to this stop

Acutally, I was in Guaymas when I was in grad school in Arizona about 40 years ago. It was a shrimping village then and I'm sure it's much, much bigger today. But I believe they still do lots of shrimping from guaymas.....yummie yummie yummie. You'll love this port.

Guaymas is a dump, I flew into the desert community in the late 90's when there was a Club Med nearby. I think the airport was just there to serve the Club Med. Basically, it was an asphalt strip in the middle of the desert with a very small building nearby. It is very isolated, but we had a great time.

Club Med has since disposed of that resort.

Archived